The following history was taken from "The Harper County Story" by Gwendoline & Paul Sanders Copyright 1968, Library of Congress call number 68-54660, The Mennonite Press, Newton, KS
Coleville was the original name of the town of Danville. Coleville was named for Mrs. E.J. Cole who laid out the town. The town company purchased twelve acres and changed the name of the town to Danville. Several of the early residents had come from Danville, Ohio. A number of the people who settled here were French and of the Roman Catholic faith.
The first postmaster of Coleville was Mrs. J.E. Wilson. The office of Coleville closed January 25, 1882 to become the Danville post office.
Click Here for the Town Plat Maps Page
Click Here for Pictures of this Town
Harper County KSGenWeb
Maintained by Harper County Genealogical Society as part of the KSGenWeb Project.
Material on this page is the property of the Society and all rights are reserved.
Should you find a link that does not work properly please notify the webmaster.