Transcribed from History of Labette County, Kansas and its Representative Citizens, ed. & comp. by Hon. Nelson Case. Pub. by Biographical Publishing Co., Chicago, Ill. 1901

Return to table of contents | Return to Index
Previous Section | Next Section


Montana. - Rev. Seth T. Smalley, a New School Presbyterian minister, commenced preaching in Montana in 1869, and possibly as early as 1868, and served that people more or less for some time thereafter. In May, 1869, Rev. D. P. Emerson preached for them, and the next Sunday Rev. C. V. Monfort, of Oswego, preached. These were the only Presbyterian services at Montana of which I learn, prior to the arrival of Mr. Griffin. The Presbyterians in all of this part of the county seem to have been interested in, if not members of, the church which was formed at Daytonville, on Willow Branch. In March, 1870, Mr. Monfort commenced preaching at the residence of Mr. Martin, west of Labette Creek, and continued his appointments during the next few weeks. On June 25, 1870, the Daytonville church was organized, with G. W. White, Margaret Ellen White, Margaret Jane White, Jane Amanda White, George Cubbison, Alexander Cubbison, Rachel Cubbison, Martha Lewis, James Morning, Caroline Morning, members received by letter, and Sarah Ellen Hartin, John Henry Hartin, Nancy Shelady, and Louisa Cubbison, received on examination as members. George Cubbison was chosen chairman, G. W. White and Alexander Cubbison were elected ruling elders, and George Cubbison and J. H. Hartin, deacons. Their first communion service was held November 27, 1870. On May 7, 1871. Mr. Monfort preached at the town of Labette, after which a church was organized by a union of the Daytonville church and the Presbyterians living around Labette and Montana. Mr. Monfort remained pastor of this Labette church till his death, on Aug. 10, 1872, at which time the church had 16 members. There seem to have been no regular services held after Mr. Monfort's death. On March 15, 1874, Rev. C. H. McCreery, of Chetopa, and H. W. Stratton, of Oswego, who had been appointed a committee by the presbytery, visited the Piper school-house, in District No. 17. Mr. McCreery preached, after which the Labette Presbyterian church was organized, or, perhaps, more properly, reorganized, with the following members: James Morning, Charles Morning, John H. Hartin, Matthew Lewis, George Morning, George Cubbison, Louisa Cubbison, Margaret Hawkins, Jane Shelady, J. F. Piper, Mrs. E. Piper, Miss P. Piper, Lina Piper, Miriam Piper, A. B. Piper, Ray Piper, and Mrs. Mary Bennet. James Morning and Ray Piper were elected elders. The place of meeting was then changed, to the Morning school-house, in District No. 48, where services continued to be held until the erection of the Montana church. Evening services were also held at Labette and Montana. At the time of organizing above referred to, Rev. S. W. Griffin was elected pastor, in which relation he continued till about the close of 1882. Following him, S. W. LaGrange and W. Price filled the pulpit. For several years past the church has been without a pastor. Occasionally the minister at Oswego or some one else has preached for them. In 1878 a church building was erected in Montana, at a cost of about $1,500. In 1900 this church building was sold to the Methodists, and the Montana Presbyterian church is now completely dissolved.

