ANDREW DUNCAN ARNETT                   GRAVESTONE PHOTO                      

The Parsons Sun, April 10, 1906, Pg. 1.:



Fort Scott Paper Gives Account of the

Death of Former Parsons Man.



  The body of Mr. Andrew Arnett was brought from Fort Scott to this city this afternoon for interment in Oakwood cemetery, as was announced in the Sun yesterday evening. Funeral services were held at the home in Fort Scott at 12 o’clock today, conducted by Rev. Orchard, pastor of the Christian church of this city.  Miss Ada Arnett of this city, was a daughter of the deceased.  The Fort Scott Tribune gives the following regarding the last sickness, life and death of Andy Arnett.

  “Andy Arnett, for many years foreman of the blacksmith shops at the Missouri Pacific shops, died suddenly Sunday morning at 2:20, at the family home, 120 North Crawford street.  The cause of death was heart disease and the end came after a serious illness of one day.  The news of his death spread rapidly yesterday morning to his many friends and all received it with deep sorrow.  While Mr. Arnett had been in poor heath for several years, it was not thought that there was anything serious in his condition.  Friday he worked as usual but Saturday he was taken to his bed with complication of diseases.  Heart disease developed right away and this carried him off suddenly.  His death is a sad blow to the family.  Mr. Arnett was widely known all over the city.  He had been a resident of Fort Scott for seventeen years and was one of the substantial and influential citizens of the town.  Although of a retired disposition he was alive to the general topics of the day and a man who had a thorough knowledge of things generally.  The deceased was 67 years of age at his last birthday.

  “Andy Duncan Arnett was a native of Scotland, he having been born in that country on November 22, 1838 and when but four years of age he came to this country with his parents.  His early manhood was spent in Ohio.  It was there he lived when the late civil war broke out.  He was one of the first to answer the call of President Lincoln to take up arms against the southern foe.  He served throughout the war in Company C, Nineteenth Ohio regiment with distinction.  At the close of the war, Mr. Arnett went to Missouri and located at Virgil City where he went into the milling business until about 1873 when Mr. Arnett disposed of his interests there and went to Parsons.  At that time Parsons was but a small place, having but few stores and few houses.  He lived in that city until seventeen years ago, when he came to Fort Scott and took the position which he held at the time of his death, that of foreman of the blacksmith shops.  As a workman he was held in the highest esteem by his employees and co-workers.  Mr. Arnett was always to be found at the post of duty and this gave him high standing with his superiors.  The deceased was quite a home man and was always devoted to his family, a kind and loving father and a dutiful husband.  His life could well be taken as a model for others to follow.  The deceased was a member of the A.O. U. W. lodge of this city."