OLIVER ROSEBUSH                         GRAVESTONE PHOTO         

The Erie Record, Friday, March 22, 1912, Pg. 1

Vol. XXXVI, No. 12




He Was One of the Heroes of the

Vicksburg Siege.

  Oliver Rosebush, who died at his home in this city last Friday night, was one of Erie’s oldest and most highly respected citizens.  He had resided with his wife in this town ever since 1868 and during all these years he has always stood for everything that would in any way better Erie.  His family, a wife and three children, are a living monument to the late Oliver Rosebush.  Mrs. Rosebush is one of the two’s very best women and she made an ideal wife and a loving mother.  The only daughter Mrs. Frank H. Greene, is living at Los Angeles, California, and she is the wife of one of the best civil engineers in the west, her husband being a former Neosho county boy.  The two sons of the late Oliver Rosebush, Ed. L. Rosebush and Earl A. Rosebush, are two of the best and most capable men ever turned out of Erie.  Ed Rosebush is president of a thriving and prosperous bank at Tecumseh, Oklahoma, and Earl Rosebush is western manager for the Union Iron Works, with headquarters at Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.  Of course, it was much easier for Oliver Rosebush, to die in peace with the knowledge that his family has been successful in every sense of the word.

  Oliver Rosebush was born in New Hampshire in 1832.  He enlisted in the army serving in the capacity of an engineer of a gunboat during practically all the war.  He held the distinction of being in Vicksburg at the time the siege was started.  One night he escaped from Vicksburg on a floating raft and when the fleet came down the river and ran the blockade at Vicksburg.  Oliver Rosebush was the engineer of one of the gunboats that was in the very front of the fleet.

  The deceased was married in 1867 at Evansville, Ind., to Miss Elizabeth Lodge, and in 1868.  Mr. and Mrs. Rosebush, moved to Erie where they have resided ever since.  Mr. Rosebush was one of Erie’s first blacksmith’s but during the past twenty years he has been living in retirement from active work.  During the past few years his health has been extremely bad and his death came as no surprise.

  Funeral services were held Sunday at the M. E. church in this city with Rev. Nelson King of the Presbyterian church in charge, and burial was made in the Erie cemetery.