Pages 432-433, transcribed by Carolyn Ward from History of Allen and Woodson Counties, Kansas: embellished with portraits of well known people of these counties, with biographies of our representative citizens, cuts of public buildings and a map of each county / Edited and Compiled by L. Wallace Duncan and Chas. F. Scott. Iola Registers, Printers and Binders, Iola, Kan.: 1901; 894 p., [36] leaves of plates: ill., ports.; includes index.




J. E. JONES, of Iola, was born in Washington county, Pennsylvania, August 6, 1833, and is a representative of an old New Jersey family of Welsh lineage. His paternal grandfather, Peter Jones, removed from New Jersey to Washington county and there on the 23rd of March, 1826, John A. Jones, the father of our subject, was born. In his early life the latter resided upon a farm with his maternal grandfather, his mother having died when he was only a few days old. He was reared to agricultural pursuits and throughout his life engaged in the tilling of the soil, owning a portion of the farm on which he was born. In the fall of 1867 he left Pennsylvania and removed to Knox county, Ohio, where his father had resided for a number of years. After two years, however, John A. Jones went to La Salle county, Illinois, where he spent his remaining days. In 1847 he was united in marriage to Miss Nancy Hampson, who was born in Washington county, Pennsylvania, March 2, 1826, a daughter of Daniel Hampson, a native of New Jersey. Mr. and Mrs. Jones became the parents of four children, three of whom are yet living, namely: W. P., a resident of Anthony, Kansas; D. E., who is living in Grand Ridge, Illinois; and J. E. the subject of this review. The father died in LaSalle county, Illinois, in 1880, and the mother's death occurred in Grand Ridge, that State, in June, 1897.

J. E. Jones the immediate subject of this sketch, spent the first fourteen years of his life upon the old homestead in Washington county, Pennsylvania, and during that period pursued his education in the public schools. In 1867 he accompanied his parents to Ohio, and in 1869 to Illinois. On reaching his majority he left the home farm and entered the office of the Western Union Telegraph Company at Ottawa, Illinois, where he remained for one year. On account of ill health he was forced to leave that position and spent the succeeding year and a half upon the farm, after which he engaged in teaching school in LaSalle county, Illinois for five years. In 1884 he came to Kansas, locating at Anthony, Harper county, where he followed carpentering. In 1886 he purchased a shop and was identified with the building interests of that place until February, 1897, when he came to Iola. Here he engaged in contract work until the fall of 1899, during which time he and his partner, A. J. Servey, had the contract on the New York Store building and the Odd Fellows block. He also prepared the plans for the Masonic Temple at Iola. He now owns and conducts a mill at the corner of Broadway and South street which is equipped with machinery of all kinds and where he executes all sorts of wood work.

On the 16th of September, 1884, was celebrated the marriage of Mr. Jones and Miss Sarah Beymer of Coldwater, Comanche county, Kansas. They were the first couple to whom a license was issued in that county, and for this reason they were presented with a lot in the town site of Coldwater. Mrs. Jones was born in Terre Haute, Indiana, and is a daughter of Noah Beymer, a native of Germany.

After their marriage Mr. and Mrs. Jones resided in Anthony until their


removal to Iola. They have formed many acquaintances since coming to this city and now have the warm regard of a large circle of friends.

Mr. Jones joined the Odd Fellows at Grand Ridge, Illinois, November 5, 1875, and Ottawa Encampment in March, 1882. He is a member of the Grand lodge and Grand Encampment and is a Chapter Mason.

Previous | Home | Next