A Century of Greenwood County, KS History - Eureka Herald, 1968


Greenwood County was to get food stamps February 1. Eight hundred families were eligible to receive stamps in the new method of distribution of food for relief clients. The daylight saving time schedule went into effect 2:00 a.m., Monday February 9, 1942, and most people turned their clocks ahead one hour before going to bed Sunday night. There was some confusion due to changes in opening hours of business houses and in the school schedule.

A new business firm, the Frock and Bonnet Shop, at 206 1/2 North Main opened in eureka, owned by G.R. Horn of Grenola and to be managed by Mrs. Richard Crebo of Eureka. A new manufacturing concern, an alfalfa dehydrating plant, was to be located four miles southeast of Eureka on the Mort Hughes land just west of the Santa Fe railway crossing at Highway 99. W.J. Small of Neodesha was the owner and operator of the plant which was to have a capacity of 100 tons per day.

The two passenger trains on the Missouri-Pacific line were removed as the government demanded the equipment for troop train movements and other operations. The first women's fire department in the state of Kansas was organized in Eureka on March 16. The department was organized for the purpose of aiding civilian defense by training the women how to act in an emergency and how to combat fire hazards by means of prevention. Their training consisted of all the rudiments of fire fighting including ladder work, handling of hose, rescue work and the assembling of equipment. M.E. (Cap) Souders, chief of the Eureka Fire Dept., had great hopes for this group of feminine fire-eaters, including Catherine Wiggins, Bettie Sluder, Elizabeth Peters, Dorothy Pomranky, Naomi Wardrip, Lois Davis, Viola Greeley, Mary Allen, Mary Meredith, Olga Souders and Meriem Roby, chief.

E.E. Jacobs, formerly of Oberlin, had purchased half-interest in the Home Furnishing Co. and was to be active in the management of the business. He had been engaged in the furniture and undertaking business at Oberlin for 18 years. As the need for scrap metal became more urgent, Greenwood County citizens rallied to ship 99 tons of scrap our of Eureka during one week.

The sheriff's posse intercepted two truck loads of booze on Highway 96 between Piedmont and Fall River to confiscate 1880 pints of liquor, bound for Wichita. A farm machinery rationing committee had been selected to make arrangements with dealers for the rationing of farm machinery in the county for the duration of the war. The Griggs Shoe Store quit business as Kenneth Griggs, proprietor, had made application for enlistment in the Army Air Force and expected to be in the armed services soon.

The following appeared in the September 17 issue: Please be brief - in common with everyone else, newspapers find themselves under great handicap these days. In order to give proper publicity to things pertaining to the war effort, some contributions which ordinarily would be published must be omitted. so we are asking contributors to be brief. We want all the news, but find we have neither the time nor the facilities to print the details that would be acceptable in normal times. Each week some things have to be omitted. So please keep this in mind. Tell the facts in as few words as possible. Thank you. The Herald.


Mrs. Hazel B. Souders was appointed acting postmaster at the Eureka office to serve while the regular postmaster, Geo. E. Hull, was in the U.S. armed service. Herbert Smith (Smitty) purchased the Basement Bar from William Russell and took over the ownership on Jan. 1. In collaboration with Uncle Sam's nationwide hunt for copper, Monday, January 25, was set aside by the movie theatres as "Copper Collection Day." Four ounces or more of war-precious copper was a ticket of admission to the Princess Theatre.

Don Rice, pharmacist at the Rexall Drug Store in Eureka for three years, purchased an interest in the business from Earl Rickerd, who was stationed at Coffeyville. The firm was known as Rickerd & Rice, with Rice as resident manager. Within the next few months, Eureka was to have a new Basham Hospital. The Doctors Basham had purchased the Lyndon Hotel from Mr. and Mrs. C.E. Tuttle. Work was to start on its conversion into a hospital as soon as authorization from the War Production Board was received. The building was large and conveniently located.

The Herald was 75 years old on July 4. John C. Stapp was transferred to Arkansas City to become manager of the J.C. Penny store there. His successor at the local store was Jack Bayless. Francis Vanhaverbeke purchased the interests of his brother and sister, John and Jennie, in the Eureka Greenhouses and assumed full management of the business.

Charles Sweely, formerly of Wichita, was the new manager of Safeway store, succeeding Clarence Arthur Biggs, who was inducted into the U.S. Coast Guard. The Bratton Tire Shop, which had been closed for some time, opened for business, with Don Bratton and Curtis McClintick as proprietors.

Title Page
1944 - 1946

You are the [an error occurred while processing this directive] reader since 28 April 1997

Used by permission of the Eureka Herald 1997, for the KSGenWeb Project

Copyright ©1997  Debbie Wafford / SLC, Utah   drwaff@mail.aros.net

The KSGenWeb logo is copyrighted for the exclusive use of the KSGenWeb Project for display on official KSGenWeb Pages only. Unauthorized use of the contents of this page for profit/commercial ventures is expressly prohibited.

Home to Greenwood County

Home Page for the
Kansas State Library
Search all of Blue Skyways
The KSGenWeb Project