ELIPHALET L. PATEE              

The Manhattan Nationalist, Thursday, May 28, 1903, Pg. 2

Vol. XXXIII, No. 1691


Dr. E. L. Patee Dead.

  At noon, Saturday, May 23, 1903, Dr. Eliphalet L. Patee died at the Patee home on West Poyntz avenue of senile gangrene.  The doctor was very feeble for some days before his death.  The funeral was held on Tuesday from the M. E. church and the remains were intered in the Manhattan cemetery.  Revs. J. K. Miller, John Hood, and Edward Gill officiated at the funeral.

  The deceased was born at Oxford, Delaware Co., Ohio, Feb. 23, 1827.  He graduated at the Ohio Wesleyan University in 1849 and from the Starling Medical College at Columbus Ohio, in 1852.  He began the practice of medicine in Meggs county, Ohio, in 1853.  In the fall of 1855 he came to Kansas, taking a homestead in Ashland township west of the Ashland school house, and in the following year moved his family out from Ohio, coming with the Cincinnati colony.  Apr. 14, 1861, he with others from Riley Co, joined Co. B, 2nd Kansas Vol. Inf., and he was made surgeon.  He was under Capt. J. R. McClure, now of Junction City.  W. H. Bower is now the only member of this company living about Manhattan.  Because of his energy and skill, as shown in his care of the wounded after the battle of Wilson Creek, he was promoted and later made medical director of General Blunt’s army.  After the war closed, he returned to Manhattan where he has remained since.  He was county treasurer four years, from ’64 to ’68, and was county coroner several terms.  He was  a member of the Masonic order, I. O. O. F., and G. A. R.  He was married Sept. 22, 1852, to Miss Cynthia A. Dye, of Morgan county, O., to whom, were born three children, Alice (Mrs. Dickens) of King City, Mo.; Clarence of Kansas City; and Henry of New York City.  By a later marriage he has one son, Eliphalet, Jr., now a student in the K. S. A. C.

  The deceased was the oldest physician in Manhattan, both in age and the number of years in practice of medicine.  He was a man of much natural ability and had many friends in this country among all classes of people.


The Manhattan Nationalist, Thursday, July 2, 1903, Pg. 8

Vol. XXXIII, No. 1697


Resolutions on the Death of Major

E. L. Patee.

MANHATTAN, June 25, 1903.

  Your committee on resolutions on the death of Comrade E. L. Patee desire to submit the following:

  Whereas, by Providential dispensation Major E. L. Patee was removed from this life at his home in this city at 12 o’clock May 23rd 1903, therefore your committee deems it both right and proper that we pay this last tribute of respect to the memory of the deceased comrade.  Dr. E. L. Patee entered in army early in ’61 and remained in it until near the close of the war.  He was assistant surgeon of the 2nd Kansas Infantry, and later surgeon of the 1st Indian regiment and still later was promoted to brigade surgeon, “Army of the Frontier,” with the rank of major.  He filled all of these official positions with distinguished fidelity to the government and honor to himself, and to his skill and loving care many lives were spared to home and country.  Not alone by the old comrades will be missed, but by the poor and needy of this community.  At last his life work is ended and as was most fitting his remains were borne to their last resting place by his late comrades.  Peace to his ashes.  Therefore be it.

  Resolved, that in the death of Comrade Patee the country has lost an honored defender, the G. A. R.  a patriotic member, the poor and destitude a kind friend and neighbor, and be it further.

  Resolved, that these resolutions be made a part of the records of this post, and that a copy of these resolutions be sent to the family of the deceased, and a copy furnished the city papers for publication.

  Respectfully submitted in F. C. and L.


                                                            F. E. MARSH,

                                                            JOHN A. ROBERTSON,