A Century of Greenwood County, KS History - Eureka Herald, 1968


Christ's English Lutheran Church was being remodeled. Resolutions were passed for the paving of Main street from 2nd to 5th streets, and for paving the abutting side streets, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th from Elm to Oak, making a total of 11 blocks of paving. Later, six more blocks of pavement were ordered by the city commissioners for Fifth street from the east side of Main to the east side of Greenwood. Petitions signed by a majority of property owners pushed action for 14 additional blocks of paving. At another meeting the commissioners passed an ordinance for four more blocks of paving on North Main, 70 feet wide from 5th to 7th and 50 feet wide from 7th to 9th. The paving had reached such proportions to give the town a boom aspect.

The library proposition being approved by the voters, a library board was organized for the public free Carnegie Library. The Carnegie Corp. of New York offered $9000 to the building and Mrs. P.H. Landergin bequeatherd $500 for books and furnishings. The one-story building, with full basement, was to face west at the corner of Sixth and Main. Work was being done to remodel the room formerly occupied by the Wood pool hall to be used for the Gem Theatre. Films shown were those shown in Kansas City and were of the highest class. Despite criticisms or hopes to the contrary, the motion picutre shows were a very popular source of amusement. Mr. Baxter's desire was to offer Eurekans shows of the highest standard.

A system of lighting was installed at Riverside Park. A special train was scheduled on the Santa Fe, August 21, for the Greenwood County Fair from Emporia to Eureka. The Eureka Light and Power Co. was contracted to install an electric motor to pump water from up-stream basin to the power plant in place of the gas engine. A garage was erected on the G.K. Jackson lots at the corner of Fourth and Main and was to be the largest in the state.

A permanent organization of Boy Scouts was formed when a number of men met to elect officers for the local council. Twenty-eight boys enrolled. A rain guage was installed in the front window of the First National Bank. Greenwood County bankers organized a county unit, backed by the Kansas Bankers Assoc. Banks represented were: State Bank of Reece, Climax State Bank, Hamilton State Bank, the First National Bank of Hamilton and the Eureka banks.


The Eureka Herald once more changed hands in January as Peffer & Peffer retired, giving credit to their success to the readers, merchants and business men who had been loyal friends. George C. Wood assumed ownership with the following statement: "In assuming the ownership of the Herald it is unnecessary to make a lengthly statement announcing my formula of political faith. There will be no radical change in the policy of the paper. Public men and measures will be discussed from week to week through the editorial column and the Herald will take into consideration a candidate's fitness for public office as well as his politics before giving him its support. It is my purpose to conduct a newspaper that may be depended upon to do the fair and decent thing in any emergency. It will be found loyal to the best interests of Eureka and Greenwood County and will endeavor to be of some service for the good in the community."

A Parent_Teacher organization was formed January 9. The Home National Bank, located in the Dibert block, was moving to the place occupied by the Palace Cafe on the west side of Main street between 2nd and 3rd streets. The future bank building was to have a new marble front.

The Eureka Auto Club, under the direction of Dr. C.C. Cheney, voted $75 to be used in assisting the city commissioners to make needed repairs on streets in Eureka. The Eureka Light & Power Co. had purchased the Eureka Ice Co. The new Carnegie Library had its formal opening September 25. The librarian was Miss Clover Mahan.

Help was asked for the starving million in Belgium. Flour, not money, was wanted. Greenwood County citizens responded by donating a car of flour in three days. Over $1000 was raised to ship the flour to the Belgians.

The "white way" made its appearance on Main street on December 4. Iron pillars lined each side of Main street from First of Fifth, making the old town look quite metropolitan. These lights had long been awauted.

Title Page
1915 - 1916

You are the [an error occurred while processing this directive] reader since 28 April 1997

Used by permission of the Eureka Herald 1997, for the KSGenWeb Project

Copyright ©1997  Debbie Wafford / SLC, Utah   drwaff@mail.aros.net

The KSGenWeb logo is copyrighted for the exclusive use of the KSGenWeb Project for display on official KSGenWeb Pages only. Unauthorized use of the contents of this page for profit/commercial ventures is expressly prohibited.

Home to Greenwood County

Home Page for the
Kansas State Library
Search all of Blue Skyways
The KSGenWeb Project