JOSEPH H. SEWELL                                  

South Kansas Tribune, Wednesday, May 29, 1907, Pg. 3:



Joseph H. Sewell, Christian, Printer, Soldier


            The announcement of the death of Joseph H. Sewell last Friday was not unexpected.  For several years himself and wife have lived with the family of their daughter, Mrs. Walter W. Yoe, and sister, Miss Della Sewell, but spent the summer on the farm with the family of their son, Frank Sewell, and it was there the death messenger came after he had taken his breakfast and had laid down on the bed to rest, at the age of 73 years, 4 months and 15 days.  For thirty years or more he had suffered from asthmatic troubles and was but a skeleton, and for some time was scarcely able to walk out, but that as last as Thursday.

            Joe H. Sewell was born in Alabama, and in the ‘40s learned the printer’s trade on the Nashville American.  When those stirring times culminated in the opening of the civil war Joe was among the first to enlist in the Confederate army, being mustered in the First Tennessee infantry, and followed the Stars and Bars into the midst of death for four years being shot down on two fields of battle, but never gave up until the Appomatox surrender.  Four years later with his young wife, he came to Kansas, taking a claim on Pumpkin creek, among the Indians, three miles from old Parker, the town which preceded Coffeyville.  He got work on the Record, the first paper in the county, and would walk home and back every day.  In the fall of 1870 he moved to Independence, where he has since resided and worked in the printing offices until too feeble to continue longer.  He was a long time member of the Presbyterian church, for many years a pillar in the church in attending and participating in its services, and it was always a pleasure for him to tell of the goodness of his Heavenly Father and of how happy he was in His service.  In fact he lived very largely by faith and although an invalid very much of the time, never had complaints or hard luck stories, but rejoiced in so many blessings.

            The funeral was held Sunday in the Presbyterian church and in the absence of the pastor, Rev. J. A. Longston, preached a short sermon.

            His wife has been very weak and confined to the bed for two weeks and is yet very feeble.  The daughters are in Portland, Ore., and it was not possible for them to return to the funeral.  The son and his wife have done all that was possible and the son-in-law, Walter W. Yoe, came in from off the road as soon as he learned of the death and arranged the funeral details.  Mrs. Sewell’s brothers, J. M. and W. P. Hall, and their wives, of Tulsa, I. T., were also present at the funeral.