Transcribed from History of Jewell County, Kansas, with a Full Account of the Early Settlements and Indian Atrocities Committed Within Its Borders; Its final Settlement, Organization and Progress, Its Present Society, Churches and Schools, Its Towns, Streams; Topography; Soil and Products, Its Population; Township Organization and Officers, Its Industries; Business, Resources, Etc. by M. Winsor and James A. Scarbrough, Jewell City, Kansas, Diamond Printing Office, 1878. Transcribed by Carolyn Ward, 2001.

1878 History of Jewell County, Kansas

Centre Township

is located in the geographical center of Jewell county, and is composed of Township 3 south, Range 8 west. Although rather rough and broken, the soil is excellent, and the land is all taken up. The township is drained by the Middle Branch of Buffalo creek, on which there is an abundance of good timber and fine building stone. It is thickly settled by a good class of citizens, and the society is equal to any in the west.

The First Settlers

H.C. Ussher [?], now of Grand Round Valley, Oregon, was the first settler of Center Township, taking his claim on Middle Buffalo in July, 1870. The next settler was Jack Vlago [?], who took the claim now owned by David S. Blank, in August, 1870. S.R. Worick took the claim which he now owns, in May 1870, but made no permanent settlement until 1871. January 19, 1871, Ruben Worick came out and took the claim on which he now lives. He came back with his family in June, 1871, and has remained there ever since. David S. Blank came out in June, 1872 and bought out Jack Vlago. About this time the

Jewell Centre Town Company

was organized, and the present town site of Jewell Centre was was filed on and the town laid out. the officers of the company were: M.W. Whitney, President; P.S. McCutchen, Secretary, and Geo. S. Bishop, Treasurer.

The First Building

erected on the town site was a blacksmith shop, put up by David S. Black. The next was the present court house, erected by the Town Company and afterwards presented tot he county for a court house.

The First Store

was opened in Jewell Centre by Chas. W. Pettigrew, November 29, 1872. Other buildings followed in rapid succession, and immigration was unprecedented. By April 1, 1872, the town had grown to such dimensions that the residents concluded they would give Jewell City a tussle [?] for

The County Seat

consequently a petition to that effect was presented to the County Commissioners, April 7, 1873, and an election was ordered to come off May 13, 1873. The result of that election was that the county seat was moved to Jewell Centre by a vote of 861 to 626 for Jewell City, being a majority of 225 in favor of Jewell Centre. After this county seat matters remained quiet until June 28, 1875, when another election took place for the re-location of the county seat. The result was 971 for Jewell Centre, 756 for Jewell City, and 9 for Midway, another "imaginary town," on Middle Buffalo. The majority this time in favor of Jewell Centre was 206. Since the last county seat election the town has improved wonderfully, and is now second to none in the county. Our space forbids a more lengthy notice in this place. The long list of cards in our advertising columns will give our readers a very fair idea of the population and business.

Centre Township was organized August 10, 1872, and

The First Election took place August 28, 1872, at which S.F. Scripture was elected Clerk; A. M. Brinkerhoff, Treasurer; D.J. Vance and Geo. A. Sorick, Justices of the Peace, and R.F. Hudsonpeller and Richard Chilcott, Constables.

Schools and Churches

There are four school districts in the Township, all of which have good comfortable school houses and regular terms of school. There are three church organizations -- Methodists, Baptists and Presbyterians, all of whom have regular preaching and Sunday Schools. The Presbyterian church was organized February 18, 1877, and now numbers 2 members. They also have a church building in Jewell Centre nearly completed, 26 x 10. Rev. A.R. Naylor, Pastor in charge.

The Present Township Officer,

elected November 6, 1877, are: S.A. Metz, Trustee; H.R. White, Clerk; L.J. Gould, Treasurer; William Doty and John Fulton, Justices of the Peace an James John and W.A. Helman, Constables.

