W. A. MCCULLEY                                

South Kansas Tribune, Wednesday, January 23, 1895, Pg. 2:


Death of Dr. W. A. McCulley


            The serious illness of Dr. McCulley, which we noted last issue, terminated fatally on last night, Jan. 22d, about 10 o’clock.  This death removes one of the pioneers, and a gentleman who has been so prominently identified with our city that its history could not be written without referring to him.  He came to us in 1871 in the prime of manhood and soon took his rank as the leading surgeon and physician of this section.  He was social, genial and public spirited, but often erratic, and into whatever movement he engaged, he stirred things up.  He was a zealous worker for Independence, and his time, bests judgment and his cash when needed was given to promote its welfare.  In his professional practice he knew neither rich or poor, good pay or bad, and we have known him to care for the lowliest with apparently greater zeal than good pay patients and often supplying delicacies as well as medicines.  He was jealous of his professional standing and kept up with the latest advance in professional remedies, often resorting to new and untried remedies in the west, when his associates would be too timid.  At one time he organized and carried forward, almost at his own expense, a medical college in this city.

            When the great visitation of Yellow Fever came to the South, and physicians as well as the masses stood appalled, and fled from its contagion, Dr. W. A. McCulley actuated by the highest and best motives telegraphed to Memphis offering his services freely.  Leaving the most lucrative practice in our city and bidding good bye to his dear ones, he went direct into that pest city and was assigned to one of its worst wards, where death almost held sway.  The he stayed, night and day, taking little rest, and in his practice he was eminently successful.  When the plague had stayed, and he was ready to return to his loved one, the Red Cross Association decorated him with its honors and silver medals, and in addition presented him with a fine gold watch, as mementos of their appreciation of his great service to humanity.  In the campaign for the adoption of prohibition in Kansas, he was one of its early advocates and made many effective speeches in its behalf.  He was born in 1837, and in 1862 graduated from Cincinnati Medical College, and at once entered the service of his country as Assistant Surgeon, and the following years, was promoted to Surgeon of the 65th Ohio.  Later he was in charge of the yellow fever hospital or the Dry Tortugas, and acquitted himself with credit.  He has been a member of the Pension Board of Examiners many years, and he has always had a fellow feeling for and sympathy with the boys of ’61, who were sick and disabled, and none will miss him more that those gray haired veterans.  The funeral will take place at 2 o’clock on Thursday, in charge of the Masonic fraternity, attended by McPherson Post.

William G. Cutler's History of the State of Kansas

W. A. McCULLY, M. D., was born at Cincinnati, Ohio, November 18, 1837. Graduated from the Ohio Medical College in March, 1862. In August, 1862, he was appointed Assistant Surgeon of the Sixty-fifth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and was promoted to the position of Surgeon of Volunteers in the fall of 1863, continuing in the service till the spring of 1866. After leaving the army he located at Richmond, Ind., remaining there one year, then in Missouri four years prior to removal to Kansas. In October, 1871, he located at Independence, and has had a large and lucrative practice here since that time. He is considerably interested in the cattle business, having become identified with the stock interests of southern Kansas about five years ago. The Doctor is president of the Montgomery County Medical Society, and is a member of the State Association. He is a prominent member of the A. F. & A. M. and G. A. R. While serving as Surgeon in the army he treated the yellow fever with eminent success at Key West, Fla., in 1864, being Health Officer of the United States Army at that point in 1864 and 1865. The disease attacked him but he recovered, and was able to render valuable service during the time that the epidemic raged there. In 1878 the Doctor volunteered his services to the disease stricken people of Memphis and contributed largely towards their amelioration, freely giving his services without compensation. His generous and humane conduct deserves national commendation. The Doctor was married at Columbus, Ohio, in August, 1863, to Isabella Weir, a native of that place. They have two children, Annie Laura and Daisy May.


Contributed by Mrs. Maryann Johnson a Civil war researcher and a volunteer in the Kansas Room of the Independence Public Library, Independence, Kansas.