KSGenWeb - The Primary Source for Kansas Genealogy

History of Chase County, Kansas

Abstracts of Leader-News
1899 - 1999

This history was abstracted by Patty J Donelson, Chase County Historical Society Curator.
Transcribed and indexed by Lorna Marvin, Chase County Coordinator

     PAGE 60

     April 30, 1903 -- S. N. Richards is tearing the old creamery building down.

     Mr. & Mrs Arthur Wilson are the parents of a boy.

     Tom Sayre & Lulu Deering of Homestead were married at the Commerical Hotel.

     H. C. Stephenson's school at Wonsevu closed. Mr. Stephenson is one of the best teachers Chase Co. ever produced and received a high wages of $65 per month this year.. This is his last year of teaching.

     May 7, 1903 -- Rev. Father Sklenar who has been the pastor of the Catholic church at Strong City has left for a new charge.

     Miss Lillian Hildebrand & Mr. James Kennedy are married. The bride was born in this county.

     The corner stone of the Topeka RR. Y.M.C.A. was taken from the quarry on the James Austin farm.

     John Frew went out to Matfield to plat an addition south of that town. It is laid out by the South Fork Town Site Co.

     Dr Lea Trowbridge, the dentist has established his new quarters over Gillett & Ferlet's Hardware Store.

     Robert Holmes has bought the store building formerly occupied by the Smith Bros. from Mr. Alexander.

     Dr. Rich of Clements was called to the Ben Hendrickson's east of Wonsevu to deliver a great big boy.

     May 14, 1903 -- The marriage of Eliza Louise Uhl of the Falls to Fred Kaltenbacher of Diamonds Spring. They will make their home 2 miles west of Elmdale.

     The 17th. annual commencement of the Cottonwood Falls High School is held.

     Geo. Stout & Henry Gieswine are off the street cars and Martin Copeland & Henry Hoffermehl are driving the cars.

     Miss Nellie Sanders was choosen by the Cooper College Alumni Assoc. to give their annual address.. Nellie was a graduate of this school only a year ago.

     The first rural free delivery route in Chase Co. started operation on May 1st. It runs north from Saffordville & supplies all the north of Toledo township.

     Two post offices are discontinued at Elba & Toledo.

     Claud Shaft has a new rubber tired buggy.

     The R. R. Commissioners spent 2 days in Matfield condemning land for a site of a depot, switches, stockyards etc.

     May 21, 1903 -- Dr McCaskell died at his home on Bloody Creek. He came to Chase Co. in 1882. He has served as Representative & Commissioner in Chase Co.

     W. C. Harvey has his office completed and will began his real estate business.

     Births; Mr. & Mrs Paul Cartter, a daughter, Mr. & Mrs E. W. Bocook a son.

     J. D. Doolittle graduated from the law department of Kansas University.

     Breaking prairie & building fence has been the occupation of the farmers lately.

     May 28, 1903 -- Mr. Burns of the firm Burns & McDonald was in town to make a plat of the town to determine the cost & practicabily of Water Works.

     Births: Geo. Drummond & wife a son and Mr. and Mrs A. Armagost a son and also Mr. & Mrs Ed Nichols a son.

Chase County Host
Lorna Marvin

Return to Chase County Index

Background and KSGenWeb logo were designed and are copyrighted by
Tom & Carolyn Ward
for the limited use of the KSGenWeb Project.
Permission is granted for use only on an official KSGenWeb page.
The USGenWeb Logo was designed by Linda Cole.

Last updated 05/14/2003

Home Page for Kansas
Search all of Blue Skyways
The KSGenWeb Project
Check out these links!