JAMES MILTON BURNS            GRAVESTONE PHOTO                      

Buried in Lincoln Cemetery, Lebo, Coffey Co., KS.

Died:  Aug. 31, 1899


J. M. Burns is Dead.


  About 11 o’clock Thursday the death angel again entered out city and this time bore away the spirit of an aged and highly esteemed resident of Coffey county, a beloved husband and father, a generous and charitable neighbor.  One by one the once active and fruitful branches are being taken from the tree of life and cast to the ground.

  James Milton Burns was born in Cincinnatti Ohio, Nov. 9, 1833, and died Aug. 3, 1899, aged 65 years, 8 months and 22 days.  On March 2, 1853 he was united in marriage to Miss Margaret Crookshank, of Dublin county, Ohio.  To this union was born five children, four girls and one boy, three of whom are still living and two were present for the funeral.  The children living are Mrs. Jenni Kipp, Linn, New Mexico, Mrs. Clara Flack, Ossawatomie, Kan. and Frank E. of the firm of Blue and Burns of this city.  Mr. Burns was a man of robust health until of recent years; an honest, upright, energetic and honored citizen, and has many acquaintances and old friend throughout the county who will regret to learn of his death.

  In 1863 he enlisted in Co. C. 62d Ill. Vol. Infy. in which he served with credit until the end of the war, part of the time being in charge of the post government shops.  Twenty years ago he came to Kansas locating at Emporia where he remained five years.  After farming two years west of Emporia he came to Lebo and helped his son Frank in the furniture and undertaking business until ten years ago when he opened up with a general stock of merchandise on the corner where he served his patrons faithfully until the day before his death.  Tuesday Mr. Burns complained of not feeling well and the next day consulted a doctor.  He remained at the store all day Wednesday closing at the usual time in the evening.  At about five the next morning he was taken violently ill and suffered intense agony until just before 11 o’clock when death came as a welcome relief.  All that could be done was of no avail and death resulted from heart failure.

  The funeral services were conducted at the M. E. Church Sunday afternoon at 2 o’clock, by Rev. H. C. Case, his pastor.  For more than thirty years he had been a member of the I. O. O. F. and under it’s beautiful and impressive ceremonies he was laid to rest in Lincoln cemetery in the presence of many warm friends who will join with the ENTERPRISE in extending sympathy to the bereaved wife, children and sick brother in this sad hour of affliction.