Mumford is a small rural cemetery located on Ridge Road
North of Sharon. The Cemetery is approximately four miles west of Tri-City
Road and is located on the black top. The oldest visible stone is shown
on the right from 1884. Click on the image to see the inscription. The
Cemetery is still very active and well-kept.
James Louthan sold one-fouth acre of land for $20.00 for a cemetery. Materials
purchased were: 40 rods woven wire, 54¢ a rd. $21.70; 1 gate 48x10 ft $4.45;
5 hanks 5 lbs. brace wire @ 22¢; 1 spool galvanized barber wire wire for
$3.65; staples, 25¢; spike nails, 15¢; 28 line posts at 25¢ - $7.00;
5 corner posts @ 50¢ - $2.50; 9-12 ft. brace posts @ 70¢; 500 bricks
for $6.00; storage on wire at depot, 50¢. The expenses of the cemetery were
paid by free-will contributions of the people in the community, work was done
by men of the community with meals being prepared by the ladies.
(Information from page 24 of Chosen
Land - A History of Barber County, Kansas ©1980)
© 2002 Ed Rucker for KSGen Web Project