History of Chase County, Kansas
Aug. 13, 1909 - Waddle Dry Goods Store has a fine display of old coins in their front window.
Albert Rogler has just completed one of the largest and finest barns, on his ranch near Matfield Green that there is in Chase County.
Ben Jones who has been in business in Saffordville longer than any other man in town, has sold his shop to Oll Nevit, who will continue the business.
Aug. 17 – Street Car Line sold. New owner will put in many new improvements including a new track and either an electric or gasoline car. Mr. Neal is the new owner.
Burt Allen oldest son of Mr. & Mrs T. G. Allen was married in Washington, D. C.
Aug. 24 - Cattle began moving out of Bazaar in earnest when a train of 42 cars was taken out on Sunday.
Tom Lyles of Saffordville died of typhoid fever. He has always lived in Chase County being born in 1887. He leaves his young wife the former Ella ImMasche, father and mother, Mr. & Mrs D. M. Lyles, four brothers and five sisters.
Matfield township had an increase of two in population, a daughter to both Mr. & Mrs Clarence North and Mr. & Mrs. Bert Carpenter.
Dana Crawford received his new violancello. He is a member of the Clements Symphony Orchestra. Miss Celia Hawkins is the director.
The new alfalfa mill at Clements is in full swing.
Aug. 27 - The Clements State Bank opened for business. It is made of brick and well equipped. The officers are; Wm. Dawson, President, Oscar Duehn, Vice-President, and Frank Heckendorn, Cashier.
Jas. Lind's fine large barn about half a mile east of Saffordville was struck by lighting and completed destroyed. Nothing was saved but the horses.
Born to Mr. & Mrs. A. G. Shaw of Lone Star, a baby girl.
Aug. 31 - All the school houses are cleaned and fumigated before fall term begins.
Ed Sauble has finished the stone work on T. E. Sayre's house on Cedar creek.
Cal Baldwin has sold his billard hall and bowling alley in Cottonwood Falls to Wid Vinson.
Sept. 3 - Workmen are busy tearing down the old bakery on Main street, west of the telephone office belonging to F. Oberst. This is one of the oldest buildings in town and is one of the landmarks. The bakery was built about 40 years ago. Mr. Oberst plans to build a cottage on the site of the old bakery.
Sept. 7 - Judge Wells issued a marriage license to Andrew J. McCabe of Bazaar and Mary E. Pendergraft of South Fork and they were married, and will live on a farm near Bazaar.
|Chase County Host|
Home Page for Kansas
|Search all of Blue Skyways
The KSGenWeb Project