JACOB B. MITCHELL                  GRAVESTONE PHOTO                      

The Manhattan Nationalist, Thursday, July 9, 1903, Pg. 2

Vol. XXXIII, No. 1693


Dr. J. B. Mitchell Dead.

  Thursday, July 2, 1903, after many years of suffering, Dr. Jacob B. Mitchell died at his residence at the corner of 4th and Houston.  Funeral services, conducted by Rev. Dr. John Hood were held at the house at 6 p. m. Sunday, July 5.  About forty members of the G. A. R. attended in a body.  The music was furnished by Mr. David Howie of Topeka and the following quartette:  Mrs. Hofer, Miss Emma Shaeffer, Dr. C. P. Blachly and W. H. Nicolet.  Interment took place in the Manhattan cemetery.  The pall bearers were Dr. S. D. Ross, E. B. Purcell, Wm. Reid, Geo. S. Murphey, Dr. H. S. Willard, and Jno. E. Hessin.  An only daughter, Miss Lillian Mitchell, and two brothers living near the old Virginia home are left to mourn his departure.

  The deceased was born at Rockingham, Va., Aug. 3, 1831, and was married April 21, 1857, to Miss Dorliska Price, who died in 1890.  Miss Price was a native of Brimfield, Portage Co., Ohio.  After completing the medical course in several eastern medical colleges, Dr. Mitchell came west and began his practice in 1850 at Abington, Ill., where he remained until the breaking out of the Civil War.  During the entire war he was chief surgeon of the 12th Tennessee and 5th Kentucky Cavalry and retired with the rank of major.  Soon after the close of the war he located in Nashville, Tenn.  After several years he came to Eldorado, Kansas, where he practiced until 1882, when he moved to Manhattan where he made investments in addition to property interests held in Colorado and Texas.  He was president of the Union National Bank until 1900 when poor health made it impractical for him to act longer in this capacity.  The doctor’s health was broken during his service in the Civil War and although he traveled much and found at times temporary relief, he was a great sufferer.  He spent most of his winters during the past ten or twelve years at Galveston, Texas.  Since his return from a visit to his old Virginia home, Oct. 15, 1901, he has not been outside his yard, being confined to his room a large part of the time.  Miss Lillian has denied herself almost all social interests that she might be near the doctor day and night.  Recently Caterine Burrrell, a nurse from Galveston, has assisted in taking care of him.  His death was caused primarily by tuberculosis.  He was a consistent member of the Presbyterian church.  As a physician, he was well read and skillful and is spoken of in the very highest terms by those who knew him while actively engaged in his profession.

  Stanley Mitchell of St. Louis, a cousin of the deceased, and Harry Miller, a Virginia friend, now of Des Moines, Iowa, were present at the funeral.