GEORGE S. HAWKINS                  GRAVESTONE PHOTO                      

The Peoples Herald, Thursday, July 29, 1915, Pg. 1

Vol. 27, No. 14




After Illness of Several Months

From Cancerous Growths.


  The subject of this obituary sketch, had been ill for sometime with cancerous growths affecting his throat and head and nature yielded to the inroads made by them on Sunday morning, July 25 at 4:50 o’clock, by permitting his spiritual self to leave its weakened clay tenement and seek knowledge and comfort in the Great Beyond.

  George S. Hawkins was born April 22, 1838, at Freeport, Ill., and at his demise was aged 77 years, 3 months and 3 days.  He had borne his suffering patiently and uncomplainly (sic) and met the grim monster courageously and without fear or trembling.  He, in his early manhood, gave evidence of his bravery and patriotism, by hearing his country’s call, enlisting and serving from ’61 to ’65, in Company K, 92nd Illinois Volunteer Infantry.  Belonging to the Army of the West, under Sherman, he accompanied that famous leader on his march to the sea.  Serving valiantly ble impulses (sic) and was ever faithful in the discharge of every duty.  He was a reticent but kindly disposition that won him many warm and abiding friends.  As a husband, father and citizen, he leaves and record above reproach and one that may well be followed by friends and family.  While still a resident of Missouri, Mr. Hawkins was converted to the Christian religion and untied with the M. E. church and to him is now revealed the mysteries of immortality and the encompassing love of a Heavenly Father.

  Funeral services were conducted at his home, Monday morning at 10:30 o’clock with Rev. J. B. Giltrow of the M. E. church officiating and Rev. C. E. Hatfield of the Presbyterian church assisting. A wealth of beautiful floral offerings was in evidence and a large assemblage of sympathizing friends bore testimony to the esteem in which the departed was held and the universal sympathy of the community for the bereaved family.  Interment was had in the Lyndon cemetery.