Transcribed from History of Labette County, Kansas and its Representative Citizens, ed. & comp. by Hon. Nelson Case. Pub. by Biographical Publishing Co., Chicago, Ill. 1901

Return to table of contents | Return to Index
Previous Section | Next Section


Matthewson & Biggs issued this paper as a medium for advertising their real-estate and loan business, from December 1, 1884.


This paper was started as an organ to ellable religious and educational associations to meet the public. It was more especially under the direction of the Y. M. C. A. Each organization was expected to prepare the material ready for publication that it desired to have appear; thereby little editorial work was required. The first issue was dated July 15, 1886, and but six monthly numbers were issued.


Was a publication of a religious character, started in 1891 by Rev. P. M. Griffin. After a few issues other parties became associated with him, and the name of the paper was changed to that of


Under this designation it lasted till the summer of 1892, when it ceased for want of support.


Was removed from Altamont to Parsons in the middle of November, 1891, and on the 17th of that month the first issue of the paper from the Parsons office appeared; it was conducted by H. C. Sourbeer and Harry Mills. At the end of about three months Mr. Mills' connection with it terminated, after which time it was conducted by Mr. Sourbeer until he changed its name to the Western World.


From June to August, 1883, H. C. Sourbeer published this paper almost exclusively as an advertising medium. The profits were supposed to be derived from advertising, though a little revenue came in through subscriptions.


This paper was published at Parsons; it was started July 1, 1890, and, with some interruptions, continued till near the close of 1891. W. H. Utley was its business manager at the start, but he sold out in the course of a few months and it was conducted by several members of the County Alliance. George Campbell was its first editor; afterwards H. A. White edited it for a time; then A. H. McCormick, and still later other parties.


J. M. Jones, James Tisdale. and perhaps others, were members of the firm of Jones & Co., who were the publishers of this paper. M. Byrne was secured as its editor. It was started In the summer of 1886, and its publication was continued for perhaps two months, when the arrest of its editor and publishers on the charge of criminal libel forced it to suspend. A part of the defendants escaped punishment on the ground that the evidence did not directIy connect them with the publication of the libelous matter.


Was started in October, 1892, by C. E. Ball, as an irregular publication through which he could advertise his business.


The name of the paper published by Mr. Sourbeer was changed from Mills' Weekly World to Western World, under which name its publication was conducted until September, 1893, when it ceased altogether. However, some two years later than this, one or two issues of a paper under this name were sent out; the thought being that perhaps the paper might be revived.


Was the title of a paper edited by H. C. Sourbeer for something more than a year, commencing in January, 1895.


In October, 1893. P. T. Foley purchased the name of the paper then published in Edna, and transferred it to a paper he was then starting in Parsons. This was done for the purpose of nominally complying with the law requiring a paper to have been regularly issued for at east one year before legal notices could be published therein; and the intention of the publisher in starting this paper was to secure the county printing the ensuing year. The first issue of the Parsons Independent was on October 28, 1893. D. H. Martin was its editor and so remained until he secured a position in the State penitentiary sometime in 1894. In July, 1894, A. G. Stacy became editor, and continued to fill that position until about the last of May, 1895. On March 1, 1897, R. J. Elliott took editorial charge of the paper, and remained in that position until the middle of April, 1899, when he was succeeded by Miss Louise Duley, who held the position some three months. I have not secured the names of the persons who have prepared editorial work on the paper since that time.


In the spring of 1898 E. S. Stevens and Charles Husband started the Daily Globe. Its publication was suspended during the summer. In the fall of that year Charles Husband and H. A. Bird revived the daily and with it also issued a weekly. The daily ceased publication in the fall of 1899, but the weekly was issued until the spring of 1900.



This was the first daily paper published in Parsons, and was started in the fall of 1876, in September or October, by J. P. Coffin. It was a very diminutive sheet, but served as a means of giving the local news. Mr. Coffin continued its publication till May 5, 1877, when he suspended for the purpose of becoming traveling agent for the Sun.


On August 20, 1877, the first number of this sheet appeared as the successor of the Daily Record, and, as the latter had been, under the management of J. P. Coffin. On January 31, 1878, he wrote his valedictory, the substance of which was, "Died for want of support."


