JOHN WORLEY                                PHOTOGRAPH IN UNIFORM                      

DIED:  June 18, 1911


   "REV JOHN WORLEY IS DEAD, Allen, Kansas       Rev. John Worley or as he was more familiarly known, Uncle John, died Sunday morning at his home, in the south part of town, (Admire) at 9 o'clock after a short illness.  Mr. Worley had been in poor health for the past 2 years since he suffered a paralytic stroke some 2 years ago.  Funeral services conducted by Rev. Patton were held at the M.P. Church, Monday at 2 o'clock after which burial was made in the cemetery southeast of town (Allen Cemetery).
     John Worley was born near Green Castle, Putnam County, Indiana, Feb 9, 1835.  He came with his parents to New Hartford, Illinois in 1843, lived there for 10 years and in 1853 moved to West Grove, Iowa. 
     He enlisted in the Federal Army in 1862 under Col. Trumble and served for 3 years.  Eight brothers served the Federal Army.  Six in one regiment and two in another.
     He was married Aug 18, 1869 to Mrs. Sarah Jane Simpson.  To this union 9 children were born.
In 1866, the deceased moved with his parents to Kansas, locating near Holton, KS.  His mother died in 1885 and his father departed this life in 1892.
     Rev Worley united with the Methodist Protestant Church in early boyhood and was ordained as a minister by the Kansas Annual Conference, Sept 14, 1872.  From time to time he spent an active life in the ministry under the care of  the Kansas Conference until about 11 years ago (1900) when through infirmity, he was forced to give up the gospel ministry he so much loved and spent his life in retirement.  Bro. Worley was faithful in the services of the Lord and the stars in his crown are many.  He departed this life June 19, 1911 going into the services of a greater minister.  At the time of his death he was 76 years, 4 mos, 9 days of age.  He leaves 2 brothers, his wife and 9 children to mourn his loss.  The bereaved family have the sincere sympathy of the entire community in their sadness and bereavement".
     Editor Robert Henderson adds to the obit:  "It might well be noted that he was not only a soldier of the cross but a soldier of his country having enlisted in the Federal Army in 1862 and served these years.  Veterans of the war were his pall bearers.  The funeral services were held in the Allen M P church conducted by the pastor Rev Patton after which the body was interred in the Allen Cemetery, Allen, Lyon Co, KS."

Biographical Information:

Notes about John Worley: 
     John was a Private in the Union Army during the Civil War with Company E  3rd Iowa Cavalry Volunteer's, commanded by Capt. Thomas C. Gilpin and Capt. Spencer.  He was 26 years old, when he enlisted on Aug 29, 1862, at Keokuk, Iowa.  He was 6' 1", had black hair, hazel eyes and a dark complexion, having been a farmer.  His service areas, listed on muster rolls indicate his enlistment at Keokuk, Iowa, serving at Davenport, Iowa, 10-31-1862, he was stationed at Benton Barracks, St Louis, MO.
     He was on leave to Davis Co, Iowa on Apr 3, 1863, this was probably the time of his first wife, Martha (Mary) Jane, death and burial.  There were no children.
     John was reported back on duty, May, June, July & Aug, 1863.
     John suffered from physical problems, ulcers of both legs from exposure and hard service, sustained while in service to his country.  In July 1863, John spent a month in the hospital with the leg ulcers, and was disabled about three months.  At that time he was transferred into the 8th Co. 1st Battalion Invalid Corps, at Pilot Knob, MO.  He also suffered other physical problems, besides his leg, he was treated for chronic Pleurisy and chronic conjunctivitis.  In July, 1864, he was treated for inflammation of the Iris.  Battles the 3rd Iowa Cavalry fought in were Shiloh, TN, Siege of Vicksburg, and Siege of Atlanta, GA.
     He was discharged at Nashville, Tennessee, June 19, 1865 per General Order 83, War Department, Adjutant General's Office, at the close of the War.  It shows a bounty paid $25. due $75.  Mustered out in accordance with General Order No 83, War Dept, May 8, 1865.