Transcribed from History of Labette County, Kansas and its Representative Citizens, ed. & comp. by Hon. Nelson Case. Pub. by Biographical Publishing Co., Chicago, Ill. 1901

Return to table of contents | Return to Index | Return to Biography Index S

William Scott

WILLIAM SCOTT, a farmer living in section 24, township 31, range 18, east, in Osage township, Labette county, Kansas, is a native of Williams county, Ohio, and was born in 1845. He is a son of Christopher and Naomi (Franks) Scott.

Christopher Scott was born in Wayne county, Ohio, April 22, 1822, and died at the home of his son William, January 17, 1901. After his marriage, Mr. Scott was presented with 80 acres of land by his father-in-law. This was in 1841, when he located in Ohio. He traded a team of horses for 40 acres more, and began farming. He married Naomi Franks, who was born October 17, 1823, in Ohio, but whose ancestors were natives of Pennsylvania. She died in Ohio, August 19, 1889. Mr. and Mrs. Scott reared the following children, namely: William; Peter; Martha J.; Frank; Sarah; M. D.; Julia; Nancy; and Lucetta. Peter died in Labette county, January 16, 1897. Martha J. (Laubsher) lives in Goshen, Indiana. Frank is a farmer in Michigan. Sarah is the wife of C. F. Newman, who lives in Sherwood, Ohio. M. D. is with his brother William in Labette county, where he began to study for the Gospel ministry; he completed his education at Wesleyan College, in Ohio, and has been preaching in Labette county since 1885. Julia (Saul) is the wife of a farmer living in Melbern, Ohio. Nancy (Berlin) lives near the old homestead in Ohio. Lucetta (Buda) lives on a portion of the old home place.

William Scott attended the common schools of his native county, and remained at home until July 12, 1862. He then enlisted from Williams county, Ohio, in Company C, 111th Reg., Ohio Vol. Inf. He served first as a private and later as a noncommissioned officer, in a part of the Second Brigade, Second Division, 23d Army Corps. He was in General Sherman's army, and later was sent back with General Thomas to fight General Hood. Mr. Scott was mustered out of the United States service, at Salisbury, North Carolina, and out of the state service at Cleveland, Ohio, July 16, 1865. At one time a bullet grazed his cheek, but he was not seriously wounded; being a man of iron constitution, he suffered no ill effects from the hardships of the war.

After his return from the army, Mr. Scott served a three years' apprenticeship in the plastering trade, and. followed that occupation for a period of eighteen years. In the fall of 1873 he went to Little Rock, Arkansas, to look over the surrounding country, but being dissatisfied with the system of taxation, he started for Junction City, Kansas. On his way he stopped at Parsons, where he met a land agent, who persuaded him to inspect the land in that vicinity. He decided to buy his present farm, and, after settling the matter, returned to his home in Ohio. Six months later he came back to Kansas with his family. G. W. Everhart, who was the owner of the north half of section 24, township 31, range 18, deeded Mr. Scott the northeast quarter of the section, and Mr. Scott later secured the northwest quarter. Mr. Everhart had broken about 150 acres of the half section and had set out some hedge and built a small house. All of the present fine improvements have been made by Mr. Scott, and he now has one of the best farms in the county. He carries on general farming, preferring Red Polled Angus cattle and Poland-China hogs. He is one of the best farmers in the state, and is a self made man.

Mr. Scott was married to Marian L. Sapford, who was born in Ohio, in 1846. They have two children living: Howard and Lovisa. J. Howard lives in the northwest quarter of section 24; he married Mary Ada Craft, and they have three sons and one daughter. Lovisa J. (Freshour) lives southeast of Parsons, and has one daughter. Mr. Scott was formerly a Republican, in politics, but now votes for the best man, irrespective of party views and affiliations. He has served as clerk of Osage township. He became a Master Mason in a lodge in Ohio, and is now a member of the Parsons Lodge, No. 117, A. F. & A. M. He attends the Baptist church, of which both he and his wife are members. A picture of Mr. and Mrs. Scott and their son and daughter accompanies this sketch.