Was started December 24, 1878, by McCarter Brothers, who conducted it as a daily until August 12, 1879, from which time to September 4 it appeared as a tri-weekly, on which last date it again resumed its daily issue, and continued as such till the last of April, 1880.


Frank H. McCarter, proprietor of the Infant Wonder, which had just suspended publication, associated himself with William Higgins in the publication of the Republican. The first issue appeared on May 10, 1880, with William Higgins, editor. On March 22, 1881, Mr. Higgins retired from the paper and Mr. McCarter assumed full control. It was merged in the Eclipse, and its publication suspended May 9, 1881.


Was started May 9, 1881, by J. B. Lamb and F. H. McCarter, the latter doing most of the work thereon for some time. The management of the daily was entirely separate from that of the weekly Eclipse for some months. For a number of years it has been conducted by the Lambs alone, and has been a well-established daily, with a liberal support.


As a continuation of the Infant Wonder, was resurrected about November, 1881, by F. H. McCarter and E. R. Marvin, after the former had become disconnected with the Eclipse. In January, 1882, E. C. Burnett bought out Mr. Marvin, and in connection with Mr. McCarter continued to conduct the Wonder till September of that year, when its publication was again suspended.


Was started in Parsons in October, 1882, by E. C. Burnett, who continued its publication till January, 1883.


Was started September 5, 1880, and is spoken of in connection with the Weekly Sun.


Was first seen a little before sunset on Wednesday, April 6, 1881. It was published by M. W. Reynolds and George Higgins for gratuitous distribution. On September 2, 1881, Mr. Higgins retired, and removed to Paola to engage in the newspaper business at that place. The Star continued to give out more or less light till about the time of the fall election in 1881.


W. H. Martin was the founder of this paper, and conducted it from November 10, 1889, to September 10, 1890, when he sold the plant to H. C. Sourbeer & Sons, who continued its publication until January 15, 1891, at which time it was discontinued.


Was started in the fall of 1890, and continued to appear for several months - perhaps nearly a year. It was under the same general management as the State Alliance. A. J. Miller was its editor a part, and perhaps all of the time it ran.


Was published a part of 1898 and 1899, as stated above under Parsons Globe.


Was started April 23, 1900, and appeared regularly until publication was suspended, March 7, 1901. J. M. Cunningham was its editor and publisher all the time.



On or about January 17, 1884, the first number of this paper made its appearance under the management of ___ Gastin and Milton Fuller, and continued under their charge until about the 1st of June, when the material was purchased by C. Len. Albin.


C. Len. Albin, having purchased the outfit of the Times, started the Sentinel, the first number of which appeared July 4, 1884, and was continued by him until July 10, 1885, when he sold the paper to H. C. Blanchard. B. F. Godfrey was associated with Albin in the editorship of the Sentinel for a short time before Albin sold to Blanchard. Blanchard conducted the paper alone from the time of his purchase until September 11 of that year, when he sold one-half interest therein to Frank Wilkins, from which time Blanchard & Wilkins published it until January 15, 1886, when Blanchard sold his interest therein to Harry Mills; and on the 29th of the same month Mills also bought Wilkins' interest, and became sole editor and proprietor. On January 4, 1886, C. S. Newlon having bought a half-interest, the paper appeared under the management of Mills & Newlon. On March 14, 1886, Mr. Mills sold his interest to Dr. Newlon, and Mrs. Lizzie Newlon became editor and publisher, which she continued until January 5, 1889, when she was succeeded in the editorial chair by W. H. Conner. On October 23, 1889, W. J. Lough took charge as editor and publisher, and conducted the paper till July 16, 1890, when its publication ceased.


After C. Len. Albin sold his interest in the Sentinel, he associated with him W. T. Pickett, and they two purchased a printing office outfit, and on September 11, 1885, started the Altamont News which was a five-column quarto. After two issues of the paper Albin sold his interest therein to Mr. Pickett, who at once made arrangements for its removal to Mound Valley.


About the 1st of December, 1888, Harry Mills started a small sheet with the above title, at Cherryvale, Kansas. The first week in March, 1889, he removed the plant to Altamont, from which place he issued it from that time until the middle of November, 1891, when he sold an interest therein to H. C. Sourbeer, who removed the plant to Parsons, from which place it was issued until its name was changed to the Western World.


