Transcribed from History of Jewell County, Kansas, with a Full Account of the Early Settlements and Indian Atrocities Committed Within Its Borders; Its final Settlement, Organization and Progress, Its Present Society, Churches and Schools, Its Towns, Streams; Topography; Soil and Products, Its Population; Township Organization and Officers, Its Industries; Business, Resources, Etc. by M. Winsor and James A. Scarbrough, Jewell City, Kansas, Diamond Printing Office, 1878. Transcribed by Carolyn Ward, 2001.

1878 History of Jewell County, Kansas

White Mound Township

was originally a portion of White Rock Township, which was organized August 22, 1870, the date of the county's organization. It now comprises Township 2 south, Range 10 west. Organized January 7, 1873.

The First Settlers

were Nelson Frost, John Brittan, H. C. Bachelder and Wesley Clemens, who took claims on White Rock in June 1870. The next settler was Menzo W. Smith, who came in July 1870. The next settlers were W.H. McKimmey, the first and present township trustee, J.R. Aringdale and A.J. Dodd, who took their claims on the 7th day of October, 1870.

The First Election

held in the township was at Salem November 5th, 1872. The result of the election was very satisfactory to the Republican party, every vote being for the Republican ticket.

The First Township Officers,

appointed by the county commissioners were: W.H. McKimmey, trustee; Geo. W.C. Smith, clerk; James Cline [?}, treasurer; and Menzo W. Smith, justice of the peace. No constables were appointed. Mr. Smith did not find out that he was not legally constituted justice of the peace until after had had performed his first marriage ceremony. He was afterwards legally appointed justice of the peace by Gov. Osborn.

The first election held in the township for township officers, was held at Salem, April 1, 1873, at which 41 votes were cast, resulting in the election of W.H. McKimmey, trustee; Thos. L. Guthrie, Clerk; James Moance [?], treasurer; Menzo W. Smith and James Campbell, justices of the peace, and Isaac Conger and Samuel Frazier, constables.

the first white child born in White Mound Township was a girl born to Mr. and Mrs. A.J. Dodd, August 24, 1871. Her name is Mattie; she is a bright little girl, and is still living with her parents on the old original homestead.

The first and only steam mill in the township was started by H.L. Browning, February 1, 172. It is still running at Salem, and has done an immense amount of good in the improvement of the township. H.L. Browning located the claim on which he is now living, August 5, 1871. On December 12, 1871, he returned and settled permanently, bring his steam saw mill with him.

Menzo W. Smith was the first settler in the immediate neighborhood of the present town of Salem, being for some time the farthest settler west in Jewell county, or Northwestern Kansas. Mr. Smith still remains an honored resident of the township, and is justice of the peace and Postmaster at Salem.

Schools and Churches

There are seven school districts, three of them, however, lapping over into other townships. There are school houses in all the districts but two, and regular terms of school are taught in all. There is no bonded indebtedness in any of them. There are six church organizations -- Free Will Methodists, United Brethern, Christians, Dunkards, Quakers and Spiritualists. A union meeting house is in course of construction on the northwest corner of W.H. McKimmey's claim, which is to be used by all denominations for preaching and Sunday Schools.

White Mound Township contains six miles square of is as fine land as there is in the county, all of which is well watered by White Rock and its numerous tributaries, on all of which an abundance of excellent native timber is found. It is thickly settled by an industrious, intelligent and active class of citizens, and the society is good.

The Present Township Officers,

elected November 6, 1877, are: W.H. McKimmey, trustee; James Brown, clerk; H.L. Browning, treasurer; Menzo W. Smith and John Hill, justices of the peace, and F.D. Joy and Thomas Sheard, constables.


the only town in the township, is a busy, bustling and enterprising little town full of business and in the enjoyment of an excellent trade. It was laid out January 25, 1872 by H.L. Browning, C.P. Miller and Geo. W. Smith, the town site being a strip of ground taken from each one of their claims. The first store house was built by Browning and Smith in March 1872, which was occupied for a short time by Wilson Brothers of Scandia, with a small stock of goods. The first permanent store was opened here by J.M. Parker, June 1, 1872, who [had] done a big mercantile business for a long time, and is now engaged in the stock business. Miller and Smith have both left the county. Miller is preaching for the Free Methodists near Galesburg, Illinois, and Smith is engaged in the same laudable calling for the same denomination at Council Grove, Kansas. Browning has not yet commenced preaching. All branches of business are well represented in Salem, as evidence of which we refer with pleasure to the numerous "cards" of that town to be found in our advertising pages.