Death of P. S. Patton.
On Sunday last P. S. Patton, one of Burlington's oldest citizens, died of old age. For the past few years he has been in failing health, and several times it was thought he could not live and his family was gathered here to be with him hi his closing days. When Mr. Patton was able to be around he was a conspicuous figure on our streets, and everybody always had something kind and pleasant to say to him. For years and years he was deprived of his sight, yet he always kept well posted upon the events of the day and seemed to be in close touch with the people. He was liberal in his views, kind in his manner and yet firm when he took a position. Politically he was a Republican, yet ye always treated those who did not agree with him with great consideration. He was a member of Burlington lodge No. 66, A. F. & A. M., and this organization conducted his funeral, an eulogy being pronounced by his personal friend, Judge C. B. Graves, of Emporia, who was always admired by him. Following is a history of Mr. Patton as furnished by his family: Peter S. Patton was born in Butler county, Ohio, in 1818, and at the age of 12 years his father moved to Cass county, Indiana, and remained there seven years. In 1837 he returned to Ohio and remained there until 1855; moved to Iowa and located in Fairfield, Jefferson county, and lived there until 1860, when he moved to Coffey County, Kansas. Mr. Patton was married in 1842 in Butler county, Ohio, to Miss Anna M. Oglesby, a native of that State. They had four children by that marriage--Cyntha, Melissa J., Joseph W., and William B. Mr. Patton lost his wife in the spring of 1854, and was married again the same year in Butler county, Ohio, to Mrs. Carolina Brown. Mrs. Brown had three children Charles O., Mary Anna, and Rachael Brown. Mr. Patton had two sons by this marriage--Samuel D., and Isaac H. Mr. Patton was a carriage maker in the early part of his life and was engaged in merchandising from 1853 to 1857, and from 1860 to 1866 was engaged in farming in this county. In 1866 he was elected register of deeds of this county and moved to Burlington and held that office two years. He was next appointed postmaster of this city and held that position for 10 years, when he entered the hotel business and ran the Patton house until about 10 years ago. In 1860 he lost his sight and has been blind since. A number of the family were present from abroad.
Mrs. E. F. Puffer has returned from Kansas City.
Mrs. C. O. Caldwell has gone to Texas to spend the summer.
C. H. Race and daughter arrived here on Monday evening from Chicago.
Miss Docia Dodd, of Waverly, spent a day or so in town the first of the week.
One of the most enjoyable parties given in our city in a long time was the fortieth wedding anniversary of Dr. and Mrs. Wm. Manson, on Friday evening last at their home in sourth Burlington. Dr. and Mrs. Manson have lived in Burlington all their married life, sharing the ups and downs of pioneer days. They have seen Burlington grow from a place of two or three houses to a handsome little city of over 3,000 people. Many valuable presents were received. Tea was served at seven o'clock after which the evening was spent in playing high-five and having a good time.
The board of directors of the Federated Clubs of Burlington met with Mrs. A. T. Neyhart on Wednesday, May 25. The report of the delegates to the State Federation at Ottawa was heard and quite an amount of unfurnished business was disposed of. The first public meeting of the Federation will be held Monday, June 6. All members of the Federation are priviledged to invite three guests. Place of meeting announced later. The next meeting of the board of directors will be June 8, with Mrs. S. M. Lane at 2:30 o'clock.
The INDEPENDENT has almost been flooded with poetry(?) since the war commenced. We have yet been unable to find room for it. Our readers are in a state of war fever, and to inflict them with this kind of reading they might turn loose on us. Please spare us from any more poetry. While we truly admire all the authors of such writings, and know that there is merit in them, we cannot always impress our readers with such matter.
At last it has come. It was a long time on the road, but it is here--a boon to mankind. Some genius claims to have discovered a preparation which is guaranteed to keep flies off of cows, horses and other animals. This will be a blessing to the animals if it is used with success, of course, but the full merit of it can only be appreciated by the man who had been obliged to milk cows and dodge the swish of a heavy tail during fly time.
Are you planning to go to the Ottawa Chautauqua Assembly this year? They have a splendid program prepared, and you can't fail to enjoy your stay in that delightful park by the river side. If you don't get the Assemble Herald apply to the secretary. Ottawa. The Herald contains full particulars in regard to the program and expenses.
Wheat looks fine in this vicinity.
Mr. Browning is plastering his house.
E. V. McCormick is having his house repaired.
Miss Saueressig is teaching quite a large class in music.
Miss Inez Ewing, who has been staying at Burlington for some time, is at home for a few days.
Dr. Hood writes back from Colorado that he is dissatisfied and expects to return to Ottumwa soon.
The ladies of the M. E. church will give an ice cream supper at the church in Ottumwa to-morrow evening.
The commencement exercises of the common school graduates of near Ottumwa was held in the school house here on Saturday evening last. All the graduates did well and the program was interesting throughout.
The following is a list of unclaimed letters at the postoffice in Burlington, Kansas, on the 25th day of May, 1898. To obtain any of these the applicant must call for "advertised letters."
Mrs. Annie Earnheart,Alice Kakes,
Mrs. Maggie Wood,Mrs. J. A. Thompson
Mr. E. J. Johnson,Mrs. J. A. Chilton,
Mr. J. L. Carson.
O. P. Mauck, P. M.