Appeared January 25, 1895, under the management of P. S. Ray and H. Bristom. After a few weeks, Mr. Ray sold his interest in the paper to his partner, who continued its publication until the spring of 1896, when the plant was sold to Mr. Switzer and consolidated with the White Banner.


Was founded by Harry Mills, and the first issue appeared August 15, 1896. Mr. Mills continued to conduct the paper until the close of 1897, when it was merged in the White Banner, which was then published in Altamont.


Has been conducted by J. L. Switzer from the time it was first started until the present. It first appeared in June, 1894, as a monthly and was printed on a farm. After running six months as a monthly, it was changed to a semi-monthly. In July, 1894, the press from which it was issued was removed to Wilsonton, where the paper was published for nearly a year. It was then removed to Altamont, and the paper changed to a weekly. The first issue from the Altamont office appeared June 21, 1895, since which time it has appeared each week.



December 8, 1886, the first number of this paper appeared, with J. J. Fields as editor and Harry Mills as publisher. It was a small six-column folio. The publication continued some five or six weeks, when the good-will of the office was sold to C. M. Brown, of the Mound Valley News.


Succeeded the Enterprise. It was started by C. M. Brown, January 19, 1887. He moved the Mound Valley News office to Edna, where he published the Era about three months, when it ceased, and Edna was again without a paper for a short time.


On April 15, 1887, J. D. McKeehen, as editor and proprietor, brought out No. 1 of the Edna Enterprise under his management, he having theretofore purchased the material of the old office. He continued its publication until September of that year.


John Truby and W. A. Peffer, Jr., started the publication of this paper, the first number appearing October 28, 1887. The last of April, 1888, J. H. Morse became its editor, and continued its publication until the close of June of that year.


Was started December 14, 1889, by G. W. Liever and A. C. Veach. In June, 1890, Mr. Liever sold his interest in the paper to Mr. Veach, who continued to publish it alone. On October 21, 1893, appeared the last issue of the Edna Independent. Mr. Veach then sold the title of the paper, viz.: the "Independent," to parties who wanted to commence the publication of a paper in Parsons, and who wanted to be able to have it appear as a paper that had been published at least one year, in order to enable them to secure the county printing.


After the sale of the title of his paper as above stated, Mr. Veach continued its publication under the name of the News, the first issue of which was on October 28, 1893, and the last issue on September 8, 1894. Mr. Veach then removed his plant to Arkansas.


W. E. Staige commenced the publication of the Sun November 22, 1894, and has continued its publication ever since.


In the latter part of September, 1899, the Enterprise made its appearance under the management of Dr. Johnson. On January 1, 1900, the paper passed under the editorial management of J. L. Griffith, who conducted it for one year. On January 1, 1901, William A. Blair and George Reasor became the owners of the paper, under the firm name of Reasor & Blair, and its publication has been continued by them.



The first paper credited to Mound Valley was designated the Times, and was started December 16, 1881. It was printed by Brooks & Patrick, at the Republican office, in Oswego, and appeared as under the editorship of George Campbell. However, all the paper except a few local items was the same as the Oswego Republican. This arrangement was unsatisfactory to the citizens of Mound Valley, and the paper ran only a few weeks.


The first issue of the Herald appeared April 6, 1882, with George Campbell as editor and proprietor. Mr. Campbell conducted it until the fall of that year, when he sold to C. L. Albin, who continued to edit and publish it until May 1, 1884, when it came under the control of W. F. Thrall, who has since then been its editor and publisher.


About the 1st of October, 1885, L. C. Wilmoth and W. C. Pickett became the joint owners of the office material from which the Altamont News had been printed. This they removed to Mound Valley, and commenced the publication of the News at that point. In the spring of 1886 a company of several of the business men of Mound Valley was formed, under the title of "The Mound Valley News Company," for the purpose of publishing this paper. About June 1, 1886, C. M. Brown and T. Rowen, Jr., became owners of the paper, and with L. C. Wilmoth as editor conducted it until September 9th, when Mr. Rowen retired and Mr. Brown became editor and proprietor, continuing Mr. Wilmoth as associate editor. The publication of the paper was suspended about the middle of January, 1887.