0swego. - Rev. Cornelius V. Monfort was the first Presbyterian minister to locate in this county. He came to Oswego in March, 1868, and on April 26th preached the first Presbyterian sermon in the place. On June 30th a meeting was held at his house, at which eight were present to consider the organization of a church, and on Sunday, July 25, 1868, an organization was effected, with the following 11 members: Cornelius V. Monfort and wife S. E. Monfort, Dr. C. M. Gilkey and wife S. M. Gilkey and daughter Mary Gilkey, Mrs. R. A. Botsford, John Hutchinson, Mary Gaston, Alexander Cubbison and wife Rachel Cubbison, and Francis Swanwick. Francis Swanwick, Dr. C. M. Gilkey and John Hutchinson were elected trustees, and Dr. C. M. Gilkey and Alexander Cubbison were elected elders. On Nov. 15, 1868, Dr. Gilkey was ordained elder. The church records say the church was organized July 28, 1868, but this record as it now exists was probably copied some time after the occurrence, and the party who did it has evidently made a mistake and written the date the 28th instead of the 25th. Col. Swanwick kept a diary, which I now have, and under date of July 25, 1868, he says: "Went to town to assist in organizing First Presbyterian church, Old School, of Oswego; 11 members present; Dr. Gilkey and Mr. Cubbison elected elders." On Jan. 31, 1869, Rev. C. H. McCreery was present, and with Mr. Monfort held the first communion service. In August Mr. Monfort began taking subscriptions for a church. In July, 1870, I. C. McGinnis and Alexander Mackie were made elders and T. N. Sickles and D. McArthur, deacons. Mr. Monfort resigned, and preached his farewell sermon on Oct. 9, 1870. Rev. S. N. D. Martin supplied the pulpit the next year, preaching his first sermon June 4, 1871; and, he was succeeded during the spring or summer of 1872 by Rev. N. A. Rankin. Rev. H. W. Stratton filled the pulpit from April, 1873, to January, 1875. During his pastorate the church erected its house of worship, at a cost of about $4,000, which was dedicated Dec. 28, 1873, by Rev. S. A. Stoddard. On June 27, 1879, the house was struck by lightning and one end somewhat shattered, but still not seriously damaged. A. F. Hale, A. Bixby (a Congregationalist), A. A. Trimper (a Lutheran), J. G. Venable, William Coleman, John Elliott, A. C. Junkin, A. G. Evans and J. N. McClung followed as pastors after Rev. H. W. Stratton left. Mr. McClung's pastorate extended from Oct. 1, 1891, until the last of August, 1893. Dr. J. F. Hendy, president of the college, then supplied the pulpit until the close of 1895, when Dr. William Bishop, who succeeded Dr. Hendy as acting president of the college, also supplied the church pulpit until June, 1896. Dr. M. H. Reasor, who then took charge of the college, supplied the pulpit from June, 1896, to August, 1897. Rev, William Sickles was a stated supply from January, 1898, to April, 1900, when the present pastor, Rev. E. C. Philleo, took charge. The church has had a slow but a continued growth. In the fall of 1886 the young people started a prayer meeting, which was kept up until February, 1891, when it was organized into the Westminster League, with a membership of 16, and the following officers: President, Margaret Carpenter; vice-president, Blanche Waskey; secretary and treasurer, Myrtle Stonecipher; organist, Marie Park. On April 7, 1892, this league was changed to a Young People's Society Christian Endeavor, with 18 members, and, officers as follows: Lincoln J. Allen, president; Belle Holenberg, vice-president; recording secretary, Blanche Waskey, corresponding secretary and treasurer, James McClung.

Edna. - Originally this church was organized as the Ripon Presbyterian church. Rev. C. H. McCreery preached at the Ripon schoolhouse, in District No. 49, during the summer of 1874, where, on Nov. 8th of that year, assisted by Rev. H. W. Stratton, he organized the church, with a membership of 12, of whom James Scott and Thomas H. Bruner were elected ruling elders. Mr. McCreery supplied the pulpit till 1881, since which time J. N. Young, J. M. Crawford, and J. S. McClung have been its pastors. Mr. Crawford served either as pastor or supply from April 1, 1883, to November, 1889, and again took charge March 1, 1892, serving for one year. The church was then without a pastor until the fall of 1894, when R. M. Wimmel began preaching and remained in charge until the fall of 1896. In the fall of 1897 he again took charge, and so continued until June, 1899. After Mr. Wimmel quit, in the fall of 1896, B. F. Smith supplied the pulpit a few weeks; with this exception, the church was without a preacher during the year between Mr. Wimmel's two terms. The church was again without a minister from June, 1899, until the spring of 1900, when J. M. Crawford was again employed; he is still in charge. At its organization, the church had 12 members; its membership now is about 50. During its history it has had something like 130 different members. In the fall of 1878 preparations were made for a church building at Kingston, which was made ready for occupancy before the close of that year; it was fully completed the following spring, and, on June 8, 1879, was dedicated by Rev. Timothy Hill. In one week thereafter a cyclone partly removed the church from its foundation. In 1884 the presbytery changed the name from Ripon to Kingston. In 1887 the building was removed to Edna, and the name changed from Kingston to Edna.

