HIRAM N. CLARK            GRAVESTONE PHOTO                      

The Evening Herald, Wednesday, July 20, 1910

Died:  July 20, 1910






Having Apparently Good Health This

Morning Mr. Clark Was Stricken

Before Noon With Disease.


  While seated in a chair in his home at 625 Ash street, Hiram N. Clark, a well known citizen of Ottawa, died suddenly this morning about 8:30 o’clock.  Up to a week ago Mr. Clark has been in particularly good health.  On July 11 he suffered a slight stroke of heart trouble, and it was thought for a time that he would recover from it, but he rallied from the attack, and when he arose this morning was feeling well.  He and Mrs. Clark lived alone.

  Shortly after 6 o’clock this morning he arose, ate his breakfast, and went on a short walk around the place.  He returned to the house, shaved himself, and sat down for a short rest.  A few minutes after 8 o’clock he complained to his wife about feeling badly and a telephone call was sent to Dr. G. W. Davis.  The call had hardly been sent, when he was seized, with a sudden smothering spell, and a second call was out in for the physician.  Dr. Davis arrived there in time to find Mr. Clark seated in the chair, breathing his last.  Restoratives were administered, but Mr. Clark died in the chair.  He was removed to the bed.  His two sons, W. S. Clark, the insurance agent, and Werter R. Clark, living on a farm near town, were summoned, but did not arrive till after their father’s death.

  Hiram N. Clark was born in Canada, May 28, 1843.  He served through the Civil War and February 24, 1870 was married to Eliza Genevieve Shepherd, who with the two sons, survive him.  He moved here from Coffey County in 1899.  He was for a number of years engaged in farming, but for the past few years spent his time looking after his farms, and his place on Ash street.  He was a member of the G. A. R., the Methodist church, and the Modern Woodmen, in the latter organization carrying $2,000 in insurance.  The funeral will be held from the home Friday afternoon at 2:30 o’clock.  Burial in Highland cemetery.  The service will be conducted by Rev. Mr. Douglass and Rev. Mr. Maclean.

  Mr. Clark has had a premonition that he was going to die soon.  Two years ago he asked explicitly of his physicians as to just what symptoms would appear when death was near, in a case like this.  He is said to have left a note in his trousers pocket, giving a number of instructions to his two boys as to matters of importance.  The note is thought to have been written this morning, shortly before he was stricken.