A Century of Greenwood County, KS History - Eureka Herald, 1968


The Madison Mirror was a new paper, published by Lawrence M. Shearer. Its competitor was the Madison News, edited by Eugene Kelley. Greenwood County decided to help raise funds for a proposed railroad line of the Olathe, Winfield and Arkansas City Railway Co. The line would pass through the county from the southwest corner to the northeast corner, touching territories previously from eight to 20 miles from a railroad. The county was asked to raise $1000. The Eureka Maroons, under the foremanship of A.W. Harstook, took part in the contests in Coffeyville at the State Fireman's Convention. The members came home with $225 in prize money.

L.F. Reed leased the lots just north of the courthouse square and started a lumber and coal business in August. Greenwood County was the prize "twin" county in Kansas. The census of Kansas showed the county could boast of 40 pairs of twins on March 1.

The state law governing the speed of automobiles under certain circumstances on county roads was as follows: The speed limit shall be 8 miles per hour when approaching a railroad crossing, when approaching an intersection of highways, when approaching a bridge or sharp curve, when approaching a steep descent or when approaching another vehicle or person, outside of any village or city. The penalty for violating this law was a fine of not to exceed $50 for the first offense.

The Santa Fe announced a new flag station, halfway between Hamilton and Madison Junction for the convenience of stock shippers. A new bank, the third in Madison, was opened in November and known as the Farmer's Bank. The new Princess Theatre was formally opened November 2 with "The Third Degree." We desired a playhouse worthy of an enterprising town like Eureka and it was at last realized.

J.R. Gray put down an edge for the floor in the Eureka Opera House. On nights when a show was not billed, the haul was to be open for a skating rink.


The city commissioners had awarded to J.S. Davis the contract for the construction of reinforced concrete dam across Fall River at the Branson ford. Two men were in town trying to interest the citizens a proposition to furnish gas to Eureka for domestic and commercial purposes from the well on the Lewis farm, southwest of town, or from wells to be drilled nearer town. Greenwood County was in the midst of an oil boom, the likes of which had never before been seen in this part of the country. The hotels were filled with wildcatters and speculators. Eureka now had two squads of National Guard.

Piedmont had a new paper, the Piedmont News, edited by J.S. Martin. Many people were receiving sprained and broken wrists from cranking their autos. One of the classiest baseball games of the year was played in May when the clerks on the east side of Main played the clerks on the west side - the "Window Polishers" vs "The Janitors." Some of the stars were Dr. Darling, James Burch, Russell Osborne, Ralph Miller, Clyde Frost, Pat Gordon and Harold Burt. The Delco light was being demonstrated in Eureka for farm use.

The National Guard had been called out in June for duty on the Mexican border. The Eureka unit was mobilized and 65 men left for Fort Riley on June 22. Everyone in Eureka was suffering from oil on the brain. Ten wells were being drilled in the county in July. M.A. Miller leased the Badger building on the east side of Main street and opened a bootery.

The city marshal was warning automobile owners that the state law and city ordinance prohibited a speed of more than 12 miles per hour and that front and rear lights should be displayed one-half hour after sunset. Sliced pineapple was selling for 2 cans for 25 cents; salmon 10 cents a can; peanut butter, 15 cents per lb.; and a gallon of peaches, 45 cents. The county was bankrupt, both the general fund and the road fund were exhausted. Oil was struck at Eureka in October on the Bitler lease, one-fourth mile east of town. A new bronze drinking fountain, donated by the WCTU, was installed in the southeast corner of the courtyard. W.F. McGinnis of El Dorado and Eureka had purchased the White building.

Title Page
1917 - 1918

You are the [an error occurred while processing this directive] reader since 28 April 1997

Used by permission of the Eureka Herald 1997, for the KSGenWeb Project

Copyright ©1997  Debbie Wafford / SLC, Utah   drwaff@mail.aros.net

The KSGenWeb logo is copyrighted for the exclusive use of the KSGenWeb Project for display on official KSGenWeb Pages only. Unauthorized use of the contents of this page for profit/commercial ventures is expressly prohibited.

Home to Greenwood County

Home Page for the
Kansas State Library
Search all of Blue Skyways
The KSGenWeb Project