A Century of Greenwood County, KS History - Eureka Herald, 1968


W.E. Sears acquired sole interest in the Cox & Sears Insurance Agency located in the Freeman-McManis building, 224 1/2 North Main. Kenneth and Maxine Griggs purchased the Park & Park Booterie, 208 North Main. Plans were made to purchase new lines of shoes and to redecorate the store in the near future. A new business, the Hollywood Accessories Shop, was to open at 609 East Seventh, with Lester Kidd as proprietor. John Branson sold his one-third interest in the Greenwood Alfalfa Mill, Inc. to the co-owners, A.E. Green and Jack Wallace.

The eureka Messenger, operated by Burt Doze for the past four years was sold to Malcolm Higgins and L.G. DeLay of Salina. C.C. Boles announced the sale of the Boles Dry Goods Store, formerly the Miller Dry Goods and Ready to Wear store, to Johnston & Larimer, Inc. of Wichita, L.V. Rae was the new manager.

William J. Joyce and family of Washington, D.C. moved to Eureka where Mr. Joyce was to become the new manager of the Family Shoe Store, 208 North Main, recently purchased by Mr. and Mrs. Kenneth Griggs. Lyle C. Baird made another addition to Eureka's progress with completion of the Eureka Motel, corner of River and Main streets on U.S. Highway 54. The Eureka Motel was of ranch-type style and was composed of 17 units and living quarters for the owner.

Pontiac Motor Division of General Motors had named the Brenton auto Service of Eureka to the Better Dealer "Hall of Fame" for outstanding dealer accomplishments. Frazier's Greenwood Cafe, with its new horseshoe counter and other facilities, was to open soon. Seating capacity of the new cafe was ample for 66 persons with 10 stools at the counter.

R.H. Cross, operator of the Eureka Studio & Camera Shop, purchased the building at 117 West Third from C.W. Criswell and planned to move to this new location. Dr. Robert Obourn of St. Louis, Mo. opened an office in Eureka at 111 W. Third for the general practice of medicine. The county and city commissioners, augmented by the eureka Chamber of Commerce, met and unanimously agreed to convert the west half of the courthouse square into a free parking area.

Jim Sharp of eureka accepted the position of manager of the Family Shoe Store. Parking meters were installed in Eureka on a trial period of six months. The meters were located on Main street from First to Fifth streets and in some areas on Third between Oak and Elm. The parking violation penalties were as follows: five cents if paid within one hour; then cents if paid within two hours, and 25 cents if paid within four hours. If not paid within four hours, the full penalty was to be applied.

One of the finest and most modern stores in this area opened when Rhudy's store moved to 216 North Main under the new name of Zenishck's. The new store, with its t0-foot front and 4250 square feet of floor space, had been renovated throughout with the very latest in modern store fixtures, new lighting and air conditioning.

Eureka solved its double parking problem. There was a city ordinance against double parking which carried a fine of $3. Jesse L. Dunn was the new manager of Safeway. Bill Hartong of Wichita purchased an interest in Millikens, Inc. Hartong was to be general manager of the business to be known as Hartong-Milliken, Inc.

Mr. and Mrs. Bill Lindsey returned to Eureka and Mr. Lindsey started work at the Eureka Herald. While previously employed at the Herald, he was called back into the service as a reserve in October, 1950. Sherar-Williams, Eureka's new men's store, held its formal opening after being closed for remodeling and redecorating.


H.B. Dennis purchased Frazier's Greenwood Cafe from T.C. Frazier of Kansas City. Dennis also continued in the contracting business with Floyd Mansfield in charge of the H.B. Dennis Co. A new store, the Friendly Market, opened at 209 E. River, operated by Gene and Dorothy Duncan. Charles Taylor was the manager of the Eureka Foodtown Supermarket. Jim Cassin bought the Butler electric Co., owned by Wayne E. Butler. Cassin operated the shop under the name of Cassin Electric.

A group of Eureka businessmen joined in the organization of the Eureka Bowling Alley, located at 115 West Third. Charles Berry was to be in charge of the business, with four alleys for five-back to be installed. Robe Hardware & Auto Supply held its grand opening at the new location, 109 North Main, formerly occupied by Murray Baking Co. A grand opening was held for the Frigid Queen ice cream business, corner of Main and River, owned by M.C. Wallace.

Dr. P.L. Needham opened dental offices in the offices formerly occupied by Dr. C.M. Cheney. Remodeling had been completed and air conditioning installed. Employees of Phillips Petroleum Co. and their families gathered at the Phillips recreation area at Eureka Lake to celebrate the completion of their new lodge building - a 18 x 56 foot concrete structure of cement blocks.

E.A. Hibbard, formerly of Fredonia, opened an abstract office in Eureka. Marion Hardin purchased the Family Shoe Store in Eureka from Kenneth Griggs. Washburn Studio held its formal opening in its new downstairs quarters, 118 North Main. The building, formerly occupied by Downard's Market, was completely redecorated and partitioned into rooms. The grand formal opening of the Frank Bland Sinclair Service Station was held with free gifts of roses for the ladies, billfolds for the men and balloons for the kiddies.

Eureka had a new business enterprise when Loben Jewelers opened business at 123 North Main in the Clever building, formerly occupied by Rhudy's. Francis-Paul Appliance Co. dissolved partnership with J.T. Francis and Roy Paul to operate separate businesses. Francis Plumbing & Heating would occupy the location at 306 North Main. Paul moved to a new location at 312 North Main where he opened an appliance store and phonograph record department.

Consolidation of the Eureka Herald and Eureka Messenger, to be published as the Eureka Herald by Edwin T. Wood, was consummated on November 22, 1952. The purchase of the Eureka Messenger was made from Leigh DeLay and Malcom Higgins.

Title Page
1953 - 1954

You are the [an error occurred while processing this directive] reader since 28 April 1997

Used by permission of the Eureka Herald 1997, for the KSGenWeb Project

Copyright ©1997  Debbie Wafford / SLC, Utah   drwaff@mail.aros.net

The KSGenWeb logo is copyrighted for the exclusive use of the KSGenWeb Project for display on official KSGenWeb Pages only. Unauthorized use of the contents of this page for profit/commercial ventures is expressly prohibited.

Home to Greenwood County

Home Page for the
Kansas State Library
Search all of Blue Skyways
The KSGenWeb Project