Altamont. - Rev. C. H. McCreery commenced preaching at the residence of D. C. Constant, in Hackberry township, as early as 1870, and on June 9, 1871, at that place, assisted by Elam S. Hitchcock and Samuel Cellars, organized the Hackberry Presbyterian church, with the following members: Nancy A. Dougham, Margaret S. Blyner, James Emory, Mary Emory, Jennie Fellows, Michael Noel, Mary Noel, David C. Constant, Antoinette C. Constant, Josiah Raybourn, Lucretia Raybourn, Mary J. Hannigan. Michael Noel and David C. Constant were elected ruling elders. The place of meeting was afterwards changed to the Newell school-house, in District No. 71. This church was ministered to by C. H. McCreery, C. V. Monfort, and H. W. Stratton. In April, 1879, the name of Hackberry church was ordered stricken from the roll, and a committee was appointed to organize a new church. The Elston church, as successor of the Hackberry church, was organized at the Elston school-house, in District No. 80, on June 29, 1879, by Rev. S. W. Griffin and Rev. C. H. McCreery. James Paxton and Martin Reamer were elected ruling elders. The following year the name was changed to Altamont. A church building was erected, in Altamount in 1880, Rev. S. W. Griffin preaching the first sermon therein on May 16th. Its earlier pastors were: S. W. Griffin, J. N. Young, J. D. Todd and S. W. LeGrange. For a number of years the church had no pastor, and was only supplied irregularly. Since 1892 the church has had the following stated supplies: J. S. McClung, in 1893; J. D. Todd, 1894-96; R. M. Wimmel, 1896-98; J. B. Sawyer, 1900. During the past few years the building has been improved, shade trees planted, and more interest manifested in the work.

Lake Creek. - Eighteen members of the church at Chetopa took letters and united in forming the Lake Creek Presbyterian church, which was organized January 6, 1884, by Rev. C. H. McCreery, assisted by E. S. Hitchcock. Arthur Baty was elected ruling elder. A church building was erected the following spring, at a cost of about $1,200, which was dedicated in April, by W. S. H. Keyes. Mr. McCreery had preached at the Baty schoolhouse, in District No. 60, for several years before the organization of the church. After its organization Rev. J. M. Crawford became pastor, in April, 1884, and served until November, 1889. From April 1, 1890, to April 1, 1891, Rev. J. S. McClung was stated supply. Rev. J. L. Griffes supplied the church a part of the time during 18gi. Rev. J. M. Crawford came March 1, 1892, and continued as pastor until the church was joined with that of Bartlett in the following year.

Bartlett. - The first Presbyterian sermon in Bartlett was preached in the school-house, Nov. 3, 1889, by Rev. J. M. Crawford. Rev. J. S. McClung preached there occasionally while he had charge of the Lake Creek church, and Rev. J. M. Crawford preached there every two weeks from March 1, 1892, to the date of the consolidation with the Lake Creek congregation. No organization was effected at Bartlett until the removal of the church building from Lake Creek to Bartlett, which occurred in the fall of 1893. It was repaired and ready for occupancy in February, 1894. The Lake Creek church was then merged in that of Bartlett. The following-named have served as pastors: J. M. Crawford, L. J. Hawkins, R. M. Wimmell and H. M. Gilbert, who is the present incumbent. A missionary society was organized in April, 1895, of which Miss Jennie W. Baty has been president since its organization. A children's Willing Workers' Mission Band has also been maintained, and part of the time a Y. P. S. C. E. On August 15, 1900, the church, building was burned to the ground by a fire supposed to have been communicated by a locomotive. Since then the church has worshipped in the Methodist church building. It is the purpose of the members of the church to rebuild as soon as possible.

