E. W. PENNY            

Goodland Republic, Oct. 30, 1919

Died:  Oct. 24, 1919



Pioneer and Ex-County Official Succumbs to Heart Disease

On Friday of Last Week.


  Probate Judge Donly called our attention to the death of Col. E. W. Penny, well known to the older residents of this county, at his home in Topeka, Friday of last week.  The Topeka Capital contained the following account of his death:

  “Col. E. W. Penny, age 81, a member of Lincoln Post and an old resident of Kansas, died almost instantly last night.  He had suffered an attack of heart disease while in a coal shed at the rear of his home, 1162 High street.  He was dead when he was found five minutes later by his niece, Miss Marcella Jackson.  Col. Penny had been in poor health since the Civil war as the result of wounds he received in battle, according to his niece.  He had been an active member of Lincoln Post for many years and also was a member of the I. O. O. F. lodge at Goodland.

  After entering the Civil war as a captain of the 130th Indiana infantry Colonel Penny, through his bravery, was promoted to the rank of captain of his regiment, where he served the remainder of the war.  He was wounded six times during the four years and lost an arm in the battle of Atlanta.

  “At the close of the war, he was for eight months commander of an army post in Charlotte, N. C., which covered eighty square miles of territory.

  “Colonel Penny came to Kansas thirty-five years ago and settled near Scandia.  He then went to Goodland where he resided until twenty years ago when he moved to Topeka.  Since the Civil war he has suffered considerably from a wound in his side.  He is survived by a son, Edward Penny, of Denver, Colorado, and a daughter, Mrs. Rose Jones of Fort Collins, Colorado.”


Goodland Weekly Republic, Friday, September 13, 1895



Presented With a Neat Gold-Headed Stick By His Regiment.


  During the peragrations of Colonel E. W. Penny this summer he took in the annual reunion of the 130th Indiana volunteers of which he was colonel and in whose service he lost his sword arm.  The regiment was famous for its fighting qualities and during its service lost more than half its original numbers in battle.

  The 130th was with Sherman in its march to the sea and for 120 days in the Atlanta campaign was never out of musketry fire.  The campaign was, in short, on continuous battle, in which his gallant regiment took no little part.

  Aug. 6, 1864, was the bloodiest day of the war in the regimental history of the 130th.  On that day, in less than 20 minutes, more than 200 of their number were killed and wounded.  To the survivors this day is a sacred one, and has become a fixed day for the reunion of the surviving members of the regiment.  This year the reunion was held at Middletown, Ind., and was one of the most enjoyable meetings the battle-scarred veterans have ever participated in.

  As a token of their regard the members of the organization this year presented Colonel Penny with an elegant gold-headed, mahagony (sic) cane, bearing his name on a silver plate, and also the date of presentation and by whom.