JOHN J. ANDERSON                    GRAVESTONE PHOTO                      

South Kansas Tribune, Wednesday, February 13, 1918, Pg. 4:

Date of death, Feb 6, 1918


Passing of Soldier-Pioneer


            The death messenger called for the well-known John J. Anderson Wednesday evening at his old home, 300 North Second street, after confinement at home five weeks.  He was born in Tazwell county, Illinois for score and four years, seven months and eight days ago.  At the age of 24 years he was united in marriage with Miss Amanda Hall in August 1857.  To this couple were born eight children, four of whom, W. N Adnerson and Mrs. Eliza Flanigan of Kansas City, and Mrs. Florence Truman and Mrs. Bessie Allen, survive their parents.  After the passing of his wife, Mr. and Mrs. Glen Allen were called to the old family home where every service possible was rendered.

            In the second year of the civil war Mr. Anderson answered President Lincoln’s call and enlisted in Company K, 86th Illinois Infantry at Camp Lyon, Peoria, Ill., and served three years and in time of the hardest fought engagements in the South and the command in which he served is said to have “saved the day” at Chickamaugua.

            After his discharge, with his wife, they located in Miami county, Kan., and later went to Bates county, Mo., but two years there was enough, and he returned to Kansas and was among the first to locate in what became Drum Creek township and near the now Drum Creek M. E. Chapel, in which he was very active in raising funds for its erection.  They were good neighbors, public spirited and helpful, and helped make that the prominent neighborhood.  He was also an auctioneer, and for many years held sales in our city and over the county and politically was a stalwart Democrat.

            He was a Patriarch Militant in Old Fellowship, having united with them more than fifty years ago, and since his locating in our city became one of its active workers as late as New Year’s night was at the “Home Coming”, and made a brief talk, but that was his last downtown trip.  He had filled the chairs and had lodge honors, and was ever faithful.

            The funeral Friday was largely attended.  Rev. W. P. Wharton made an appropriate address and the Grand Army conducted its ritual service; at the cemetery the Odd Fellows and Canton held their funeral services.

Contributed by Mrs. Maryann Johnson a Civil war researcher and a volunteer in the Kansas Room of the Independence Public Library, Independence, Kansas