EVAN CALLANTINE                          GRAVESTONE PHOTO                      

The Humboldt Union, Thursday, May 11, 1916, Pg. 4.

Died: April 26, 1916




  Evan Callantine was born of Welch parents in Guernsey county, Ohio, June 20, 1835.  In 1851 he accompanied his parents to Indiana, where he remained until he was 21.  He then located in Illinois, following his trade of carpenter until the beginning of the war.  In 1861, he enlisted in Co. D, 21st Illinois Infantry.  In 1863 he was discharged because of disability, but as soon as he recovered he re-enlisted in Co. D, 1ST Mississippi Marine Brigade, where he served until the close of the war.

  After the war he located at Independence, Missouri.  But the call of the west was insistent, and the next four years found him in the mining country of Montana.  In 1870 he came to Kansas where he remained until 1873.  Four years were then spent in Chicago.

  In 1877 he married Miss Lucretia Hurlbert, and settled in Humboldt.  She lived but a year, dying suddenly one evening while attending services at the Presbyterian church.  In 1880 he was married to Miss Lucy Ash.  All of his life, since 1877, with the exception of a few years in Kansas City, has been spent in Humboldt.

  Such, in a few words, is the history of four score years of active, energetic manhood.  But it would take many more pages to tell of the record of such a life.  Skilled in his trade, Mr. Callantine was always in demand where skill was at a premium.  Whereever he worked will be found a record of substantial workmanship which will long survive him.  And as carefully as he planned his work, did he plan and conduct his life.  Turning to God in early life, he so lived that when the time came to go, he went cheerfully and willingly, knowing that his departure was but a step into the never, freer life of the Kingdom.

  When he settled in Humboldt he united with the Presbyterian church.  For many years he was a member of the session, resigning but a few years ago, when he thought some younger person should take up his work.  Active in the Sunday School, the occasion was rare when he was not present.  He was last present on prayer meeting night, the week before he died.  He passed away at 6 o’clock on the evening of Wednesday, April 26, 1916, just before the annual meeting of the church, which he had rarely failed to attend.