Chetopa. - The First Presbyterian church of Chetopa was organized on Sept. 20, 1868, by Rev. C. H. McCreery, assisted by Rev. James Lewis, with the following members: Samuel Cellars, Mrs. Martha Cellars, Mrs. Margaret J. Lenhart, Samuel H. Carr, George F. Smith and Lorenzo Billington. Of these, Samuel Cellars and Samuel H. Carr were installed as ruling elders. The first trustees were Willoughby Doudna, S. H. Carr, Samuel Cellars, C. P. Spaulding and C. P. Smith. For the first two years the services of the church were held in Spaulding's Hall, over a saloon, on the southeast corner of Third and Walnut streets. The town company having donated a number of lots to the church, a part were sold, and about $1,000 realized therefrom. Generous subscriptions were also made by the citizens, and in the fall of 1869 preparations were made for erecting a building, and the work was commenced. On December 1st of that year the frame of the building was raised, and by August, 1870, it was entirely finished, at a cost of about $4,500. Quite a feature of the financial history of this church, as it was more or less of that of many of the churches in the county, especially during the early years of their work, was that of raising money by festivals. In July, 1869, this church held one of its most successful festivals, at which over $300 was cleared. The church was dedicated, free of debt, Aug. 28, 1870, by Rev. Timothy Hill, D. D. One of the noteworthy events in connection with this church is the long-continued pastorate of Mr. McCreery, extending from its organization, in 1868, to May 1, 1886. No other church in the county has had such an experience. Before the close of Mr. McCreery's pastorate, his health becoming impaired, he took a vacation for a year, during which time the pulpit was supplied, by Rev. V. M. King. Mr. McCreery was followed in July, 1886, by Rev. Isaac Brundage, who served until his death. Rev. J. L. Griffes succeeded Mr. Brundage, and was in turn followed by Rev. J. L. Hawkins, who was pastor from 1893 to 1896. Rev. H. M. Gilbert has been pastor since Sept. 1, 1896. The membership of the church is about 150. In the latter part of 1898 the church building was remodeled at a cost of about $1,600, and rededicated Jan. 15, 1899, by Dr. S. D. Fleming. Within a month, - on February 12, 1899, - this building burned to the ground. The church then decided on changing location and rebuilding. The property owned and for so many years occupied by Rev. C. H. McCreery as a residence was purchased; the house standing thereon was moved a little from its original location and fitted up for a manse, and room made for the new church building on the same property. The pastor went east and secured most of the money with which to pay for the new building. Between the burning of the old church edifice and the completion of the new one services were held in the opera house. Work on the new building was commenced in December, 1899, and on June 3, 1900, it was dedicated by Dr. S. D. Fleming. The cost of the building and furnishings was nearly $6,000.

Bethel. - S. W. Griffin and W. B. Truax, being directed by the presbytery so to do, organized a Presbyterian church in the school-house in District No. __, on Nov. 29, 1892. S. E. W. Brown, James Venable and. J. S. Gulick were elected ruling, elders, and L. T. McElroy and Monroe Mathers, deacons. S. W. Griffin acted as pastor till June, 1885, when he was succeeded by A. S. Sharpless.

Mound Valley. - In November, 1879, Rev. C. H. McCreery and S. W. Griffin organized a Presbyterian church at Mound Valley, with 10 members. Wm. D. Allen and Wm. Culp were elected ruling elders. S. W. Griffin and J. N. Young preached for them. The members having mostly moved away in the spring of 1883, the presbytery disorganized the church and struck the same from the roll. Rev. J. D. Todd, who had been employed by the synod to preach at different points and look after the church's interest in vacant fields, came to Mound Valley and talked with several who then or who had, formerly held church relations with the Presbyterian church, and at his solicitation a meeting was held at the Methodist church, on March 30, 1884, at which some eight or ten were present; J. C. McEwen presided, and Dr. J. Lemon acted as clerk. It was there resolved to organize a Presbyterian church at that point as soon as arrangements could be made to do so. They adjourned to meet in four weeks, and on April 27, 1884, Rev. J. D. Todd preached a sermon; after which Mrs. E. A. Copelantz, Eliza Copelantz, J. C. McEwen, Mrs. Olive McEwen, James W. Evans and wife, H. K. Baker, Mrs. Myra J. Baker, E. M. Bell, Mrs. J. T. Bell, Dr. J. Lemon, Mrs. A. Lemon, Henry Allen, Mrs. Jane Allen, Josie Allen, Mary B. Allen, Robert A. Foresman, Mrs. Jane Foresman, Mrs. Henrietta Foresman, Mrs. Roxanna Savage, and Joseph Crawford presented their credentials, which were approved. A third meeting was held at the same place on May 10, 1884, at which H. K. Baker was chairman and Henry Allen, clerk; whereupon it was resolved to proceed with the organization of a church by the election of two ruling elders and two deacons. J. C. McEwen and Henry Allen were chosen as elders and Dr. J. Lemon and H. K. Baker as deacons. On May 25, 1884, the church was duly organized, by Rev. S. W. Griffin, of Cherryvale; C. H. McCreery, of Chetopa; and J. D. Todd, of Independence, who, were sent there as a committee of the Neosho presbytery. Mr. Griffin preached the sermon, after which the elders and deacons were ordained. Arrangements were made for holding services in the Baptist church, and Rev. J. D. Todd was employed to preach every other Sabbath, in the afternoon. In August, 1884, the church bought a building known as Pattison's Hall, which had been built by the Methodists as their first house of worship; after they sold it, it was removed to its present location, in block 22. That fall and winter the building was occupied by a department of the public schools, and by the church only on Sunday. In April, 1885, this building was suitably fitted up as a place of worship. Mr. Todd closed his labors as pastor on May 31, 1885, and was followed on June 7th by Rev. A. S. Sharpless, who stayed till July, 1886. The pulpit remained vacant till October of that year, when Rev. J. M. Crawford was employed to preach every two weeks in connection with his work at Edna. This continued till March, 1888, when Mr. Todd again took charge, and continued till Oct. 1st of the same year. Little religious life was manifested from this time till April, 1889, when Rev. J. S. McClung was called to the work, where he remained till September, 1891. Oct. 15, 1891, Rev. James H. Clark took charge, and remained until November, 1892. In 1893-94 J. C. McElroy served as a stated supply. R. M. Wimmell was pastor from August, 1894, to October, 1896, and again served them as stated supply from October, 1897, until 1899. Since then B. F. Smith, J. Michel, J. M. Crawford, J. L. Sawyer and A. E. Van Olden have supplied the pulpit. On June 10, 1885, the church was incorporated. In 1890 it finished paying for its building and stood clear of debt.

