WILLIAM WILSON                      GRAVESTONE PHOTO                      

Neodesha Daily Sun, Thursday, June 13, 1907, Pg. 1

Vol. VIII, No. 187





  William Wilson, aged 81 years, 8 months and 19 days, died at his home, corner Sixth and Indiana, this city, this morning at 4 o’clock, of old age and general debility.

  The funeral will be held at the Methodist church tomorrow at 2 o’clock p. m., conducted by Rev. B. M. Powell.  Interment in Neodesha cemetery.

  William Wilson was a native of England, coming to America with his parents when he was seven years of age ad settling in Ohio, Richland county.  Here on March 4, 1852, he was married to Miss Emma Watkinson, who was also a native of England.

  They remained in Ohio until twelve children had been born to them, one dying in infancy.  In 1878 Mr. and Mrs. Wilson and their children came to Kansas and settled on a farm near Mound Valley.  Six years later they came to Wilson county and bought a farm just east of Neodesha.  Four years ago, the children all having married, Mr. and Mrs. Wilson sold the farm and moved to Neodesha, owing and occupying the house where he died.

  Mr. Wilson served all through the Civil war in the 110th Ohio infantry and injured his health so that he was never afterward very robust.  I religion he was originally a Methodist but for more than forty years was a member of the Church of God.

  Ten of the eleven children who lived to grow up are still living and all but one, A. H. Wilson, were present during his last illness, and all are residents of Neodesha and vicinity but three.  The children are as follows:  Mrs. Hattie Leffingwell, Mrs. Mattie Carter, Arthur Wilson, Luther Wilson and Howard Wilson, all of Neodesha; J. C. Wilson, of Sterling, Kansas; Mrs. J. W. White of Neodesha, T; and A. H. Wilson, of Springfield, Mo.  R. B. Wilson another son, was killed here a few years ago in an accident in the gas field.

  Mr. Wilson leaves also two aged brothers.  One of them, George Wilson, of Milford, Iowa, was here when he died.  The other one, John Wilson of Hamilton, Mont., was here about three years ago.

  Mr. Wilson was in every way a good man and a good citizen.  He was a quiet unassuming man, doing what seemed to him the right thing to do, having no regrets for the past nor fears for the future.  His life was one to full measure—he reared a large family, provided for them well and died at a ripe old age surrounded by his children and grand children.