Stohrville-Singer Cemetery land for the Singer Cemetery was donated and laid out by
Francis B. and Victoria Singer, and son, Simon Singer on April 26, 1886. The first to be
buried in the cemetery was Victoria (Stohr) Singer on November 19, 1886. She was the first
wife of Francis B. Singer. The tall monument in the exact center of the cemetery marks the
family lot where she is buried along with other Singer family members. F.B. Singer, who
had been appointed county commissioner by the Governor, named the township Stohrville, for
his wife's maiden name. Later the line of the township was moved and that placed their
land in Silver Creek Township. The cemetery was originally called Stohrville but later
changed to Singer Cemetery.
Mr. Singer was a native of Germany born in Wittenberg March 24, 1827. He emigrated to America in 1846 and two years later married Victoria E. Stohr of New Jersey, who died November 18, 1886. Fourteen children were born to them. Mr. Singer again married august 17, 1887 to Anna D. Krantz of Arkansas. Mr. Singer and family came from Illinois to Kansas in 1877. He was the first county commissioner of Harper County, appointed by the Governor and re-elected twice thereafter. He was a Master Mason.
(The above taken from the "BLUFF CITY CENTENNIAL 1886-1986")
Harper County KSGenWeb
Maintained by Harper County Genealogical Society as part of the KSGenWeb Project.
Material on this page is the property of the Society and all rights are reserved.
Should you find a link that does not work properly please notify the webmaster.