Return to Index
Previous Section | Next Section
THIRTEEN miles northwest of Hays on the highest point of the divide between the Saline River to the north and Big Creek to the south a little church rears its tower sixty feet into the blue sky. The church is visible for many miles. This is St. John's Catholic Church of Hyacinth, in Buckeye Township.
The movement to build this church was started by James Ross and John Miller. These men circulated a subscription list, entering twenty-five names thereon. They presented this list to Rev. Fr. Richard Dei, then pastor of Hays, in whose jurisdiction the territory to be formed into a new parish was located. John O'laughlin donated a tract of twenty acres in the southwest corner of Section Thirteen, Township Twelve, Range Nineteen, Ellis County, Kansas. On this tract the church was erected. It is a frame building having the following dimensions: auditorium 6Ox32, sanctuary, 20x18, sacristy 16x14; likewise a threeroom parsonage 16x28 was built.
The available funds at the commencement of the building was three hundred and fifty dollars. The church building was completed in three months and was solemnly blessed November 29, 1906, by the Right Rev. Bishop Cunningham of Concordia.
Twelve families constituted the entire membership, namely: James Ross, John Miller, Cornel Stecklein, George Schmidt, Alex Geist, Adam Pfeifer, Michael Geist, Peter Schoenfeldt, John O'laughlin, Andrew Pfeifer, Lawrence Maschka, and Alex Royer.
Rev. Fr. Edward Heil, O.M. Cap., was the first pastor, serving from 1906 to 1910. The following is a list of pastors to the present time: Rev. Stephen Bienemann, O.M. Cap., 1910-1911; Rev. Cyril Zeller, O. M. Cap., 1911-1913: Rev. Joseph Mayerhoefer, O.M. Cap., 1913-1914; during his administration parochial school building (two school rooms and six living rooms) was erected. The building, however, is not used for school purposes as no Sisters could be obtained; Rev. Fr. Norbert, O.M. Cap., 1914-15: Rev. Jos. Mayerhoefer, 1915-17; Rev. Justin Walz. O. M. Cap., 1917-18; Rev. Anthony Burkhart, O.M. Cap.; 1918-19; Rev. Victor Schiel, 1919-20; Rev. Didacus Garovi, 1920-21: Rev. Walter Herrmann, O.M. Cap., 1921-22; Rev. George Karlin at the present time. The parish has 46 families. numbering about 220 souls.
Picture: St. John's Church, Hyacinth, Kansas
Transcribed from The Golden Jubilee of German-Russian Settlements of Ellis and Rush Counties, Kansas, August 31, September 1 and 2, 1926