Transcribed from A Standard History of Kansas and Kansans, written and compiled by William E. Connelley, Chicago : Lewis, 1918. 5 v. (lvi, 2731 p., [228] leaves of plates) : ill., maps (some fold.), ports. ; 27 cm.

State Bank of Nickerson, Kansas

THE STATE BANK OF NICKERSON, KANSAS. The State Bank has enjoyed a continuous record of business service and prosperity since it was established in 1881, thirty-six years ago, under the name of The Bank of Nickerson. It was then a private bank, conducted by S. R. Marshall. It has been under state charter since 1897.

The present officers are: M. McCormick, chairman of the board; A. M. Brown, president; D. E. Richhart, vice president; L. C. Brown, cashier; H. E. Fleming, assistant cashier. The bank has a capital stock of $15,000, surplus of $30,000, while its deposits of $200,000 call attention to the high degree of confidence felt in its management and also to the prosperity of the community which it has so long served.

The bank is located on the main business thoroughfare of Nickerson, its home being a brick structure which was erected in 1890 and is owned by the bank. L. C. Brown, the cashier, entered the bank in 1888 in that capacity and has served it continuously for nearly thirty years. The president, A. M. Brown, has been connected with the bank since 1897. They are the majority stockholders and control its policies. Mr. H. E. Fleming, the assistant cashier, has been connected with the bank since it was incorporated in 1897, and since that year there has been no change in the bank directors.

A Standard History of Kansas and Kansans, written & compiled by William E. Connelley, 1918, transcribed by Brian Johnson, student from USD 508, Baxter Springs Middle School, Baxter Springs, Kansas, May 2, 2000.