The Colby Tribune, Thursday, May 14, 1908, Pg. 8:

Vol. XX1, No. 6



Martin Luther Lacey.


  Martin Luther Lacey was born in Laceyville, Wyoming county, Pennsylvania, April 25, 1832, died May 7, 1908, Colby, Kansas.  At the age of 29 years he enlisted in Kalamazoo, Michigan, in the Third Regiment Michigan Cavalry, as corporal for three years.  He became Sargeant Major July 8, 1862, was promoted to Second Lieutenant of Company E, November 1, 1862, was promoted to First Lieutenant of Company H, October 1, 1863, and was promoted to Captain, November 10, 1864.  He resigned and was honorably discharged January 23, 1865.  In 1885 he came with his family to Kansas, moving onto the homestead which he had previously located and which is still known as the Lacey farm, northwest of Colby.  He was twice married.  By the first marriage he had three children, a son in Denver, a daughter in Topeka, and a daughter in Wisconsin.  Three children were born to the second marriage, one daughter who died in youth, and two sons who are at home.  He leaves a widow, and these children besides relatives and friends.  He was the first Probate Judge of Thomas county, holding office two terms.  He was an honored member of the Masonic Fraternity and G. A. R., both of which united in conducting the funeral.

  “Judge” Lacey, as he was familiarly known, was one of the men prominent in the history of this county.  He had the honor of marrying the first couple joined after the organization of Thomas county.  He held various offices of trust, always with honor, and to the very last week of his life never failed to have an active interest in all matters pertaining to the welfare of the county and her citizens.  He was one of the best posted men in the county and always held an opinion on every question.  He was generous and big hearted, and his services were never sought in times of need without cheerful response.

  The last illness of Judge Lacey was of about ten day’s duration.  He slept peacefully away at  3 o’clock Thursday morning at his home in this city.

  Funeral services were conducted from the M. E. church by Rev. Heitmeyer Friday afternoon.  The Masonic fraternity and Grand Army members participated.  Interment was made in Beulah cemetery.

  The bereaved wife and children have the deep sympathy of many friends in this sad hour.