HENRY CLAY SCOTT             GRAVESTONE PHOTO                      

The Burlingame Enterprise, Thursday, Nov. 26, 1908, Pg 1

Vol. XIV, No. 6


Henry C. Scott.


   H. C. Scott, who for almost two decades has been a citizen of Burlingame and a prominent factor in the later history of the town, died at his home a mile north of town on Wednesday, November 18.  Mr. Scott has been in failing health for the past two years, but was able to be about until very recently and withal his demise occurred almost without warning.

  Henry Clay Scott was born April 17, 1831, in East Smithfield, Pennsylvania, aged at his death 77 years, 7 months and 1 day.  He was married in Smithfield, November 11, 1863, to Olive A. Niles.  Mr. Scott served for two years in the Union army in Co. A, of the Twenty-third New York Volunteer Infantry.  In his early life he learned the carpenter’s trade.  At the close of the war he and his family moved from Pennsylvania to Turner Junction, Ill.  Here he engaged in farming till 1870, when they moved to Burlingame, Kansas.  Three children were born to them, Clinton Sherman, Ernest Farwell and Willard Wood.  Only a few month after coming to Burlingame and on July 28, 1870, Mrs. Scott died, and in July 1871 the son, Willard, passed away.

  On September 11, 1882, Mr. Scott was united in marriage to Nellie S. Russell, in Ontario, New York, who had formerly been engaged in teaching school in Burlingame.  Mrs. Scott and the two sons, Clinton, of Phoenix, Arizona, and Ernest of Burlingame, remain to the immediate family to mourn the loss of the husband and father.

  Mr. Scott was a man whom it was good to know.  His general bearing was that of kindly interest in the affairs of others, of good will for all, of activity, enterprise and unbounded faith in the interests of his own home and business.  His was not a nature for moroseness, nor did adversity or trouble affect his genial character.  He was an Odd Fellow of more than thirty years standing and to him fraternity meant much.  The lodge of I. O. O. F., No. 14, together with E. P. Sheldon Post No. 35, G. A. R. attended the funeral which was held at the farm home, Friday afternoon at 2 o’clock, Rev. C. E. Flanagin, officiating.