The following history was taken from "The Harper County Story" by Gwendoline & Paul Sanders Copyright 1968, Library of Congress call number 68-54660, The Mennonite Press, Newton, KS
On May 10, 1882, Chester A. Arthur, President of the United States, signed documents giving William O. Butler ownership of the south one-half of the northwest one-fourth, section 3, township 31, range 7 west. Recorded in Book E, page 83. It was on this location that the village of Duquoin was built. The post office was opened May 23, 1893 with Walter E. Fitch as postmaster. In 1910 there was a telegraph and express office, general stores, two grain elevators and a flour mill. The population was 75.
At the present time the population is 13. One two-teacher school with 20 students is located three miles south of Duquoin. The post office is located at Pine and Main and was built in 1912. Duquoin now has an elevator with 200,000 bushel capacity, a grocery store and the Church of Christ with 35 members.
Three of the original town promoters were Dave Brown, Newt Brown and Thomas Craig.
Legend has it that the first Duquoin was located one mile south and one mile west of the present location. We found no records to this effect; however, this is probably the case and the post office was moved to the new townsite on the railroad and the new town carried the name of the already established post office.
Click Here for the Town Plat Maps Page
Click Here for Pictures of this Town
Harper County KSGenWeb
Maintained by Harper County Genealogical Society as part of the KSGenWeb Project.
Material on this page is the property of the Society and all rights are reserved.
Should you find a link that does not work properly please notify the webmaster.