Fredonia Daily Herald, Monday, March 30, 1908, Pg. 1

Vol. V, No. 76



  Yesterday afternoon, Sunday, March 28, 1908, about 2 o’clock, Mr. and Mrs. W. H. Williamson, who had been visiting in this vicinity since Friday, were returning to their home near Altoona, accompanied by their granddaughter, Mrs. Roy J. Clark and her two children, when about one and one-half miles east of Fredonia the horse they were driving to a two-seated carriage became frightened, jumped and turned the carriage over, throwing the occupants out.  Mrs. Williamson and Mrs. Clark sustained only slight injuries, but not so Mr. Williamson.  When a short distance from Fredonia, his hands becoming cold, he had tied the lines around his body and when the horse became loose from the carriage the bridle bit broke into, letting the lines slip back until the bridle rings caught in the rings of the harness.  Mr. Williamson had no chance to hold the horse and was dragged face down over the rough, rocky ground for about one-half mile, his clothing all torn and his face, hands and knees being terribly lacerated.  His wife and a Mr. Jones were the first to arrive at his side, but found him unconscious and he only lived for a brief moment.  The news was immediately telephoned to town and R. T. Minton, and wife, Dr. Duncan and Mrs. Lizzie Skaggs drove to the scene as soon as possible, but found he had “passed beyond.”  The body was brought to the home of his daughter, Mrs. Lizzie Skaggs.

  Funeral notice late.


Fredonia Daily Herald, Tuesday, March 31, 1908, Pg. 1

Vol. V, No. 77



  W. H. Williamson, a native of Virginia, lived at the old home of his nativity until 18 years of age when he went to Indiana to visit an uncle.  After he had been in that State a year and a half, he was persuaded by his relative to drive a team for him into the unexplored Kansas.  The result of this trip was his settlement, as above referred to.

  In 1865 he sold his Franklin county interests and purchased a claim in Wilson county upon which he lived until about eight years ago he moved to Logan county where he resided for two years, returning to his farm near Altoona where he has since lived.  He was as well known as intercourse with men in affairs of life as will make one, and his achievements were confined to the building of an untarnished reputation in the improvements of a valuable home.  There were no “ups and downs” in Kansas of which he had not tasted of and the joys and sorrows in life there have been many.

  The progress of the Civil war was not conducted without the modest aid of Mr. Williamson.  He enlisted in August 1862 in company B, 12th Kansas Infantry, and served 3 years.  His regiment was in the western department of the Union army and was engaged chiefly in guard and patrol duty.  The few small skirmishes in which he took a part were confined to Kansas territory.  The frontier at this time was full of bush-whackers, rebels, and guerrillas, and it was a frequent occurrence to have to push them back from civilization, thus bringing on a skirmish, or a “little push.”  Mr. Williamson was detailed to hospital duty after a period o field service and he served as a nurse until his promotion as a ward master of the institution.  He was doing duty in the latter capacity when he was discharged in 1865.  Returning home to his family Mr. Williamson soon sold his farm, sought once more the atmosphere of the frontier, Wilson county.  In 1872 he lost his first wife, whom he had married in 1858.  She was Rebecca Fellows, a native of Ohio.  By her death four children were orphaned, namely—Ella L., wife of James E, Clark, Emma, (deceased), wife of George Clemmens, Roa, wife of E. H. Russell and Lizzie, wife of A. P. Skaggs, (deceased).  In 1878 Mr. Williamson married the second time, his wife being Miss Anna Morrow, who died in 1882, leaving three children, namely:--Minnie, wife of Ed. Dixon, Gertie, wife of R. T. Minton and Miss Myrtle, of Fredonia.  January the 5th, 1900, Mr. Williamson again married, his wife being Mrs. Nancy J. King.  She was a resident of the State of Illinois, being born in Sangamon county.

  This is a great blow to the community in general for “Grandpa” Williamson, as he was familiarly called, was loved by all who knew him.  He was a kind and considerate husband, an affectionate and indulgent father and an honorable and upright neighbor.

  The funeral was conducted at the home of Mrs. A. P. Skaggs this afternoon at 3:45 by the Rev. H. A. Brundidge of Altoona assisted by Rev. J. R. McFadden of this city.  The G. A. R. post of this city of which he was a member had charge of the funeral and interment was made in the Fredonia cemetery.