HORACE D. GRANT GRAVESTONE PHOTO
Grant, H D. Bio
Cutler’s History of Kansas, 1883
HON. H. D. GRANT, Police Judge, was born in Chautauqua County, N. Y., March 26, 1835; reared in Herkimer County, N. Y., removing from the latter county (when he was eighteen years of age) to Illinois, where he worked on a farm for a short time; then settled in Michigan and resumed his studies, attending Michigan Central College, at Jackson. He raised Company I, Fourth Michigan Cavalry. In July, 1862, he was mustered in as First Lieutenant of his company, and in the ensuing month received his commission as Captain and took his company into active service. After serving two months and a half as Captain he was assigned to command of a battalion, and continued in command thereof until May 27, 1864, when he was taken prisoner near Kingston, Ga. After his capture he was taken to Charleston, and was one of fifty officers of the United States Army who were placed under fire of our own guns to prevent further bombardment of the town by the federal army. He was exchanged after two months in the confederate prisons, returned to his regiment, and resumed command, remaining in the service until December 11, 1864, when he was mustered out. The principal battles which he participated in were Perryville, Stone River, Chickamauga and Mission Ridge; was slightly wounded at Sparta, Tenn., in August 1863. Early in 1865 he took a stock of merchandise to Franklin, Tenn., remaining there about six months. He then returned to Michigan, where he remained for some time for the recuperation of his health, which had been considerably impaired while in the army. When he had recovered sufficiently to again attend to business duties, he embarked in railroading pursuits. His main interests being in Tennessee, he was appointed by Gov. Brownlow as one of the directors of the Nashville & Northwestern R. R., and was re-appointed to the same position by Gov. Senter, being identified with the road in its active management. He was General Baggage Agent, also for the Nashville & Chattanooga R. R. He was President of the Davidson Board of County Commissioners (Nashville being the county seat); by reason of that position he became Financial Agent of the county, and also Judge, having concurrent jurisdiction with the Chancery and other courts. He also held while at Nashville the offices of Special Assistant Internal Revenue Assessor, Alderman, Member of Common Council, and Chairman of the Fire Department. He removed from Nashville to Montgomery County, Kan., February 5, 1870, locating on northwest quarter of Section 13, Township 31, Range 16 east, in what is now West Cherry Township. What is now known as the Grant Schoolhouse is located on the farm where he first located and resided until 1873, when he came to Independence. The Judge was one of the early Commissioners of Montgomery County, serving also during the same time as Deputy United States Marshal, for this district in Kansas and for the western district of Arkansas, he having been, probably, the only man who ever held a similar position at the same time in two districts. In 1879 he was elected Justice of the Peace, and in 1881 he was elected Justice of the Peace and Police Judge. In 1883 he was re-elected to both offices. He is also United States Commissioner. He is a prominent member of the A., F. & A. M., being connected with the Blue Lodge, Chapter and Commandery. He was one of the prime movers to secure the organization of McPherson Post G. A. R. at this point, this lodge being now the oldest which has been maintained in Kansas. He was married at Millers Mills, Herkimer Co., N. Y., to Elizabeth C. Fosket. They have had two children, neither of them survive. The Judge is a lawyer by profession, and has been admitted to practice in the District and Supreme Courts of Kansas and in the Circuit District Courts of the United States.
South Kansas Tribune, Wednesday, March 29, 1922, Pg. 5:
Major Horace D. Grant, aged 87 years, a citizen of Independence for over fifty years died on Tuesday, March 28th, at the home of Mrs. Bell Sanford, south of the city where he has made his home for several years, and where his wife died a year or more ago. He was an old soldier, a prominent Mason and popular member of the Elks Lodge. He is the last one of the county officers elected in 1870.
The following notice of Maj. Grant was taken from the Montgomery County History, written several years ago:
Major H. D. Grant was admitted to the bar of Montgomery county in 1871 but never engaged in the practice of law. He was born in Chautauqua county, New York on March 26th, 1835. He was reared ‘till he was eighteen years of age, in Herkimer county, New York, and moved to Illinois where he worked for a short time on a farm and then entered Central College at Jackson, Michigan. Shortly afterward he assisted in recruiting Co. “I”, 4th Michigan, and in July 1862, entered the military service as first lieutenant of that company, and, a month later was promoted to the captaincy of the same. Two months and a half later he was assigned to the command of a battalion in the army and continued in that position ‘till May 27th 1864 when he was taken prisoner near Kingston, Georgia. He was taken to Charleston, S. C., where he was one of the fifty officers of the U. S. army place under fire to prevent further bombardment of the city. Two months later he was exchanged and thereupon returned to the army and served ‘till December 11th, 1864, when he was mustered out. While in military service he participated in battle at Perryville, Stone River, Chicamauga and Mission Ridge and was slightly wounded at Sparta, Tenn., in August 1863.
After the war the major held several responsible positions in railroad service in Tennessee, and also several important public offices at Nashville. He removed from Nashville to Montgomery county, Kansas, locating in what is now known as West Cherry Township on February 5th, 1870. He came to Independence in 1873, where he has since resided. Since living in the county he has filled a number of responsible public offices, including deputy U. S. Marshal for Kansas and the Western District of Arkansas, county commissioner, justice of the peace and police judge. The major had been in frail health for a number of years and had retired from all kinds of business. In later life he had been an invalid, confined to his home. When his wife grew feeble they moved to Mrs. Bell’s home, and in a short time his wife died. The major’s life was prolonged until this week when the death summons came. He was a public-spirited citizen and took active part in life’s duties.
