Transcribed from E.F. Hollibaugh's Biographical history of Cloud County, Kansas biographies of representative citizens. Illustrated with portraits of prominent people, cuts of homes, stock, etc. [n.p., 1903] 919p. illus., ports. 28 cm. Scanned from a copy held by the State Library of Kansas.
Historical Index | Biographical Index
New Index
A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | Y | Z

Previous Section | Next Section


The village of Meredith is situated a little to the south and east of the center of Meredith township. When the town was instituted or founded, it was expected a railroad would be built through this part of the country and that consequently a good town would spring into existence; the bonds were voted to this effect, but the survey was made to other points.

The first postoffice in the township was located at Meredith in 1868, with Abner Coffin, as postmaster. The papers were sent to him with a blank for name to be supplied and at the suggestion of his daughter, Mrs. A.D. Corning, the name of Meredith was adopted in honor of the colonel whom Mr. Coffin served under during the Civil war. Mr. Coffin was also the first justice of the peace in the township, and served in that capacity many years. The first merchants were Dan Yockey and George Carns, who sold to Morgan Grant. Mr. Grant took Reverend Collins as a partner. Later the store fell into the hands of Robert McLean, who bought and sold the stock three different times. In 1893, J.C. Mason assumed control and operates one of the best country stores in the county, receiving a large patronage. As Meredith is situated mid-way between Glasco and Miltonvale, he draws a fair portion of the trade that would otherwise go to one of these two trading points. Mr. Mason is the present postmaster. T.A. McLean, a brother of Robert McLean, started a blacksmith shop about the same time the store was established and continued there from 1868 until his death in 1883. He also carried on farming in connection with his trade.

One of the Continental creamery stations is located at Meredith and is managed very successfully by John Hileman. The creamery averages from eight to ten thousand pounds of milk per day. There is a good frame school building adjacent to the village and here several of the most prosperous business men, and some of Cloud county's best teachers, have received their education or from this little house of learning prepared to enter universities and colleges.

Meredith is situated on the main Pipe creek and a prettier site for a town could not be found. The farming country which surrounds it is second to none in the country and the farmers are all prosperous and well-to-do.


St. Peter's Catholic church, located in Meredith township, was erected by subscription among the congregation in 1886, at a cost of eight hundred dollars, aside from the work donated by the society. Prior to the building of the church, the Catholic society met at the various residences of its members.

The church was built under the pastorate of Father Mickloff, Father Mollier conducting the first services. This district is connected with the Glasco and Delphos parish, and the services are conducted by the priest from that field the fourth Sunday of each month. The membership includes twenty-four families. The church is modern in its appointments, is well furnished, with organ, etc. Miss Mary Richards presides at the organ.

The cemetery which is located just opposite the church was a public burial place, established in 1870, but at the organization of the church became a Catholic cemetery. It consists of a tract of twenty acres of ground, formerly owned by Mr. Murphy.


James P. Shea J.C. Mason Michael F. Shea William Marion Hardesty Margaret Ackerman Adelbert D. Corning