The Olathe Mirror, Thursday, Nov. 8, 1917, Pg. 1


Obituary, Captain John Wesley


  John Wesley Crooks was born in Leavetsville, Carroll county, Ohio, on Christmas day, 1832, and departed this life at his old home, one mile north of Morse, Kansas, October 29, at 10:30 p. m., at the ripe age of 84 years, nine months and 29 days.

  He was educated in Ohio, receiving a common school and some college work.  At the age of 15 he united with the Methodist Episcopal church of which he remained a member until his death at which time he held his membership at Morse, Kansas.

  In his twenties he engaged in the public school work as a teacher, then for some time in the boot and shoe business, later coming to Kansas and teaching school and working at the carpenter trade, for some time; then he returned to Ohio, but he had been taken by the Kansas spirit and soon returned.

  At the breaking out of the Civil war he organized a company of which he became captain.  This was Co. A, 126th Ohio infantry, and he served through the war, receiving an honorable discharge.

  At the close of the war he purchased a tract of land just north of Morse where he spent the remainder of his life.

  He was married to Miss Charlott Amos on September 6, 1859, and to this union one child was born, Mrs. Charlott Edenfield of Gueda Springs, Kansas.  He again was married to Miss Katherine Harper, October 26, 1865, and to this union four children were born, J. H. Crooks, Olathe, Kan., E. L. Crooks, Wichita, Kansas, Mrs. Helen Wren and Dr. J. W. Crooks, both of Seattle, Wash.  After of death of this companion he was again married to Mrs. Rebecca Jane Glasscock, January 31, 1884, and to this union were born three children, Mrs. Harry Sterrett, Olathe, Mr. Earl Crooks, who is in training at Camp Funston with Co. A, 353 Infantry, and Mr. Dean Crooks, Olathe, Kan.

  In 1905 he retired from active farm life, moving to Olathe where he resided but a short time, the farm life having such fascinations for him he soon returned to the farm where he spent the remaining days.

  The end came quietly and peacefully on October 29, 1917.

  He was grand father to 20 grand children, two of whom are dead.

  He was a faithful member of the M. E. church for 70 years, and his neighbors always knew that “Father Crooks” would be on the right side of every moral question.

  Thus another veteran has gone to the new “Camp Ground”, gone to the Realm of Glory, where patrons live in peace.  Captain Crooks was one of those sturdy, rugged characters who builded for oncoming generation.  His acquaintance was extended and his influence great.