Transcribed from History of Jewell County, Kansas, with a Full Account of the Early Settlements and Indian Atrocities Committed Within Its Borders; Its final Settlement, Organization and Progress, Its Present Society, Churches and Schools, Its Towns, Streams; Topography; Soil and Products, Its Population; Township Organization and Officers, Its Industries; Business, Resources, Etc. by M. Winsor and James A. Scarbrough, Jewell City, Kansas, Diamond Printing Office, 1878. Transcribed by Carolyn Ward, 2001.

1878 History of Jewell County, Kansas

Ionia Township

was originally a portion of Limestone township, and nearly all the "first township officers" mentioned in Limestone township are now residents of Ionia. As it now stands it consists of Township 4, south, Ranges 9 and 10, west, and was organized August 10, 1872, and is the largest township in the county.

The First Township Officers,

elected August 28, 1872, were Wiliam Roney, trustee; S.O. Carman, clerk, and J. Webster, justice of the peace, each of whom received 6 votes. As they were loyal, law-abiding people they elected no treasurer or constable.

The First Settlers

were O.S. Baxter, Thomas Grimes, Erving Wooster, O.M.P. Cook, M.V. Smith, E.S. Wright, B.M. Curtis, L.E. Ransom and James W. Moses, all of whom took claims in the months of August and September 1870, the first six in August and the others in September. Frank L. Pound came in November 1870.

A.N. Cole homesteaded the first claim in the township, September, 29, 1869, but left it and never returned for nearly a year afterwards -- September 20, 1870. Adam Riemenschnider and wife came in with Cole and settled near where they now live. Mr. R., had been out the previous spring and honesteaded his claim March 1, 1870.

The east half of Ionia township is thickly settled and one of the best sections of land in the west. The land is rich and productive, and is wellwatered and timbered -- Ash creek and the four main branches of Limestone creek traversing from north to south. The west half is rather hilly and thinly settled. However there is some good land on the east branch of Oak creek, and the thick settlement of the entire township is only a question of time. The people are intelligent, industrious and sociable, and the society is good.

Schools and Churches

There are four school districts in the township, all of which have good substantial school houses, in which regular terms of school are taught. There are three church organizations -- the Methodists, Presbyterians and Dunkards -- all of which have regular preaching and Sunday Schools.


is a flourishing little town, located in the southern part of the township, containing two general stores, one boot and shoe shop and one blacksmith shop. It is beautifully located near the middle forks of Limestone creek, and is a place of considerable trade. Being surrounded by a rich and fertile country its future is bright and promising.

The Present Township Officers,

elected November 6, 1877, are James V. Davis, trustee; E.H. Colson, clerk; Geo. Barnett, treasurer; H.C. Davis and Stephen Hoffhines, justices of the peace, and F.F. Finch and C. Rindom, constables.