A Century of Greenwood County, KS History - Eureka Herald, 1968


A sewer system was established in Eureka. An earthquake was felt in January. The Eureka Poultry Assoc. was organized in February. W.P. Bell had added two bathrooms to be run in connection with his barber shop in the Hotel Greenwood. A good flow of oil was struck at Severy in February, at a depth of 1250 feet. The academy had hired a Miss Michel to teach Manual Training. there were 1620 wagons in Greenwood County and 1294 pleasure carriages, with 9,269 horses.

Salaries for rural teachers were a bit higher this year - $40 per month. R.E. Teichgraeber had completed the new grain elevator. Severy was to have an opera house. The postoffice was moved to Third street. Linen handkerchiefs were five cents; lead pencils, four for one cent; flannel, five cents per yard; hair brushes, 19 cents; and Mennen talc powder, 15 cents.


A theatrical company, the Buster Brown players, refused to perform in Eureka after getting a squint at the opera house. The M.A. Miller store moved to the Collins block. The Frisco depot at Fall River burned to the ground in February. The Missouri and Kansas Telephone Co.'s new office and the installation of the new central energy system in Eureka was celebrated on April 11. E.P. Riggle opened a new general merchandise store in Utopia.

A movement was started to get a hospital for Eureka. It was opened during the year, a building 30 by 50 feet, two stories, with 16 rooms and basement, located on North Main, opposite the courthouse (north) (the present location of the Darling Apartments). Dr. E.J. Norman was the resident physician.

A desirable two-story frame residence, with four bedrooms, bath, dining room, parlor, kitchen and piazza could be erected for $3500. L.E. Bright opened a clothing store in the Crebo block.

Eureka was fast becoming an automobile town. Two fine touring cars were received by Ralph P. Robins (a 40 hp Pope-Hartford model) and Dr. W.T. Grove (a 22 hp Buick). Geo. K. Jackson had a machine on the way, a Duplex Stanhope with 40 inch solid rubber wheels, built much on the style of an ordinary buggy. The "honk wagon" brigade would soon no longer cause the natives to turn their necks when a car passed. A city ordinance was passed limiting the speed of automobiles within the city limits to six miles per hour.

Second street was reserved for autos during the fair. Charles Smith purchased the Greenwood Hotel in August. The cornerstone for the Pleasant Plains Methodist Episcopal Church was laid on Aug. 12. The Eureka Broom and Brush Factory moved to Emporia.

Crebo & Fischer grocery store moved to the new Crebo block. Rural Route 5 began operating out of Eureka on November 1. Piedmont had a new depot. Eureka High School football team was Southwestern Champions after defeating Wichita 18 - 0. The roller-skating fad had hit Eureka and the hall over Clark's drug store was being prepared for a rink and dance hall. The young people and those not so young were rapidly learning to keep their equilibrium on the little steel wheels. Another rink was opened in a tent west of the courthouse. This was later converted into a summer theatre.

Title Page
1908 - 1910

You are the [an error occurred while processing this directive] reader since 28 April 1997

Used by permission of the Eureka Herald 1997, for the KSGenWeb Project

Copyright ©1997  Debbie Wafford / SLC, Utah   drwaff@mail.aros.net

The KSGenWeb logo is copyrighted for the exclusive use of the KSGenWeb Project for display on official KSGenWeb Pages only. Unauthorized use of the contents of this page for profit/commercial ventures is expressly prohibited.

Home to Greenwood County

Home Page for the
Kansas State Library
Search all of Blue Skyways
The KSGenWeb Project