The Burlingame Enterprise, Thursday, Feb. 23, 1905, Pg. 1

Vol. X, No. 20



  On Friday evening, February 17, at 4:15 o’clock there passed from this life a man, a good man, who, in the eyes of a worshipful people, seemed to have reached after and attained all the good things this side of heaven; those things toward which all mankind strives in an imperfect way, yet which few, too few, attain to even a degree of perfection.  Who in all Burlingame and vicinity does not mourn today because of the death of Rev. Gill?  That man, that good man, whose kindly greeting, friendly hand clasp and fatherly counsel was freely extended to every human creature; that good man who possessed all the elements of noble Christian manhood, against whom not a single word of ill reproach was uttered, a fact which became proverbial among all classes in Burlingame; that good man whose beautiful and symmetrical life and character was a constant benediction.  All of the quarries of granite and marble in every land could not erect a monument more lasting than the blessed memory of this good man which is enshrined in the hearts of this grateful people, grateful because they could have known such a one as he.

  Edward Gill was born at Kirkle, parish Rusher, Isle of Man, September 24, 1837.  He came to America in 1852, lived for a number of years in Ohio, and in 1859, came to Leavenworth, Kansas, and became an active factor in the history of this historic state.  He responded to the nation’s call for arms by enlisting at Leavenworth as a private in the Fifteenth Kansas Cavalry, served three years, and came out with a second lieutenant’s commission.  Though not having the ministry in mind in his early manhood, he entered that profession in 1870.  He seemed endowed with those elements of success which have made him a power in every charge he has held, particularly can this be said of his work in Manhattan, the Washington avenue church of Kansas City, Kansas, and in this place.

  He was married at Lawrence to Miss Janette Warren, April 8, 1875.  Of four children born to them, two survive, Mrs. Eva Gill-Clark and John H. Gill.  He is also survived by his wife, a brother at the old home in the Manxland, and by his brother, William, of Auburn, Kansas.  He was an uncle of Rev. Wm. Quayle, of Kansas City.  Rev. Gill was a Knight Templar, holding membership in other Masonic fraternities at Manhattan, and a member of E. P. Sheldon Post, G. A. R.

  Rev. Gill had been afflicted for some years with diabetes, and a slight injury a few weeks since developed blood poisoning and hastened his death.  On account of failing health, he felt it needful to leave the ministry this spring, and characteristic of the man, the work of every intervening Sabbath until the meeting of conference in March had been carefully arranged.  Though his life in the ministry was so soon to be finished, yet God gave him his heart’s desire, and he “died in the harness.”

  Funeral services were held in his church Saturday evening at five o’clock after which the remains were taken to Manhattan, via Topeka, for interment.  The services at this place were conducted by Rev. D. A. Shutt, of Osage City, assisted by the local pastors Rev. Schaible and Rev. Flanagin.  The services were sad and impressive, and the church was packed to the doors.  Manhattan was “home” to Brother Gill and he hoped to spend his last days there.  The services there were held at 2:30 Sunday afternoon, in the church which he was instrumental in building in 1880, conducted by Rev. J. A. Simpson of Kansas City, assisted by local pastors Rev. Hanson and Knipe, Mrs. Eva Gill-Clark, who is teaching school at Great Bend, joined the funeral party at Manhattan.