Emmons. - On Jan. 8, 1873, Rev. Mr. Lackey, of Illinois, organized a Presbyterian church at the Emmons school-house, in District No. 84. James Sweet, Joseph Kearns and Jacob Crane were elected. and ordained elders, and Alexander Duncan and Otto Wilson deacons. On March 5, 1873, Rev. Sidney Allen was installed as pastor, Rev. S. A. Stoddard preaching the installment sermon. After an existence of some two years the organization was abandoned.

Parsons. - While a Methodist preacher who came of his own accord preceded them, the Presbyterians claim to have sent the first preacher to hold services in Parsons. Rev. H. H. Cambern, under the direction of the Board of Home Missions, came to Parsons in February, 1871, and commenced preaching in a saloon. Mr. Cambern held services frequently during the spring and summer.

The First Presbyterian church of Parsons was organized Sept. 24, 1871, by H. H. Cambern as moderator. J. V. Thornton, J. E. Wilkins and J. J. Blause were elected elders. The membership at organization was 16. In December, 1871, they commenced to take subscriptions for a church building, but ground was not broken till August, 1872. The church was completed and dedicated Aug. 2, 1874, by Rev. C. H. McCreery. In the meantime Rev. S. F. Farmer was installed as pastor. An addition was made to the church in 1882, another one in 1883, and a third in 1891. In May, 1872, Rev. J. H. Metier was employed to succeed Mr. Cambern as pastor. Since then the following have supplied the pulpit, some as supply and others as pastor: Joel Kelsey, S. F. Farmer, H. G. Miller, F. R. Morton, W. S. H. Keyes, J. K. Fowler, - Shields, W. S. Davis, Edward F. Walker, J. M. Wright, and E. 0. Hart. Mr. Wright's pastorate closed in 1893, and he was succeeded by the present pastor, E. 0. Hart. Under Mr. Hart's pastorate, the church building has been enlarged and improved at a cost of about $3,000. At present they are building a manse which is to be commodious and well finished. At present the church has a membership of upwards of 400. In 1882 a Young People's Society was organized for the purpose of holding devotional meetings. At different times it had for its president Miss Montgomery, E. H. McCreery, F. H. Shaub, W. H. Martin, Lena Venable, W. J. McKnight, and George B. Comings. On September 8, 1892, a reorganization of the Young People's Society was had, and formed into the Y. P. S. C. E., with George B. Comings as president.


The work of this denomination in this county has been somewhat scattered, and I have not been able to get access to records that would give me definite information respecting the work at many points. I am informed that the following-named have been presiding elders in the district embracing Labette county: B. A. Spring, J. R. Chambers, G. H. Hinton, C. H. Jones, J. K. Spencer, H. B. McHugh, F. M. Gillett and N. L. Vesey.

