SAMUEL JACKSON                       GRAVESTONE PHOTO                      

Independence Daily Reporter, Monday, April 2, 1917, Pg. 1:



Gallant Old Soldier and Pioneer Called to His Long Rest


With Sherman on March to Sea

Came to Kansas in ’76, Settling on Farm—Later Came to City


            Samuel Jackson died at 5:45 o’clock last evening at the home of his daughter, Mrs. J. C. Miner, at 1106 West Laurel street, aged 88 years, 1 month and 24 days.  His death was due to the disabilities of old age.  Up to within the last three months he seemed in his usual good health and was bedfast only about two weeks.

            Mr. Jackson, together with his family, left Tipton county, Indiana, during the fall of 1876 and came by wagon to Kansas, arriving near Independence on the Wm. Hayes farm, north of this city on the Verdigris rive in November of 1876, where he resided for a number of years, later moving southwest of Independence into the Pleasant Valley district.  He remained on the farm for several years and then moved to this city, purchasing the property where Mr. and Mrs. Minor now reside.  He had made his home with his daughter since the death of his wife, April 15, 1900.  He was well known to practically everyone in this city, especially to the old soldiers, he at one time being a member of G. A. R. McPherson Post No. 4, Department of Kansas, but owing to feeble health he dropped from the rolls.

A Native of Indiana

            He was the son of Thomas and Nancy Brown Jackson, and was born Feb. 8, 1829, in Wayne county, Indiana.  He was united to Mary Jack in Wayne county, Indiana on March 8, 1849, from which union six children were born, three of whom are living:  a daughter, Lavina, and two sons, Reese and McClellan Jackson.  Reese resides at Oak Valley, Kansas and McClellan in this city.  All were present at the bedside at the time of his death.

            Mr. Jackson had lived to see sixteen grandchildren, fourteen great-grandchildren and one great-great-grandchild, all of whom are living.  He celebrated his golden wedding March 8, 1899, one year prior to the death of his wife.

            During the farm life he endured the hardships of the early pioneers of Kansas.

Fine Record as a Soldier

            Mr. Jackson enlisted from Tipton county, Indiana, to serve one year or more during the war, and was mustered into the United States service at Indiananpolis, Ind., Oct. 28, 1861, as a private unassigned, 39th Regiment Indiana Volunteer infantry (8th Regiment Cavalry), Colonel Thomas J. Harrison commanding.  This regiment was organized as infantry and served as such at Shiloh, Pittsburgh Land, and Stone River or Murfreesboro, Tenn., but in April, 1863, the men mounted and served as mounted infantry until October, 1863, when the command was officially designated at the 8th Regiment Indiana Volunteer Cavalry.  It was organized at Indianapolis on Aug. 29, 1861, and was ordered immediately to Kentucky, where it joined Buell’s army and marched to Shiloh.  At the battle of Stone River, Tenn., it fought with honorable distinction under command of Lieutenant Colonel Jones, sustaining a loss of 30 killed, 119 wounded and 231 captured or missing.

With Sherman to the Sea

            In February, 1864, the regiment re-enlisted as a veteran organization, and after a furlough home, joined Gen. Sherman’s army in July 1864, in time to take an active part in the cavalry operations and raids around Atlanta, Ga.  It accompanied Gen. Sherman on his famous March to the Sea, and distinguished itself in the battle of Averasboro, in the North Carolina campaign, losing 14 killed and 59 wounded, the heaviest of any regiment, cavalry or infantry, in that battle.  The regiment was first assigned to Willich’s Brigade, Johnson’s division, 14th Corps, Army of the Cumberland, later the First Brigade, Kilpatrick'’ Cavalry division, and during its service bore a gallant part in the following engagements:  Shiloh, Stone River, Manchester, Shelbyville, Middleton and Winchester, Tenn.; Chickamauga, Fiarburn, Flint River, Jonesboro, Atlanta campaign, Cambellton, Ga., Pulaski, Tenn., Waynesboro, Louisville, and Sherman’s March to the Sea, Ga., Rockingham, Fayetteville, Averasboro, Mount Olive, Owensburg, N. C., and a number of minor engagements.  The regiment was also present at the battles of Liberty Gap, Chattanooga, Lovejoy Station, Reynold’s farm, Milledgeville, Savannah, Ga., Bentonville, Raleight and Morrisville, N. C.

Mustered Out in 1865

            Samuel Jackson contracted rheumatism in the winter of 1865 and was not able to perform active service, so he was sent home and given an honorable discharge at Indianapolis on March 17, 1865, by reason of a surgeon’s certificate of disability.  He was faithful in the discharge of his duty while with his command and rendered meritorious service to his country.  His brothers, William, Caleb and Thomas, served in the Civil war.  His wife’s brother, Washington Jack, also served in the Civil war; also his half-brothers, William and Adam Jackson.

Buried Beside Wife

            He was a kind and loving father and was well liked by all who knew him.  While he was not a member of any church, in his younger days he always attended church and was devout in his worship.  During his later years he did not attend any church.

            The funeral will be held Tuesday afternoon at 2:30 o’clock from the residence of his daughter, Mrs. J. C. Miner, 1106 West Laurel street, this city.  Burial will be in Mt. Hope cemetery where he will be laid to rest by the side of his wife.


South Kansas Tribune, Wednesday, April 4, 1917, Pg. 4:


Death of Soldier Pioneer


            The illness of Samuel Jackson terminated in death Sunday at the home of his daughter, Mrs. J. C. Miner, this city, at the age of 88 years.  He was an Indianian, enlisted and served in the Thirty-ninth Volunteers and in 1863 was re-enlisted in the Eighth Cavalry serving to the close of the war in many of the greatest battles, from Shiloh to the grand review at Washington.  He located in this county where he resided until infirmities compelled him to come to his daughter’s for care, who looked after him until the end.  His daughter, Mrs. Levina, and sons McClelland of this city, and Reese of Oak Valley survive him.

Contributed by Mrs. Maryann Johnson a Civil war researcher and a volunteer in the Kansas Room of the Independence Public Library, Independence, Kansas