Augusta Kathryn Townsend Bark
Sutherland Courier, Sutherland, Iowa, July 1, 1915

Mrs. T. B. Bark Answers Grim Reaper's Dreaded Summons Tuesday Morning

Augusta Townsend Bark, the daughter of Augustus C. and Catherine
[Hoffman] Townsend, was born in Lake County, Illinois [November 13, 1861]
and died at her home in Sutherland, Iowa June 29, 1915.

When a child, she moved with her parents to Dade County, Missouri and
some years later to Nemaha County, Nebraska.  Two year later Mr. Townsend
loaded his family and household goods into emigrant wagons and went to
Laramie, Wyoming taking with him 125 head of short-horn cattle, supposing
that at Laramie he could probably dispose of them but in this he was
mistaken.  They would not buy because they feared that they would not do
well turned out as range cattle.  It was the year of the Custer Massacre,
the Indians were very troublesome and failing to dispose of his cattle,
Mr. Townsend turned back with his teams and cattle, settling in Decatur
County, Kansas.  On this long trip to Laramie and back Augusta, about ten
years of age, drove a team and her brother, George, a little younger,
rode a pony and helped with the cattle.  Soon after reaching Decatur
County, the mother died leaving five children, Augusta, George, Charles,
William and Martha.  Augusta was the "little mother" of the family until
the death of her father, which occurred two years later, Augusta and
George caring for their father during his illness as best they could in
that frontier country.  After his death the family was scattered, Augusta
going to relatives in Lake County, Illinois, where she remained until
1888 when she came to Sutherland.

Augusta was joined in marriage to T. B. Bark and so became the mother of
Ethel, the little daughter of  Mr. Bark by a former marriage.  Ethel, now
Mrs. John Williams of Chicago, came home to be of what assistance she
cold in the last sad weeks of her mother's life. On July 20, 1906 there
came into the Bark home a baby daughter, Kathryn Ada, the pride and joy
of the family.

The early and unusual experiences of Mrs. Bark when a child in a frontier
country, laid the foundation of a really strong character.  She had vivid
memories of a sweet, gentle mother and a devoted father and the bitter
sorrow of being separated from her little family of brothers and sister
made her heart very tender toward all children.  Two of these children
only, survive her, and were with her when she passed out of this life;
the sister, Mattie, has shared the home of Mr. and Mrs. Bark for twenty
years, in all ways a member of the family and a tower of strength to Mrs.
Bark to whom she was so devoted.  Mrs. Bark was a woman of strong
convictions.  When she believed she was in the right nothing could swerve
her opinion.  A woman of innate refinement, immaculate in personal
habits, she was the presiding genius of an ideal home.  Her artistic
tastes and love of beauty found expression in that home and in her daily

Mrs. Bark was an enthusiastic club woman.  It was through her initiative,
when president of the Monday club that sixteen fine pictures were placed
in our schools.  She was also an earnest member of the
O.E.S. and W.R.C., having held the highest offices they had to give.

The writer of this little tribute found in her an ideal friend.  For many
years she was my companion in the little journeys made each year.  Many
years my junior, she was a most interesting, lovable friend, always
generous with her time, strength and money.  She was reticent;  never
speaking of the kind things she did, in such a kindly helpful way.  Her
death has left a void in my life that cannot be filled as it has in the
home in which she was so truly beloved.  All that money and skill could
do, was done by her husband and friends but she obeyed the call of a
Higher Power and is at rest.  We do not know what Death is but we believe
with the poet:  "That what life is for the living, So death is for the

A quiet funeral service was held on the beautiful lawn at the Bark home
Wednesday afternoon, June 30th., Rev. C. A. Richards officiating in his
usual impressive manner.  Interment was made in the Waterman Cemetery.

     "Passing out of the shadow
             into a purer light,
      Stepping behind the curtain
             Getting a clearer sight,
      Passing out of the shadow
             Into eternal day----
      Why to they call this dying,
            This sweet going away."
                              ---Roma W. Woods

Submitted by:  Diana Hart

Note:  Research and documentation indicate some inaccuracies in regard to
timing for the trip west.  They left Dade County, MO after July 7, 1875
and only spent the winter of 1875/76 in Nebraska.