Parsons. - In February, 1868, a class of about ten members was formed at the house of James Beaver, some few miles from the present site of Parsons, by J. Buckmaster as pastor, James Beaver as class-leader, Reason Tippie, steward, and P.M. Grant, elder. Those comprising this class were Reason Tippie, Rachel Tippie, N. M. Portrum, C. Portrum, J. Beaver, J. L. Beaver, A. Pringle, G. Sheckell, G. Botsford, and C. Billings. This class was maintained in that part of the county with more or less cohesiveness for several years, and formed the basis of the class at Parsons, which was organized in February, 1875, with a membership of about 15, including Abraham Cary and wife, James Beaver and wife, N. M. Portrum and wife, Seth Fisher and wife, Lizzie Kellogg, and having G. W. Gossett for pastor. Jan. 3, 1877, the church provided a lot and moved thereon the tabernacle which they had purchased from the M. E. church. They used it as a house of worship until 1894, when they disposed of the building and secured a site at the corner of Twenty-fourth street and Crawford avenue, on which they erected a commodious church edifice, and a parsonage, on adjoining lots, all at a cost of about $2,500. The church was impeded in its progress for quite a number of years by the great division of the church throughout the country that took place in 1885. Among the pastors who have served this church are: G. W. Gossett, A. B. McGrew, J. W. Baughman, William Theope, C. H. Jones, R. C. Hamil, D. Richardson, W. M. Griffin and G. H. Hinton. The church has a good Young People's Society, both senior and junior branches.

Dennis. - In the winter of 1870-71, Rev. Mr. Goodwin, of the United Brethren church, held protracted meetings in the log schoolhouse in District No. 38, which resulted in several conversions and accessions to that denomination. Among these probably the most active in his afterwork was J. H. Beatty. A church was then organized, which has maintained its work ever since. In the spring of 1883 they built a church at Dennis, and in the fall of 1884 the conference of the State held its session there. Among its pastors have been Revs. Messrs. Evans, Stallard, Hammers, Winrick, Gossett, Himer, Chambers, French, Rice, Hammel, Shope.

Mortimer. - Almost from the first settlement of the county, religious services have been held in the Carpenter school-house, in District No. 30 - sometimes by one denomination and sometimes by another. Of late years preaching has occasionally been conducted by ministers of the United Brethren church. In the spring of 1891, Rev. Mr. Hammel, of this denomination, held a protracted meeting which resulted in the organization of quite a strong class. It was soon felt that a church building was needed, and the Mortimer family were active in securing its erection at the Mortimer station. Its first board of trustees consisted of Emanuel Mortimer, James T. Mortimer, J. K. Duncan, T. E. Killian, and G. A. Waid. The church cost about $1,000, and was dedicated June 5, 1892, by Bishop Castle. Since Mr. Hammel's work, in 1892, the church has had the following pastors: ___ Daugherty, J. S. Christlieb, R. C. Hamil, J. I. Robinson, H. D. Moore, J. W. Baughman, T. J. Darling, ___ Williams.

Mound Valley Circuit. - The south part of the county has usually, I am informed, been included in one circuit, embracing a number of appointments, among others Altamont, Mound Valley, Trenton, Valeda, Hackberry and, perhaps, some others; this circuit has been known sometimes as Hackberry, sometimes as Oswego, and sometimes as Mound Valley, but the same minister has supplied all points. Among the preachers who have been on this circuit (besides those separately mentioned in connection with the Hackberry church) are: J. R. Evans, J. S. Christlieb, G. W. Beard, B. F. Woods, A. W. Potter, J. R. Robinson and H. D. Moore.

Altamont. - A class was formed in a school-house near the southeast corner of Labette township, in 1872, which was moved to Altamont in 1874. It has been maintained but a part of the time.

Trenton. - A class was organized at the school-house in District No. 67, in Howard township, March 31, 1885, with A. Bessy as leader. Services continued, to be held there.

Hackberry. - In the fall of 1881 Rev. J. M. Magic, assisted by Rev. T. D. Bickham, held a protracted meeting at the Hiatt school-house, in District No. 26, and at its close organized a United Brethren class. A part of the time since then the preachers who have supplied this class, among other appointments, have preached at Pleasant View, Bowman and Trenton school-houses; also at Altamont and Parsons. Pastors: 1883, J. A. Evert; 1884, W. H. Sapp; 1885, S. W. Redman; 1886, Mrs. J. M. Magic and J. A. Evert; 1887, D. B. Finch; 1888-89, F. M. Gillett; 1890, Rev. Mr. Huffman; 1892, D. W. Juday. The following persons have served as presiding elders: B. A. Spring, J. R. Chambers, G. H. Hinton, C. H. Jones, J. K. Spencer. The following have been secretaries of the quarterly conference, each one or more terms: J. M. Magic, E. S. Bessy, Anna Riddick, A. H. Mickey. At the last quarterly conference in 1891, John Riddick, Christian Helwig, David Romine, Louis Zink and A. H. Mickey were elected trustees, and directed to take steps to secure the erection of a church building, which has since been erected on the northwest quarter of section 1 in Hackberry township, at a cost of about $800. The church was dedicated July 16, 1893. This is the only church building this denomination has in the south half of the county.