Independence Daily Reporter, Wednesday, March 29, 1922, Pg. 3:
DEATH OF MAJOR GRANT YESTERDAY REMOVED A FIGURE LONG PROMINENT IN THIS COUNTY’S EARLY HISTORY
Hon. H. D. Grant, was born in Chautauqua county, N. Y., March 26, 1835. When eighteen years of age he went to Illinois and for a time worked there on a farm, afterwards going to Michigan where he again resumed his duties entering Michigan Central College at Jackson. At the beginning of the civil war he raised Company I, Fourth Michigan Infantry. In 1862 he was mustered in as First Lieutenant of this company. After serving two months and a half as Captain he was assigned to command a battalion and continued in command thereof until May 27, 1864, when he was taken prisoner near Kingston, Ga. After his capture he was taken to Charleston, and was one of the fifty officers of the United States army who were placed under fire of our guns to prevent further bombardment of the town by the federal army. He was exchanged after two months in the Confederate prisons, returned to his regiment, resumed command, and remained in the service until December 11, 1864 hen he was mustered out. The principle battles which he participated in were Perryville, Stone River, Chickamauga and Mission Ridge, and was slightly wounded at Sparta, Tenn., in August 1863. Early in 1865, he took a stock of merchandise to Franklin, Tenn., remaining there about six months. He then returned to Michigan where he remained for some time for the recuperation of his health which had been impaired in the army. When he had recovered sufficiently to again attend to business duties he embarked in railroad pursuits, his main interests being in Tennessee. He was appointed by Gov. Brownlow as one of the directors of the Nashville & Northwestern R.R. and was re-appointed to the same position by Gov. Senter, being identified with the road in its active management. He was general baggage agent also for the Nashville & Chattanooga R. R. He was president of the Davidson board of county commissioners, Nashville being the county seat. By reason of that he became financial agent of the county and also judge, having concurrent jurisdiction with the chancery and other courts. He also held while at Nashville the offices of special assistant internal revenue assessor, alderman, member of the common council and chairman of the fire department. He removed from Nashville to Montgomery county, Kansas, Feb. 5, 1870 locating on northwest quarter of section 13, tp 31, r 16 east, in what is now West Cherry township. What is now known as Grant schoolhouse is located on the farm where he first located and resided until 1873, when he came to Independence.
The judge was one of the early commissioners of Montgomery county serving also during the same time as deputy U. S. Marshall for this district in Kansas and for the western district of Arkansas, he having been probably the only man who held a similar position at the same time in two districts. In 1870 he was elected justice of the peace and in 1881 he was elected justice of the peace and police judge. In 1883 he was reelected to both offices. He was also U. S. commissioner. He was a prominent member of the A. F. & A. M., being connected with the blue lodge, chapter and commandery. He was one of the prime movers to secure the organization of McPherson post G. A. R., at this city, this lodge being the oldest that has been maintained in Kansas.
He was married at Millier Mills, Herkimer county, N. Y., to Elizabeth C. Fosket. Two children were born to this union but neither of them survived. The judge was a lawyer by profession and was admitted to practice in the district and supreme courts of Kansas, and in the circuit courts of the United States.
After Judge Grant’s retirement from active participation in business affairs he and his wife lived very quietly for a number of years in this city. As the years advanced and they became more feeble they went to the home of _____Griffith, where they both remained until death called. Mrs. Grant died sometime ago.
Judge Grant was for many years a familiar figure on the streets. Always dressed neatly with a military bearing and a natural dignity, he had an attractive personality. A genial and friendly man, always looking on the bright side of life he enjoyed a popularity among men that never waned.
The passing of Major Grant removes one of the best known and most unique figures prominently identified with the early history of this city and county. Had he desired great wealth he might have amassed a fortune and become a controlling force in the financial affairs of this section, for in those learn years following the opening of this country to settlement he commanded a large income from fortunate investments in other states, and the man with the cash those days could find abundant opportunities to place it where it would return many fold. Had he been controlled by ambition for political preferment, his splendid record in the civil war, combined with his educational advantages and experience as a public official and business man, were assets that might have been utilized to place him among the top notches in the political world. But there was one thing that he preferred above the allurements of wealth or the honors of office and that was the good will and companionship of congenial men, men who could throw aside the struggles and strifes and ambitions of the hour and join in the social and merry side of life unhampered with care and the apprehension of impending evil.
He possessed an unusual personality. He had the hospitality and friendly courtesy of a Kentucky Colonel, the suave and polished manners of a Lord Chesterfield and the open and cordial frankness of the frontiersmen of the Buffalo Bill type. Always a hale fellow well met, even in those early days when men gave but little attention to dress, he was particular in regard to his personal appearance. Well groomed, neatly and stylishly attired, with the erect carriage of a military man, and a certain natural dignity of bearing, he was for many years a distinctive figure in the active part in the early affairs streets of this city. He had taken an actual part in the early affairs of the city and county and took delight in telling of some of the stirring events of those days and portraying some of the characters who participated in them.
He loved his friends and believed in them. Generous to a fault he gave freely. He saw the bright side of life and never embittered his days with vain regrets nor harbored ill will towards others. A man with broad charities, deep sympathies, a big heart, and friendly instinct, he enjoyed the confidence and deep regard of a very wide circle of friends. But few of the men associated with him in the struggles attending the blazing of the way in this section remain, but there are many men living who knew Major Grant when they were boys and they have never forgotten the gracious and genial man who never passed them without a pleasant greeting.
For a number of years after Major Grant retired from all business and professional activities he and his estimable wife lived quietly in this city but a few years ago on account of the feebleness that came with advancing years they went to the country to make their home. Mrs. Grant died about two years ago.