The first number of this paper was dated February 19, 1887. It was, however, issued ahead of its date. It purported to be published by the Farmers' and Laborers' Cooperative Union, and was edited by E. H. Barnhart. In June, 1887, C. L. Albin appeared as editor. During August and September its publication was suspended, but was resumed again in October, with G. S. Worthington editor. Its publication was continued until the early part of 1888. During all of its existence George Campbell was its principal, if not entire owner, and while he does not appear as editor, yet the paper was principally conducted by him.



On Thursday, September 8, 1870, a well-filled seven-column paper under the above title appeared from the printing-office just started at the town of Labette, with J. S. Waters as editor and proprietor. On October 13th Mr. Waters associated with him in the management of the paper, Thomas Irish. Mr. Waters having been elected county attorney at the November election in 1870, he retired from the editorship of the Sentinel on November 24th, from which time it was conducted by Mr. Irish until sometime in March, 1871, when its publication ceased for a short time. About the 1st of April, however, it was revived by the Albin Brothers, who carried on its publication for some time, when it was given up by them as a losing venture. About May 10, 1872, Sheldon & Johnson attempted its resurrection, and tried to put it forth for some months, when it again became defunct. On the suspension of the Oswego Register, in May, 1873, Smith, one of the former proprietors of that paper, bought the Labette Sentinel material and moved it to Nevada, Mo., and there used it in starting a new paper at that point.


Was founded January 5, 1894, by W. L. Piatt, who conducted it until the fall of 1895, when he sold it to A. and J. S. Piatt. February 15, 1897, the plant was destroyed by fire. A new outfit was soon procured, and the publication of the Star was resumed and continued until July 1, 1898, when it ceased.


Made its appearance October 21, 1899, under the management of W. L. Piatt, who continues to edit and publish it.



Was started at Wilsonton, May 1, 1888, by Mrs. Ella B. Wilson, since which time she has continued to conduct it as editor and proprietor. It is published monthly.


Which was first published on a farm far a time, was published in Wilsonton from July, 1894, to June, 1895, when it was removed to Altamont, where it has since remained.



Made its first appearance September 1, 1898, and was the first paper published in Dennis. It was not, in fact, printed in Dennis, but in Thayer; but it purported to come from Dennis. It was edited by A. E. Miller. It only lived three months.


Some three months after the death of the Hustler, another effort was made to establish a paper in Dennis. In February, 1899, A. E. Miller and Walter I. Thorne started the Leader, which for two months was printed in the Palladium office in Parsons. The proprietors then purchased a printing outfit of their own and the work on the paper was then done in Dennis. The first issue was dated February 9, 1899. After nine months, Mr. Thorne sold his interest in the paper to G. A. Miller. Miller Brothers continued to publish the paper until November 15, 1900, after which the plant was removed to Thayer.



The first issue of this paper was dated at Parsons, September 1, 1881. It was a small eight-page paper, started by W. B. Avery, a colored minister, and was intended as a medium for furnishing the colored population with a line of reading-matter in which they would be especially interested, to be issued only monthly. But Mr. Brooks, of the Oswego Republican, entered into an agreement with Mr. Avery for publishing his paper at the Republican office. It was very much enlarged in size, and issued weekly instead of monthly. While continuing under the editorship of Mr. Avery, the most of the material was the same as that which simultaneously appeared in the Weekly Republican. The colored people did not furnish a sufficient patronage to justify its continuance, and its publication, ceased after some three or four months.


Was started by the colored people of the county as an avenue by which to make known to the public their views, wants, and intentions, and as a means of educating their young people in the duties of citizenship. It was issued from Parsons. The first number was dated July 9, 1892. E. M. Woods was editor and E. W. Dorsey business manager. But in a short time Mr. Dorsey withdrew to become president of the Blade company. The publication of this paper was discontinued with the close of 1892.


A little disagreement arising between the proprietors of the Eye-Opener, a division of interest seemed advisable to them, and on August 20, 1892, the Parsons Weekly Blade was started, with S. O. Clayton, editor; E. W. Dorsey, president; and Charles A. Morris, business manager. After a term of five years as editor, Mr. Clayton retired and was succeeded by J. E. Johnson. In 1898 the management of the paper passed to J. M. Dorsey, with whom it continued two years. Its publication then went into the hands of a company, and Charles A. Morris became its editor; and under this management it is now conducted.