Rev. Henry Mattill was the first minister of this denomination to preach in the county. F. W. Voegelein was next sent, and after him, his brother, A. J. Voegelein, came and organized a class in 1879, at the Sylvan Dale schoolhouse in District No. 79. After the organization of this class, the pastors have been: 1879-83, A. J. Voegelein; 1883, Charles Linge; 1884-86, J. W. Keiser; 1887, A. J. Flickinger; 1888-90, H. S. Bowers; 1891-92, M. J. Stenimetz; 1893-94, Omer Butler; 1894-97, B. H. Hobbs; 1898-1901, John M. Frieker. During Mr. Keiser's pastorate, in the winter of 1884-85, a successful revival was held, resulting in a large addition to the membership of the church. This was followed by steps toward erecting a church building in Dennis. The church was completed and dedicated in 1887, under the pastorate of Mr. Flickinger. It is the only church building this denomination has in the county.


Sometime in the 'seventies a class of this denomination was formed at Parsons, and during its existence had N. K. Shimp and ___ McKesson among its ministers. After doing some work the class became entirely disorganized. In 1880 Rev. J. H. Luse held a protracted, meeting in the southwestern portion of the county, and formed a class or two. A church has been erected at Morton station, in the edge of Montgomery county. A class has also been organized at Mt. Triumph schoolhouse, in District No. 63, in Mound Valley township. Rev. A. Slater and Rev. Abner Green, with others, have preached in several places in the county.


A class of this branch of the great Methodist family was organized at the Emmons school-house, in District No. 84, as early as 1873, and was maintained for several years, but finally abandoned. The only two ministers they had, so far as I have learned, were Revs. Messrs. VanCleve and Wayland.


A few classes of this branch of the church have existed in the county for quite a number of years. They have been somewhat few in number, and have never attempted the erection of any church building, so far as I have learned. They have held meetings at various points in school-houses. At one time Rev. Thomas D. Bickham, before he started the Salvation Church of Christ, was a preacher in this denomination, and some time prior to 1880, 0. P. Lineback had ministerial oversight for the county.


Parsons. - Rev. A. H. Daniels, of the A. M. E. church, came to Labette county in the spring of 1876, and organized classes at Oswego and Parsons. In June of that year he commenced to raise funds with which to build a church at Parsons. Lot 17 in block 17 was secured as a site in July, 1876, and soon there after a building was commenced. Messrs. French, Cavanaugh and Miller were the first trustees. Commencing with 1891, the pastors have been: 1891, J. Allen; 1892, M. Wooton; 1893-95, J. R. Ransom; 1896, E. Harrison; 1897-98, A. C. Terrill; 1899-1900, M. Collins. This and the Oswego church were jointly served by the same pastors for several years. About 1895 they erected a good brick church, building at a cost of about $2,600.

Oswego. - The class at this place was organized in the spring of 1876, about the same time as the one at Parsons. The organization was effected by Rev. A. H. Daniels, who acted as pastor that year. During the year a neat frame church was erected On lot 3, in block 16. A few years thereafter a dwelling-house was purchased and moved onto lots 1 and 2, just north of the church, to be used for a parsonage. The pastors of the church have been: A. H. Daniels, W. F. Hedgman, L. W. McCormick, J. W. Walton, J. E. Weir, John Brewer, J. L. Hatton, A. M. Ward, Thomas Mudd, Pompey Johnson, John Boyd, J. E. Bricus, S. H. Baker, A. J. King, E. H. Harden, J. L. Leonard, ___ Smith, A. E. Clark, J. R. Nelson, P. Williams, and L. Parks. Their church building was rented by the board of education for several years, in which to hold one department of the colored school.

Chetopa. - The class at this place dates from 1881, and has not maintained services, all the time since then. It has a church building. Its pastors have been those who were at the same time serving the Oswego church, and who are named in connection with that work.