Jewell Centre

In our notice of Centre Township, we left Jewell Centre in 1875, the successful candidate for county seat honors, in a flourishing condition. The town is pleasantly located in the forks of the Middle Branch of Buffalo creek, and has grown with great rapidity until it has become the most important town in the county. The society is excellent and all branches of business are well represented. The following are the leading business and professional firms:

J.J. Dalton, one of the finest business men in the county, is the oldest druggist in the town, and is in the full enjoyment of an excellent trade.

W.S. Shapman, also a fine business man, is the oldest general merchant in the town. He carries a heavy stock of general merchandise, and is meeting with deserved success.

L.J. Butts, ex-county Treasurer, deals in "Everything." "Laf" made a good Treasurer, and he is a successful and popular merchant.

Doty Brothers are among the most substantial and hard-working young business men of the county. They carry a full line of stoves, tin and hardware, and general merchandise.

L.J. Gould is the pioneer wagonmaker of Jewell county. He is a good workman, and is meeting with big success.

Nels. Lindgrove combines the twin trades of blacksmith and gunsmith. He is an expert at both.

Fred A. Garber is one of the finest cabinet makers in the county. He carries a full line of furniture.

Captain D.J. Vance is postmaster, Clerk of the District Court, and does a general land office business.

M. Stone, Register of Deeds, and John W. McRoberts, Probate Judge, form the real estate firm of Stone & McRoberts. They are both good men.

Horne & Harrison form one of the most successful land law firms in the county.

The banking firm of Case, Vance & Co., is the only institution of the kind in the county.

Geo. S. Bishop & Co., at the bank, do a general real estate and law business.

C. Angevine is one of the rising young lawyers of the State, and is serving his third term as county Attorney.

Hanley & McBride attend strictly to legitimate law business with great success.

John H. Pattison runs a first-class billiard hall, and affords an excellent place of resort for "the boys."

Saunders & Howendobler carry a full line of drugs and medicines, and keep one of the neatest drug stores in the county.

Drs. Walter Crew and B.W. Slagle, are both Physicians and Surgeons of high repute.

Sam. Bowles keeps the Centre House and is one of the best Landlords living.

The town has a fine two-story school house, and the best teachers that can be found are always employed.

Jewell City

In our history of the organization of the county, we left Jewell City on the 22 day of August, 1870, with only three houses on the town site. Several other buildings were erected that fall, and the succeeding spring, when building became general, and business of all kinds was lively. John D. Robertson opened his general store, June 4, 1871, which was the first general store in the county. James Kelsey settled here in September, 1871, and commenced the erection of the Jewell House, which was the first hotel in the county. Judge J.W. George bought and Mrs. Dodge in October 1871, enlarged the house by building a two story addition, and erecting a large livery barn.

Geo. W. Angel came to Jewell City in March 1871, and contracted for the erection of the large hardware store afterwards occupied by him and Pat Fay; now by John D. Robertson. mr. Angel returned in September and opened his store. Pat Fay came out in June 1872, and from that time until the present, the firm has been known as Angel & Fay.

A.L. Marks came out in June 1872, and in August of the same year opened a small jewelry and notion store. Little by little he added to his stock; until in July 1875, he opened out with a full stock of general merchandise in partnership with his brother-in-law, Adolph Hirsch, under the firm name of Marks & Hirsch. Mr. Marks is one of Jewell City's most public spirited citizens, and has done more for the permanent improvement of the town than any other man of his means within its limits.

R.W. Hill came out in February 1876, and has been very successful in trade. March 26, 1878, he occupied his present elegant and commodious quarters. He carries an immense stock of goods, and is one of our most careful and experienced business men; is clever, accommodating and liberal, and is meeting with deserved success. See full page "ad."

J.D. Robertson has no superior, and we speak of him with pride as a business man. Besides handling an immense stock of general merchandise, he deals in cattle, hogs and grain. See "ad."

Geo. B. Crandall came to Jewell City in August 1872, and opened a small drug store. He now occupies a new and elegant store on the west side of the public square, and is a worthy and influential citizen.

