A Century of Greenwood County, KS History - Eureka Herald, 1968


The change in ownership of the City Drug Store was announced with the purchase of the business by L.B. (Mac) McCarthney and Howard Willoughby from R.C. Morris. The scrapping of the Santa Fe line between Virgil and Benedict had to continue as a matter of necessity in wartime.

The Electric Show Shop 43-opened in a room east of the Greenwood Beauty Shop, after a revision in the selective service age law allowed Ralph Stuck to return home. Dr. Beterf moved from the shoe shop room to the room west of the beauty shop in the Greenwood Hotel, now being vacated by the local Red Cross. The Red Cross moved to the room known as the old Citizens National Bank location in the Crebo building.

Day and Nite Grocery, now operating under the IGA plan with L.L. jones as manager, was being entirely redecorated and remodeled. The new set-up provided for self-service and a more convenient arrangement for checking our customers. The work on remodeling and redecorating of the building to be occupied by the Eureka Monument and Mausoleum Co. on North Main was nearing completion. C.N. McCarter was the proprietor and Jule Anderson was local manager. Blood caravans were making trips to Emporia to donate blood.

No ration points were required on veal but sirloin steak took 13 points; T-bone steak, 14 points; a can of tomatoes, 7; tomato juice, 18; jar of grape jelly, 2 and sugar ration stamps were good for five pounds of sugar.


A series of coyote drives were being sponsored by the American Legion and Chamber of Commerce in response to an appeal from farmers that something be done to eradicate the coyote menace. F.J. McCue was sworn in as a state senator in Topeka. Many Eureka boys were reported missing in action, several had been wounded and several had been killed in action. George G. Wood, editor of the Herald for nearly 40 years, died suddenly on January 18.

On February 1, the War Production Board placed light restrictions on advertising and promotional purposes - no outdoor advertising, no display lighting, no show window lighting, no marquee lighting in excess of 60 watts and no street lighting except as necessary for public safety. The city had purchased a new street sweeper-flusher. Home-canning sugar had been added to the tire and gasoline rationing.

C.E. Moore, a 62-year resident of Eureka, died in April. President Franklin D. Roosevelt died April 12 in Warm Springs, Ga. Charles Bovard, with the Herald for 21 years, moved to Moran to publish the Moran Herald. The Seventh War Loan Bond Drive started in May with a county quota of $596,000. Hostilities ceased in Europe on May 8. More than 1000 people gathered in Memorial Hall on VE Day to participate in a special memorial and thanksgiving service, sponsored by the Ministerial Assoc. and Chamber of Commerce. The armistice celebration here was not boisterous but meaningful and significant.

Eureka was host to the state Regional Track Meet with 400 athletes taking part. M.A. Miller, in business here 64 years, died in May. R.L. Dodd was elected junior high principal. Eureka celebrated Independence Day without fireworks. A few limp firecrackers brought out from pre-war supplies made little more noise than the matches which the youngsters pounded with hammers. The city streets were deserted as residents confined themselves to relaxation.

Dr. W.E. Janes, prominent Eureka physician since 1919, died in July. A new elementary school law offered the way to reorganize and consolidate rural schools. Ed Ladd, 76, a prominent citizen and world traveler, died in August. The long-awaited VJ-Day arrived on August 14. The downtown streets were full of people, shouting, laughing, making noises with whatever they could find. Cars, led by the fire trucks, paraded through all the streets with horns and sirens blasting. Some had attached tubs and pans to bumpers and they clattered merrily on the pavements. If there was a paper shortage, it was forgotten on that Tuesday evening as scraps of every type fluttered down from upstairs windows. Third street from Main to Oak was blocked off for a dance. The celebration lasted until early morning and all business houses were closed on Wednesday and the tired but happy people rested. Meanwhile, another battle had just begun - that of picking up the pieces of a shattered world and fashioning a new and brighter one.

Eldon Donaldson had purchased the Betsher Laundry. Hugh Dennis opened his insurance agency at 212 1/2 North Main in September. The Rexall Drug and Reno Hardware were damaged by fire in October.


Eurekans celebrated the first peacetime New Year very quietly. The BPW was sponsoring a Victory Clothing Drive. A total of 10,000 articles were shipped, including 1,076 pairs of shoes. The M.E.Mozingo family, who had been in Eureka 25 years, sold their studio to F.C. Brown of Wichita. Bill Mason began his duties as pharmacist at the Rexall Drug in January. Main street was aglow with its new street lights.

Fire destroyed No. 11 schoolhouse in January. Dr. W.G. Crebo, Jr. announced the opening of his dental office February 5. Shirley Ott purchased the Porter Grocery on North Main. eureka firms were offering on-the-job training for veterans. Mabel Gordon purchased the Nixon Insurance business. The Crebo building, built in 1890, was sold to three separate buyers - S.T. Freeman and H.O. McManis, E.J.Marshall and Mrs. R.B. Osborne.

Miss Emma Smith observed her 25th year with the city library. Eddie Todd and Crayton Gardner had opened a new barber shop off the lobby of the Greenwood Hotel. Mrs. Harriett Focht, editor of the Democratic Messenger, died in March. A bond election in April for $60,000 for a proposed addition the high school carried by 482 to 421. A contract was awarded to Arcole Midwest in the amount of $6,107,053.90 for the construction of the Fall River dam and reservoir.

The Paul Appliance and J.T. Francis Plumbing had consolidated under the name of Francis-Paul Appliance. Don Rice sold his interest in the Rexall Drug Store to Earl Rickerd and purchased a store in Hutchinson. The big drive was underway for a swimming pool and construction was stated in September. Robe Hardware opened its doors at 105 N. Main on June 22.

Prices were holding firm as OPA control ended in the nation. The Greenwood County Fair was to resume after being discontinued in 1943 due to World War II. The Messenger was sold to Burt Doze in September. A new Goodrich store opened in Eureka with Ted Freeman and H.O. McManis, owner, on September 14. One thousand workers at the Fall River dam went on a strike in September.

J.J. Wardrip and Elmo Miliken were manufacturing a bait-saving float. The city commission called for a bond election for a light plant in the amount of $240,000. following many heated debates, propaganda, etc., the issue was defeated. J.C. Penny store opened in its new location, 213 North Main, in October. The Miller Clothing Store, operated by Ralph Miller, was re-opened in its new location, 207 North Main.

Roger Babson quietly arrived in Eureka and purchased property here in October. A charter was granted in November for Utopia College and class sessions were to begin in September. The Exchange Club of Eureka received its charter in December. A youth center was opened on Dec 21. Kenneth Rockhill was a new lawyer in Eureka.

Title Page
1947 - 1948

You are the [an error occurred while processing this directive] reader since 28 April 1997

Used by permission of the Eureka Herald 1997, for the KSGenWeb Project

Copyright ©1997  Debbie Wafford / SLC, Utah   drwaff@mail.aros.net

The KSGenWeb logo is copyrighted for the exclusive use of the KSGenWeb Project for display on official KSGenWeb Pages only. Unauthorized use of the contents of this page for profit/commercial ventures is expressly prohibited.

Home to Greenwood County

Home Page for the
Kansas State Library
Search all of Blue Skyways
The KSGenWeb Project