NATHANIEL D. WICKHAM               GRAVESTONE PHOTO                      

The Evening Kansan-Republican, Pg. 1, Tuesday, Aug. 29, 1905

Died:  Aug. 24, 1905







The Visit to his Old Michigan Home

Was the First He Had Made in

Thirty Years.



  The circumstances attending the drowning of N. D. Wickham, as they have been received by the friends here, are very sad.  Mr. Wickham was drowned in full view of his wife and other relatives while out in a boat with his brother-in-law, C. B. Bullis, on a small lake in Livingstone county, Michigan.  It was 12:30 o’clock last Thursday when Mr. Bullis and Mr. Wickham started out in a boat to fish.  They had gone only a short distance from the boat house at which Mrs. Wickham and other relatives were standing when in some unknown way the boat was upset and both were thrown into the water.  Mr. Bullis caught hold of the side of the boat and tried to catch hold of Mr. Wickham but failed, the body disappearing twice, staying below the second time.  The people ashore called to Mr. Bullis to hold the boat and he did so and was pulled to the shore holding to the boat by his brother, who reached him none too soon, as he was nearly exhausted.  He was nearly distracted by the awful accident and distracted by the awful accident and the death of his brother-in-law.  Mr. Wickham’s body was found about three hours after the drowning.  The accident took place not far from Mr. Wickham’s former home, and this was the first visit Mr. Wickham had made to the place after leaving it more than thirty years ago.  Though he had lived there many years, his birth place was in Lykins township, Crawford county, Ohio, the date being January 26, 1841.  There he lived with his parents, his brothers and sisters until 1849, when he moved to Livingston county, Michigan.  Their residence there covered a period of six years after which they moved to Clinton county, Michigan, but without the mother, she having died in 1849.  Mr. Wickham enlisted in August 1861, in Company C, Fifth Infantry, Michigan Volunteer Infantry, for a term of three years.  He served with valor throughout his enlistment, took part in thirteen severe battles, but escaped injury.  He was promoted to second lieutenant during his service.  He was at the battle of Fair Oaks, where his brother C. B. Wickham was killed. 

  After the war he lived with his sister, Mrs. M. A. Tyler, in Shiawasssee county, Michigan, for a couple of years afterwards going to Wisconsin where he worked in the lumber district for fifteen months and then returned to his sister’s for a winter and then back to Livingston county.  In 1869 he came to Kansas and for three years after that time he herded cattle, covering in his work nearly all parts of central, western, and northern Kansas and making his headquarters in Topeka.  He homesteaded a claim in Harvey county in 1872, settling on the farm in Highland township that has ever since been his home.  In November of ’72 he went back to Livingston county and there married Miss Francis E. Bullis, who survives him.  Three children blessed the union, Jessie, Cora, and James, all of them living at the parental home.  The only surviving member of the family to which he belonged are his brother, J. W. Wickham of Mound City, Kansas and his sister Mrs. M. A. Tyler of Newton, though he had four brothers and six sisters.  His father died in 1881.

  Mr. Wickham was a type of the rugged pioneers that settled this western country and made the way for civilization.  During all the years of his residence in Harvey county, and he has been identified with it ever since it organization, he has counted one of it’s sturdiest citizens and has always been held in the highest esteem.  He was known all over the county and the high regard in which he was held was evidenced by the large attendance at the funeral services Sunday afternoon, when the church was filled with his neighbors and other friends