The Stone drug Store on the east side of the public square, is one of the oldest establishments of the kind in the county. It is presided over by that prince of good fellows -- John M. Hutchison.

All the branches of business are well represented. J.C. Osborn and A.W. Berry, each carry on the saddle and harness business. H.F. Stone carries ont he furniture business. When you want to get your old gun repaired or a new one made, call on John S. Henninger. He is a gunsmith of forty years' experience, and thoroughly understands his business. S.R. Worick is Postmaster and Notary Public, and deals in notions, pocket cutlery and confectionary. Jewell City contains two good hotels -- the Jewell House, P. Meadows, proprietor, and the Kelsey House, James Kelsey, proprietor. Their "ads" will be found in our advertising pages.

Joseph W. Dogel, one of the old "Buffalo Pioneers," is one of the best stone masons in the county. The medical profession is well represented by Drs. Geo. S. Christ and O.W. Hughes. They are both gentleman of ability and experience. The last firm on the list is ourselves. We carry on a general real estate agency; see our card on cover.

There are other well conducted business firms not mentioned. We owe it to those who have helped us in this work to mention their names and in order to do so, have added several pages.

On the 24th day of March 1872, W.P. Day, assisted by W.D. Jenkins, now of Smith county Pioneer, and striving young man, commenced the publication of a four column paper called the Jewell City Clarion. In February 1873, he sold to M. Winsor, one of the authors of this book, who continued the publication of the Clarion until May 1, 1873, when he enlarged it to a seven column paper and changed the name to the Jewell County Diamond.

Jewell City may now be justly regarded as one of the rising young towns of the west. It contains two completed church buildings, and more are in the course of construction. It has one lodge of Free Masons and one of Odd Fellows; both flourishing. Its society is equal to any in the west.

White Rock City

This town is located in the beautiful valley of the stream from whit it takes its name, in Republic county, though adjoining Jewell. It derives a large share of its trade from Jewell, and several of its business men reside in Jewell. It is the largest town on White Rock creek, containing 259 [?] inhabitants. It has four stores, two hotels, two blacksmith shops, one harness shop, one boot and shoe shop. The business men are S.R. & S.R. Morland [?], general merchandise, also hardware and tin shop, the separate building, under the management of J.S. Tippery. Charles Parken [Parker ?], general merchandise is an "old reliable [?].} Crouch & Bros., have just started in general merchandise. H.K. Peckham, druggist. Geo. Caswell, boots & shoes. Geo. B. Smith, harness and saddles. Jonathan Tippery and D.O. [?] Badley [?], each have a blacksmith shop. Wm. Carman, wagon maker. J.Z. Scott M.D., physician and surgeon. Mrs. Geo. Caswell and Mrs. Chester Babcock, each supply millinery. Shuler & Leigh are Attorneys-at-Law, Real Estate and Collection Agents. mr. Shuler is one of the commissioners of Jewell county. The firm is reliable. See White Rock advertisements.


M.W. Rev. Wright, Pastor, Baptist, Rev. Howard, Pastor, Presbyterian, Rev. J.F. Donaldson, Pastor.

The Odd Fellows have a flourishing lodge.

There is a fine stone school house with regular terms of school.

The town of White Rock was located in 1871. The Town Company consisted of the following named persons: S.R. Morlan, Thos. Lovewell, A.B. Ogle, Ed. Lemey [?], Chester Babcock and G.W. Reynolds.

The Future

The Central Branch U.F. Railroad has a line surveyed through the southern part of Jewell county, passing close to Jewell City. This road will be built during the summer of 1878. A branch of the Kansas Pacific will be built this year from Solomon City to Beloit, 15 miles south of Jewell City. It is generally believed this road will be extended at an early day from Beloit through Jewell county, touching the towns of Jewell City, Jewell Centre, Burr Oak and Salem, and connecting with a branch of the Burlington and Missouri railroad at Red Cloud, Neb. This will [can't read this word] [?] the grandest development of a county that has, without [can't read this word] [?], outstripped almost every other county in the State.