OBERLIN HERALD -26 February 1914 page 1:

JAMES MATTHEW CHILSON  {should be James Madison Chilson}

Was born in DeKalb county, Indiana, January 22, 1845 and died at his home in Oberlin February 22, 1914, aged 69 years and one month.

At the age of 18 years he enlisted in the 129th Indiana Infantry and served until the close of the war making a willing and efficient soldier.
Returning from the army he was married to Miss Bell Chrisman, who died two years later leaving him a little son to care for.

He was married the second time to Miss Elizabeth Hudson.  To this union were born seven children, one son {daughter} dying in infancy, two daughters, Mrs.Fremont Chapin and Mrs. Bessie Magner, and four sons, Elbert, Ross, Roy and Earl all living in this vicinity.

He lived for many years in Iowa, coming to this county from that state in 1885 settling on a farm in Logan township where he lived up to seven years ago when he moved to this city where he has since resided.  He was a member of the Baptist church and was regular in his attendance on the means of grace.  He was especially interested in the Sabbath school and when able was always in his place in the old people's Bible class taking a great interest in the lessons.  For the last week he had been attending the revival meetings held at the Methodist church and on Saturday evening as the writer  passed from the church he was kindly greeted by him and then noted that his eye was unusually bright and he seemed somewhat excited.  But we little thought as we greeted him that it would be the last time on earth that we should look upon his kindly face in this life.  A few moments later he with his wife started home and when a few rods from the church he was stricken with apoplexy and fell to the sidewalk.  He was taken into the home of Ara S. Steele, where a physician was called, but it was soon seen that he was seriously ill and a wheelchair was procured and he was taken home.  He gradually grew worse until Sunday at 5:30 p.m. he passed away.
Mr. Chilson was one of the kindest of men, he loved little children and it was no uncommon sight to see him pass our office holding the hand of some little tot who was evidently telling him some of her hopes and joys and knew that in him she had a sympathetic listener.  He was a man of strong  conviction, was quick to resent an insult, sometimes difficulties grew out of his quick temperment, but after it was over he was ever ready to ask forgiveness and in every way he tried to make amends for anything he had done that he considered wrong.
He had for many years been one of the prominent members of the G.A.R.{Grand Army of the Republic}.  The funeral was conducted by this society from the M.E. church on Tuesday, Feb.24, 1914;  funeral sermon by Reverend Henry of the Christian church.
Thus passes to the great beyond one of our number who was widely known, universally respected and loved by his entire community.  He was a kind and indulgent husband and father, a true friend, an accomodating neighbor, a noble Christian man.  The writer feels that he has lost a personal friend whose kindly greeting will be sadly missed as we go along the journey of life.
Goodbye Brother Chilson, may you rest in peace and be ready to enjoy that life that comes to those who believe in God and resurrection in that happy day where no tears are shed but where eternal sunlight ever shines."

submitted by Karen Adams   krajda@aol.com