The name of
the school is Plum Creek. Plum Creek is
located 18 miles east of Grinnell. The
school was formed April 20, 1887. It was disorganized March 1, 1947.
Gladys Benson Saindon was one of the students that went to school at
Plum Creek with her sister and brothers around 1913. A small boy mare named Topsy carried them to
school every year because it was too far to walk. Later they started riding horses
instead. Their dad would bring Topsy
hitched to a buggy up to the house and he would bundle the kids in blankets
making sure to tuck them in. They would
tie the lines in a knot, place them over the dashboard of the buggy and start
Topsy on their way. Topsy would stop at
the schoolhouse door and the teacher would help them out of the buggy.
took attendance of white and black females and males. There were no black students at all. The teachers would list the names of students
crippled and their disabilities. The
school library had 3 volumes in it. (Gove Co. Register of Deeds)