LUTHER SCOTT                                GRAVESTONE PHOTO                      

The Howard Courant, Jan. 22, 1904

Died:  Jan. 14, 1904


Death of Luther Scott.

After Over a Year of Suffering, He Passed

Away, January 14, 1904.


  Luther Scott was born in Owen county, Kentucky June 21, 1842, died January 14 1904, age 61 years, 6 months, and 24 days.  When six years of age his parents moved to Johnson county Indiana, and in 1853 to Illinois.  In July 1861 he enlisted in Company H, 40th Illinois Volunteer Infantry, as a private.  In ’62 he was promoted to Sergeant in his Company and he served in that capacity until the close of the war, having veteraned in ’64, but at the time of his discharge in August ’65 he was a Brevet Lieutenant.

  He was in 26 battles besides many small engagements being with his regiment in every battle in which it was engaged from Ft. Donaldson to the close of the war.  He commanded his company at Atlanta, Georgia, leading one of the bloodiest of the charges in which more than one half of his men were slain.  He served as a Brevet Lieutenant on Sherman’s march to the sea.

  On his retirement from army life he attended the Iron City Commercial College of Pittsburg, Pa., and graduated in 1866.  He then went to the Western plains where he remained about three years having had a contract on construction work on the Union Pacific railroad.

  After his return from the West he moved to Oskaloosa, Kansas, and entered into the mercantile business.  On the 15th day of Feb, 1869, he was married to Miss Hanrietta Allen.  Of this union three children were born---one son and two daughters.  The son preceded the father to his God; the wife and two daughters mourn, with friends, his going.

  As indicating the high standing that Luther Scott held among his acquaintances we might mention the fact that he served as member of the school board in the City of Neodesha, previous to his coming to Howard.  Here, he has been mayor of our city, served as city attorney, county attorney, twice by election and once by appointment.  He also served the county in the legislature, and one term as judge pro tem of the district court.

  He was a member of a number of lodges, and was at different times honored by election to the chief offices.  He began the study of law in the office of J. A. McHenry, at Neodesha, and in due time was admitted to the bar of Wilson county.  He soon took rank as leader in his chosen profession and held the respect and esteem of his associates at the bar during the remainder of his life.

  It would be incomplete not to make mention of his religious life.  It was previous to his enlistment, early in the year 1861, that he was soundly converted to God during a Methodist revival.  He united with the church, and, so far as the writer knows, he remained a member from that time until his death.  We have not known him long but long enough to value him as a friend, a member of the church and a trustee.  He as trustee, he served the M. E. church for eighteen years, and was only released upon his urgent request following his stroke of apoplexy, over one year ago.  His services in this capacity will long be remembered.

  During the last few months life to him had been greatly intensified.  Almost invariably when I called upon him he would inquire after the church and her prosperity.  Quite often he would express a desire to help in spiritual work.  During our last revival effort his  interest was very acute and he said, after inquiry, how he would like to assist in the efforts.  We have seen his face take upon it an almost supernatural illumination when we were talking on this subject.  We lay away a noble friend and fellow in the faith, when we consign his body to the tomb.---B. M. Powell.