A Century of Greenwood County, KS History - Eureka Herald, 1968


The eastbound Frisco passenger train was thrown from the track on New Year's Day, three miles east of Severy. The postoffice was now located in the Leedy building. The Kansas City chief of police had notified the officials of southern Kansas that he was to loose 2,000 tramps and they would all head south. One hundred buildings were under contract to be built in Eureka during the year.

Eureka became a city of second class in March, 1885. The new Methodist Church at Climax was dedicated on April 19. The charter had been obtained from the state for the erection of the academy. The newspaper, Toronto Register, made its first appearance on May 1. The new Methodist church at Severy was dedicated May 17.

The Opera House was to be lighted with 32 lights, 20 of these on stage. The city had been visited by both the redskins and gypsies. The First Presbyterian Church of Reece was organized in June. The drum corps had received its new fifes and drums. The population of Wichita was 16,019. The Madison Bank commenced business on July 8. J.P. Silsby sold the Herald to W.S. Martin. About a month later, in September, Marlin sold it to Z. Harlan.

Eureka had 37 stone and brick buildings on Main street. there were 70,000 cattle grazing upon the prairies. One citizen was the proud possessor of the gold medal awarded him at the World's Fair in New Orleans for the best corn grown in the world. Reece was like a four-year-old steer, just about to get its growth.

Children in the county were to purchase a bell for the academy. The bell was to cost about 20 cents per pound so each child contributing a dime would own half a pound of the bell. A schoolhouse was being erected in Reece at a cost of nearly $4000. The Wesley Chapel Methodist Church in Pleasant Grove township was dedicated November 15. It cost $1800. The Burlington, Eureka and Beaumont railroad was chartered in November. The population of the county was 15,428.


Eureka was ablaze with electricity, the system known as the Weston Electric Light System was furnished by the U.S. Electric Light Co. of New York. The plant cost $3000. Electricity was turned on for the first time December 24, 1885. Lights were suspended over Main street at First, Second, Third, Fourth and Fifth streets and from them light was thrown east and west a distance of fully two blocks. Merchants were urged to put lights in their places of business.

A man, wife and five children were found frozen to death, in a wagon, between Reece and El Dorado. In March, the First Congregational Church members decided to erect a new church building upon the present site. An attempt was made to move Neal west of its present location. Several Indians camped near Neal in March, searching for a young squaw.

The new town of Tonovay had a postoffice with J.E. Mee, merchant, as postmaster. The Soldiers and Sailors Bldg. Association of Severy was incorporated in April. A contract was let for the school building in Brookover's Addition. The building was to be 22 x 29 feet and two stories in height. Cost $2400. An estimated 5000 persons were in Eureka for the 4th of July celebration. The city council had purchased a hook and ladder truck, two fire extinguishers and other articles for $436. The Eureka Military Company had been organized with 35 members.

Title Page
1887 - 1888

You are the [an error occurred while processing this directive] reader since 28 April 1997

Used by permission of the Eureka Herald 1997, for the KSGenWeb Project

Copyright ©1997  Debbie Wafford / SLC, Utah   drwaff@mail.aros.net

The KSGenWeb logo is copyrighted for the exclusive use of the KSGenWeb Project for display on official KSGenWeb Pages only. Unauthorized use of the contents of this page for profit/commercial ventures is expressly prohibited.

Home to Greenwood County

Home Page for the
Kansas State Library
Search all of Blue Skyways
The KSGenWeb Project